Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > New Springfield 1911A1 "Range Officer"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New Springfield 1911A1 "Range Officer"

Been thinking about my next purchase. I am interested in military weapons, seems I enjoy shooting them more than I enjoy my hunting rifles. Anyways,I have a Beretta M9, great purchase, I've shot thousands of rounds without any malfunctions or problems. An M1Garand, again one of the sweetest rifles that I have shot. And now looking for a 1911. At the gun shop I came across a Springfield "Range Officer", liked it alot but cant make up my mind about that model or the G.I. model. I think my problem in making this decision is the sights, the R.O. are adjustable and the G.I. are fixed. I am looking for input to help make my decision and any other comparisons would be greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-07-2011, 09:18 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

First off welcome to the forum. If you could please go to the intro thread and tell us a bit about yourself.

I myself would go with the Range officer. the adjustable sights are a huge bonus. However the 1911 is a great gun no matter which way you go.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1182

Welcome to the FTF.
My experience with the 1911 is that I normally use one load of a specific weight. My point of aim is always the same, the bullet hits the paper the same, and I never seem to adjust the adjustable sights once set (unless I knock them out by hitting something with them.)

My other pistols see different weights and speeds of bullets and the adjustable sights are changed accordingly.

Some things offered on 1911's are nice to have, other things are need to have, and other things are for personalizing.

I have an old Springer I set up years ago. The setup of the RO is very close (except I have fixed sights). Mine has over 16,000 rounds through it and is my "goto" firearm.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #4

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

There's supposed to be more of a difference between the two than just the sites. Springfield says that the Range Officer is made to tighter specs and higher tolerances like their two top end models, the TRP and Trophy Match, without having some of the smaller details like checkering, etc. The RA should have a much tighter fit than the GI. At least that's what Springfield claims. I'll admit that I've been intrigued by the RO.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I had a G.I. I had problems. Springfield customer service was great, and when I sent it back to them, they made it better. But it still had problems, so I traded it.

Olympus is right. The G.I. models aren't built as well. I wouldn't steer you away from Springfield, but I would steer you away from the G.I.

Have you looked at the Remington?

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 07-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #6

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshound View Post
Been thinking about my next purchase. I am interested in military weapons...
Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
Have you looked at the Remington?
Great gun at a good price. It has the "old school" looks with just the right amount of needed updates.

Do yourself a favor and take a close look at the R1.

You may like it.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Everything I've seen regarding the Range Officer suggests it's built more as a competition gun than a defense piece, though what the difference is seems to be glossed over.

Can somebody tell me why this is viewed more as a target pistol?

Old 07-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Everything I've seen regarding the Range Officer suggests it's built more as a competition gun than a defense piece, though what the difference is seems to be glossed over.

Can somebody tell me why this is viewed more as a target pistol?
Cuz they didn't call it the "Dark Alley Officer"?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Cuz they didn't call it the "Dark Alley Officer"?
You just started a thread.....

Old 07-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #10

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Because it's supposed to be made to higher tolerances and accurized for out of the box competition. It's supposed to have the major things necessary for competition while leaving a blank slate for customization. Target sights, tighter overall feel, more consistent barrel lock up, etc makes it supposedly better for competition than a GI model.