Nice case but worried about corrosion
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Nice case but worried about corrosion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default Nice case but worried about corrosion

Hello friends,
Being in love with my new 1911 I didn't think the original Colt box did it justice and it was not rugged enough in my opinion. Anyway I bought a Pelican 1450 with the standard Pick and Pluck foam which was a fun process. I'm only worried about one thing; I've read that the stock foam would absorb the gun's oil and would also trap moisture leading to corrosion. Right now I'm not worried because the air is extremely dry in my house with the heater on often, but that won't always be the case. Let me know your thoughts and if you think that the simple remedy of putting those little moisture absorption bags would be sufficient.

PS: I did a field strip and all the parts that were accessible were treated 3 times with FrogLube.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentFreedom; 01-24-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #2

Liked 315 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom View Post
Hello friends,
Being in love with my new 1911 I didn't think the original Colt box did it justice and it was not rugged enough in my opinion. Anyway I bought a Pelican 1450 with the standard Pick and Pluck foam which was a fun process. I'm only worried about one thing; I've read that the stock foam would absorb the gun's oil and would also trap moisture leading to corrosion. Right now I'm not worried because the air is extremely dry in my house with the heater on often, but that won't always be the case. Let me know your thoughts and if you think that the simple remedy of putting those little moisture absorption bags would be sufficient.

PS: I did a field strip and all the parts that were accessible were treated 3 times with FrogLube.

Get some small packs of dessicant and put in Pelican case you have with your firearm if your worried about it. The Pelican cases, I believe, are supposed to be air tight.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #3

Yep they're airtight but what matters is the environment you open the case in. It leaves home with dry air, gets opened in an area with some humidity and then some of it gets trapped in the case.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 01-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2988 Times on 1722 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

Here in the state of Flora-bama, the humidity is high at times.

I would not store any firearm in any foam.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #5

If the case is left open and the gun remains in the case, will it be more prone to corroding than if I left it on my desk in the same room?

Old 01-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2988 Times on 1722 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom View Post
If the case is left open and the gun remains in the case, will it be more prone to corroding than if I left it on my desk in the same room?
Would you lay the firearm on a wet wash cloth? Same principle.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-03-2012, 01:29 AM   #7

Liked 1422 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Foam is NOT intended for long term storage.

Get you a 1911 BoreStore;

Bore-Stores Handgun Case, breathable fabric, silicone impregenated, with thick pile interior. Whisks away moisture, inhibits rust, protects against dings and scratches.

Large Frame Auto P-3

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello