You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

Nighthawk's and other high end 1911's


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,152
Liked 29 Times on 7 Posts

Default

JD's just a freaking gun snob.

In all seriousness, the comment by dan_fl "buy the best you can afford" is good advice. I'd also add "that meets your needs" to the statement. None of mine are high end as while I can afford them I just didn't need them. My Springer's serve me well and I'm very satisfied with their performance. For me, the custom shop guns are more like works of art than tools - and I just prefer tools. Iff'n I bought one I'd probably keep it sealed in the safe for fear of scratches...
NGIB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stafford, Virginia,The state of insanity.
Posts: 14,043
Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts

Default

Don't believe JD yunus.

It makes your vonsluker much bigger.

It is proven time and time again all over the interwebz.
cpttango30 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ubergopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,216
Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Don't believe JD yunus.

It makes your vonsluker much bigger.

It is proven time and time again all over the interwebz.
The internet never lies.
__________________
"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory
Ubergopher is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
spittinfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maiden,NC
Posts: 9,663
Liked 88 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
JD's just a freaking gun snob.

In all seriousness, the comment by dan_fl "buy the best you can afford" is good advice. I'd also add "that meets your needs" to the statement. None of mine are high end as while I can afford them I just didn't need them. My Springer's serve me well and I'm very satisfied with their performance. For me, the custom shop guns are more like works of art than tools - and I just prefer tools. Iff'n I bought one I'd probably keep it sealed in the safe for fear of scratches...
This is how I feel about it.
__________________
If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer
spittinfire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lonyaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 10,394
Liked 75 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

I look at firearms as an investment to some extent. They are one of the only toys I know of that can actually hold or increase in value over time while I play with it, and that's a really good thing.

If you buy a $500 Callaway driver or a $400 Scotty Cameron putter, they're each worth about maybe $150 the minute you walk out the door with them.

We all know how much cars depreciate, in general, after you drive off the lot.

Some photo equipment can retain value pretty well, but most doesn't.

I doubt that high-end 1911s will appreciate at a higher rate than the others. With either one, at least you're not going to LOSE a ton of money after you put the first round through.

So, if you can afford one or more of the expensive 1911s on the front end, you sure have something nice in your hand that you're not going to take a beating on in the future.
lonyaeger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yunus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: |,Maryland
Posts: 5,252
Liked 1483 Times on 876 Posts
Likes Given: 466

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
I look at firearms as an investment to some extent. They are one of the only toys I know of that can actually hold or increase in value over time while I play with it, and that's a really good thing.

If you buy a $500 Callaway driver or a $400 Scotty Cameron putter, they're each worth about maybe $150 the minute you walk out the door with them.

We all know how much cars depreciate, in general, after you drive off the lot.

Some photo equipment can retain value pretty well, but most doesn't.

I doubt that high-end 1911s will appreciate at a higher rate than the others. With either one, at least you're not going to LOSE a ton of money after you put the first round through.

So, if you can afford one or more of the expensive 1911s on the front end, you sure have something nice in your hand that you're not going to take a beating on in the future.
That's a good point and something I had not considered. Although I would think that if you truly customize a gun to be built for you then the value might be higher to you the person it was built for than someone you are trying to sell it to, but I guess it would depend on what type of customizing you have done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Don't believe JD yunus.

It makes your vonsluker much bigger.

It is proven time and time again all over the interwebz.
Well that's it, I'm sold
__________________
"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson
"Do stupid things, win stupid prizes"
Yunus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lonyaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 10,394
Liked 75 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Wasn't really talking about "custom-built." Two of my 1911s have the word "Custom" in the name, but I've kept them stock other than the grips and the magazines.

Not sure if making your own custom changes to a pistol would help with the resale or actually maybe hinder it.....?
lonyaeger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:03 PM   #18
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 19,861
Liked 7380 Times on 3940 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
That's a good point and something I had not considered. Although I would think that if you truly customize a gun to be built for you then the value might be higher to you the person it was built for than someone you are trying to sell it to, but I guess it would depend on what type of customizing you have done.



Well that's it, I'm sold
Depends on if your famous or notorious. In general customized(non-reversable kinds) are far more difficult to sell so they don't hold value well. There are tons of ww2 1911 out there that were customized and lots of series 70 colts that are worth far less than lesser well used samples that had not been.

Production guns from a custom shop hold value so long as they haven't been personalized.
__________________
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:03 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BombDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bagram,Afghanistan
Posts: 243
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I had this same question. I have several 1911s. I finally decided to buy a high-end 1911 after I saw what was being developed for the USMC. I tried to buy a Unertl MEU-SOC 1911. $3K was just a bit too much for me, not because of price but because that's just crazy. I asked around and found out who they got their parts from. A call to Caspian and Wilson and a nice Military discount and I was on my way to make my own. So, minus the green finish I built my own and had a 'smith check it as I went. It's not perfect by any means. I'm still learning.

My point is, I built it like most people build any hot rod; piece by piece. All in all it ran me just over $1K. I should have went with a different barrel but it's a learning process. It's worth nothing to anyone else but that's the beauty of it being mine. I never buy firearms for the purpose of holding value. To me, that's like buying nice work boots because they have a better brand name. They're only worth anything to the person using them.
__________________
Josh-US Army EOD (Bomb Squad)
Plenty of firearms and ammo.
A couple diesels sitting around.
Lots of learning to be done!!

Lifetime NRA Member

Last edited by BombDoc; 01-18-2011 at 01:09 PM.
BombDoc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lonyaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 10,394
Liked 75 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Depends on if your famous or notorious. In general customized(non-reversable kinds) are far more difficult to sell so they don't hold value well. There are tons of ww2 1911 out there that were customized and lots of series 70 colts that are worth far less than lesser well used samples that had not been.

Production guns from a custom shop hold value so long as they haven't been personalized.
Kinda like adding a swimming pool to your house. You would think that it would add to the value....but if you go to sell it, you find that you've effectively shrunken the market.
lonyaeger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Looking into the 1911's Ryanralston07 1911 Forum 11 11-22-2010 06:37 PM
My two new 1911's washabra 1911 Forum 10 05-28-2010 06:18 AM
Non-.45 1911's? hogger129 1911 Forum 21 09-20-2009 10:43 PM
sa 1911's dicky0331 1911 Forum 11 12-13-2008 07:02 PM