Now is the Kimber of Our Discontent - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Now is the Kimber of Our Discontent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5625 Times on 2940 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I always hear that it's because they build them so tight as a semi custom. I've never owned one myself and don't think I ever will, as IT'S MY OPINION that they are overpriced for what they are. If I wanted something like that, I'd save a little more money and get an ed brown or les baer. 2 more I have no experience with, but they look like a better value, and I hear the warranty and customer service is heads and shoulders above kimber.

I'd probably end up with a springfield though. I'm broke as the ten commandments.
The very first 100 or so kimbers out the door were semi-custom. Those all went to media hacks like gunsandammo's head moron jan liberoule(sp?). The ones sold to everday people are just mass produced firearms with basic assembly and little attention to detail.

My opinion: hipoint puts more effort into qc than kimber does.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-17-2011, 03:45 PM   #12

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

The very first 100 or so kimbers out the door were semi-custom. Those all went to media hacks like gunsandammo's head moron jan liberoule(sp?). The ones sold to everday people are just mass produced firearms with basic assembly and little attention to detail.

My opinion: hipoint puts more effort into qc than kimber does.
That last part... Burn baby burn!!! that's cold man, I don't think even I would go that far. It's probably true though. Their motto is something like "quality guns everyone can afford" I think (hi point)

Old 11-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #13

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Don't own any Kimbers...because of what has been previously stated and past personal experience.

Their often hit and miss reputation and their customer service. YMMV

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 11-18-2011, 01:13 AM   #14

Sorry to hear about your disappointments with Kimber. I have owned several and still shoot them for pleasure and in competition, without a doubt one of the finest firearms made. Their customer service has always been professional and helpful on the rare occassion I have called them. One of my best friends and longtime shooting partner is a certified gunsmith so my custom work and maintenance is always
quick and easy. The more custom the weapon the bigger the need for a good gunsmith and a good relationship with that gunsmith.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #15

Default It certainly is customer service

Its all a bunch of hooey. I own 6 1911s on top of the 2 limbers. Only 1 has not had any issues at all (an SA loaded with at least 10k rounds). The limbers finish is nicer and when it's not malfunctioning it run like butter. The trigger Kimber has an issue with is maybe the best feature of the gun, and it was tuned by their own smith!! If Kimber had the customer service of Baer (I have one of those too), these posts would be very different. I get the gun back on Monday. I'll follow up with whatever is in the box. Also, thanks for the messages on how to remedy and suggestions for a smith.

Max

Old 11-19-2011, 03:24 AM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When I start to have feed issues with my 1911's, I find it usually is either the magazine springs or the extractor is losing tension and in need of replacement.

Oh, yes you can modify the feed ramp on a 1911 and then cause it to not feed right. The 1911 is a controlled feed design. That little gap between the chamber and the ramp needs to be there. Different makers of magazines will play with the release of the cartridge, with the Wilson 47D being almost a straight in feed.

-Bidah

Old 11-19-2011, 03:51 AM   #17

No customer service is like the Springfield armory customer service. Justified. Sorry you that u are another victim of kimber. Hope all goes well!

Old 11-19-2011, 04:16 AM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Call Tom Gresham's Gun Talk, Sunday 1-4 pm Central time. 866-TALK GUNS. He's buddies with the Kimber honchos and hearing your story on a nation wide radio show might prompt them to take some positive action.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:40 AM   #19

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall
Call Tom Gresham's Gun Talk, Sunday 1-4 pm Central time. 866-TALK GUNS. He's buddies with the Kimber honchos and hearing your story on a nation wide radio show might prompt them to take some positive action.
nothing like a little shame or bad publicity to get someone to do the right thing.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #20

Liked 1441 Times on 875 Posts
Likes Given: 335

My basic Springfield 1911a1 is nearly 20 years old, I am gussing 10-20k ammo down the tube. I carry it daily. This pistol has never been in a gunsmith's shop. I could have bought three of them for the price of a Kimber.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan