night sights,or crimson trace - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

night sights,or crimson trace

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 04:32 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

After years of using night sights I no longer buy them. If you are shooting with a light in hand normal sights are backlit and work fine. If you don't have time to use your light you are point shooting anyway.

Crimson trace lasers are the answer although I don't own one at this time. They come on when you grip the gun and confirm your sight picture. They are a huge deferent also.

The reason I don't own one? My high index blocks the beam so under pressure I see nothing on target because my laser dot is on my finger which is touching the barrel hood of my G17 until I decide to shoot.

If the ever make one that actuates out the front guide rod by gripping the grip that is reliable, I will buy it.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:19 AM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Id say night sights. No time to fiddle with a laser in a sticky situation.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. –Samuel Adams

Old 03-20-2012, 05:29 AM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Night sights are great...I use them as well. Fiddling with or turning on a laser...shouldn't be an issue. You leave them on all the time it doesn't drain it and gripping the pistol tight shines it.

Idk about y'all but if I seen a glowing red light shining a path towards me...I'm running, but then again I'm no thief or trouble so I've nothing to worry about. But I can say if I have to shine it on someone they better hope they can fly cause soon to follow will he a loud boom. Not that ill rely on it cause I got green dots to go by and I'd prefer those cause there's no room for failure with them. Really a laser is more of a hey, you been had scare tactic n my opinion. Crossed me mind to sell mine...

Old 03-20-2012, 05:40 AM   #14

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake

Well said NativH!
No it was not! If I squeeze the grip, the laser cuts on nothing complicated in that. Now I can bend over, shoot between my legs and hit the bullseye without ever looking down the sights.
I know that is an extreme situation but what you Nay Sayers are missing is the fact that you can pin point a target without ever raising your pistol to focus down your sights to make sure you are on target and not shoot an innocent to the left or right or that you round will miss your intended target and possibility go through a wall and hit a family member.

I'm a good shot without a laser but my time to acquire a target and hit are significantly reduced with Crimson Trace laser grips maybe there are other laser that are more complicated and might slow you down but these are not them.

I know there are videos on YouTube about crimson trace shooting tips and training, maybe some of you should watch them.

I know John Moses Browning didn't invent them but its time to move on.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 337 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Training: Rob Letham (sp) has a video on YouTube where he demonstrates how to use a Laser to perfect trigger control.

I have a CT laser and it does turn on when you grip the pistol - automatically. W/O a laser, you are just point shooting and that is the quickest way to miss I know of.

A point already brought up but worth mentioning again is W the laser, the gun can be accurately fired from the hip or 2nd step in draw vs 4th step and that time savings could be the difference between life and death.

Experienced shooters have learned to use lasers to aim while keeping themselves behind cover.

My brother is a LEO. He had a laser on his Glock and has had to use it twice. Both times it had a dramatic effect on the suspect and he didn't have to discharge his firearm. Keeps lawyers unemployed...(note: he had to remove it)

Nothing can take the place of training but if lasers can make you a better shooter, why wouldn't you want them ?

Old 03-21-2012, 01:44 AM   #16

Liked 1443 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunRunner View Post
No it was not! If I squeeze the grip, the laser cuts on nothing complicated in that. Now I can bend over, shoot between my legs and hit the bullseye without ever looking down the sights.
I know that is an extreme situation but what you Nay Sayers are missing is the fact that you can pin point a target without ever raising your pistol to focus down your sights to make sure you are on target and not shoot an innocent to the left or right or that you round will miss your intended target and possibility go through a wall and hit a family member.

I'm a good shot without a laser but my time to acquire a target and hit are significantly reduced with Crimson Trace laser grips maybe there are other laser that are more complicated and might slow you down but these are not them.

I know there are videos on YouTube about crimson trace shooting tips and training, maybe some of you should watch them.

I know John Moses Browning didn't invent them but its time to move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
Training: Rob Letham (sp) has a video on YouTube where he demonstrates how to use a Laser to perfect trigger control.

I have a CT laser and it does turn on when you grip the pistol - automatically. W/O a laser, you are just point shooting and that is the quickest way to miss I know of.

A point already brought up but worth mentioning again is W the laser, the gun can be accurately fired from the hip or 2nd step in draw vs 4th step and that time savings could be the difference between life and death.

Experienced shooters have learned to use lasers to aim while keeping themselves behind cover.

My brother is a LEO. He had a laser on his Glock and has had to use it twice. Both times it had a dramatic effect on the suspect and he didn't have to discharge his firearm. Keeps lawyers unemployed...(note: he had to remove it)

Nothing can take the place of training but if lasers can make you a better shooter, why wouldn't you want them ?
I respect both of your convictions.

With that said, these guys did alright without the aid of lasers.

jellybrycebilljordan.jpg

And so did this bunch.

raychapmaneldoncarlthellreedjeffcooperjackweaver.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-21-2012, 02:09 AM   #17

I've done a fair bit of point shooting and trained with Roger Phillips before he joined Suarez Intl and can tell you that Paul Howe has it right on this subject along with many others.

Most people don't shoot enough to know how to use their sights let alone point shoot which is even more perishable of a skill.

There is no downside to a laser for someone that already know how to index shoot and use sights, none.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:15 AM   #18

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcguns
I've done a fair bit of point shooting and trained with Roger Phillips before he joined Suarez Intl and can tell you that Paul Howe has it right on this subject along with many others.

Most people don't shoot enough to know how to use their sights let alone point shoot which is even more perishable of a skill.

There is no downside to a laser for someone that already know how to index shoot and use sights, none.
This I agree with, if a person can hit the bullseye all day with a laser but can't find the paper without it then yes I can see Murphy's law causing a bad out come.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:41 AM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

True story...again I have both.

Shooting with a relative he says to me "you can do pretty good with that laser"
I replied, "really? Funny thing is, its daylight and im not using it" I was just pulling up and instinctively knocking down a few 2 liters from about 20 yards.

I don't care what you shoot or what extras are on it... if you do not have a feel for the tool it wont perform as you desire.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #20

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2032 Times on 1124 Posts
Likes Given: 6091

My Crimson Trace stays in the on position, activated by grip alone, no other action required.
My Mepro Nite Site glows during the day, all the time

I notice neither during day shooting, but find them both to be a very natural extension as dusk / night falls.

My predators tend to be coyotes and raccoons, but great practice for when they get up and walk on two legs.