Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   New Springfield 1911A1 "Range Officer" (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/new-springfield-1911a1-range-officer-44870/)

basshound 07-07-2011 10:13 PM

New Springfield 1911A1 "Range Officer"

Been thinking about my next purchase. I am interested in military weapons, seems I enjoy shooting them more than I enjoy my hunting rifles. Anyways,I have a Beretta M9, great purchase, I've shot thousands of rounds without any malfunctions or problems. An M1Garand, again one of the sweetest rifles that I have shot. And now looking for a 1911. At the gun shop I came across a Springfield "Range Officer", liked it alot but cant make up my mind about that model or the G.I. model. I think my problem in making this decision is the sights, the R.O. are adjustable and the G.I. are fixed. I am looking for input to help make my decision and any other comparisons would be greatly appreciated.

doctherock 07-07-2011 10:18 PM

First off welcome to the forum. If you could please go to the intro thread and tell us a bit about yourself.

I myself would go with the Range officer. the adjustable sights are a huge bonus. However the 1911 is a great gun no matter which way you go.

danf_fl 07-08-2011 09:55 AM

Welcome to the FTF.
My experience with the 1911 is that I normally use one load of a specific weight. My point of aim is always the same, the bullet hits the paper the same, and I never seem to adjust the adjustable sights once set (unless I knock them out by hitting something with them.)

My other pistols see different weights and speeds of bullets and the adjustable sights are changed accordingly.

Some things offered on 1911's are nice to have, other things are need to have, and other things are for personalizing.

I have an old Springer I set up years ago. The setup of the RO is very close (except I have fixed sights). Mine has over 16,000 rounds through it and is my "goto" firearm.

Olympus 07-08-2011 01:31 PM

There's supposed to be more of a difference between the two than just the sites. Springfield says that the Range Officer is made to tighter specs and higher tolerances like their two top end models, the TRP and Trophy Match, without having some of the smaller details like checkering, etc. The RA should have a much tighter fit than the GI. At least that's what Springfield claims. I'll admit that I've been intrigued by the RO.

utf59 07-08-2011 03:16 PM

I had a G.I. I had problems. Springfield customer service was great, and when I sent it back to them, they made it better. But it still had problems, so I traded it.

Olympus is right. The G.I. models aren't built as well. I wouldn't steer you away from Springfield, but I would steer you away from the G.I.

Have you looked at the Remington?

canebrake 07-08-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basshound (Post 536546)
Been thinking about my next purchase. I am interested in military weapons...

Quote:

Originally Posted by utf59 (Post 536986)
Have you looked at the Remington?

Great gun at a good price. It has the "old school" looks with just the right amount of needed updates.

Do yourself a favor and take a close look at the R1.

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...DSCF5454-2.jpg

You may like it.

Benning Boy 07-08-2011 05:35 PM

Everything I've seen regarding the Range Officer suggests it's built more as a competition gun than a defense piece, though what the difference is seems to be glossed over.

Can somebody tell me why this is viewed more as a target pistol?

orangello 07-08-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benning Boy (Post 537052)
Everything I've seen regarding the Range Officer suggests it's built more as a competition gun than a defense piece, though what the difference is seems to be glossed over.

Can somebody tell me why this is viewed more as a target pistol?

Cuz they didn't call it the "Dark Alley Officer"?

Benning Boy 07-08-2011 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 537053)
Cuz they didn't call it the "Dark Alley Officer"?

You just started a thread.....:cool:

Olympus 07-08-2011 07:13 PM

Because it's supposed to be made to higher tolerances and accurized for out of the box competition. It's supposed to have the major things necessary for competition while leaving a blank slate for customization. Target sights, tighter overall feel, more consistent barrel lock up, etc makes it supposedly better for competition than a GI model.