new springfield 1911 loaded, 100 rounds to FTF, why? (and more) - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > new springfield 1911 loaded, 100 rounds to FTF, why? (and more)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

very very nice. thanks CA357

Old 03-04-2011, 12:11 AM   #32

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post

will hi-res pics of my feed ramp help in noticing something funky?

as far as the spring goes, i need to see what the specs say about the Loaded comes with.
It could I guess. You should be able to feel if there's a ridge on the ramp though. I was just thinking if you used a more load friendly round to see if the problem lessened or went away. Not to say S&B ammo is bad. I use a lot of it. But it's FMJ round is a little more round than conical like say..Winchester bulk stuff. Some pistols can be a little tricky when they are new and are still working out some of the rough spots.

As to the spring I think Springers (9mm) come with a 14# spring. But it has been a while since I've seen a new 9mm springer 1911. Mine has some age on it now

Old 03-07-2011, 04:36 AM   #33

update range report.

I got my mags this past week finally from Tripp. Though i think i got a bad spring on one of em? i took one apart to see how they work, and couldn't assemble it together? the black plug wouldn't sit flush agains't. as if the spring doesn't push it all the way. messing with it, it seems that the spring gets stuck in somewhere in the mag so it doesn't spring up all the way.

i thought it was me but i took apart the second magazine. i put it back together with zero problems. i did it 5 times, almost with my eyes closed. still, the first mag will not fully seal. i emailed tripp and they were friendly and replied that they'd check it out when i shipped it. i then sent a pic back to them and i believe an Aaron said he could probably help me over the phone. unfortunately, hours of my job kept me busy but i'll call them tomorrow. (btw at the range, met up with a new friend from another board who is military. he scoped out the mag and he feels that the spring might be a little faulty. he couldn't get it after about 10 minutes messing with it. so i'm hoping it's not a me thing and just a fluke)

so, now the real post. the new update range report.

I shot another 100 rounds into my springer, same ammo as before (all they have in 9mm, S & B) i had only 3 Fail to Fires. I took a look at the primers and my friend did so as well. Looks like the firing pin hits the primer but just barely makes the dent. he thinks the the ammo (115 gr) is the reason. probably due to the red paint on the primers. or just a bad round. after my original 100 rounds, and with the new mag you guys recommended. the gun felt great. a couple of more hundred rounds and i feel this should be broken in.

the magazine was super easy to load. in looks it's light years better than the stock springfield mags. feeds nice and it honestly felt like it loaded the bullets into the chamber like a champ.

went to a local gun show and picked up a couple of hundred rounds in reloaded ammo so i'll see how that turns out.

thanks for the great feedback folks.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:54 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That sounds a whole lot better. Maybe the S&B just has hard primers. I shoot a fair amount of the stuff, but its always shot just fine.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #35

Liked 1437 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
update range report.

I got my mags this past week finally from Tripp. Though i think i got a bad spring on one of em? i took one apart to see how they work, and couldn't assemble it together? the black plug wouldn't sit flush agains't. as if the spring doesn't push it all the way. messing with it, it seems that the spring gets stuck in somewhere in the mag so it doesn't spring up all the way.

i thought it was me but i took apart the second magazine. i put it back together with zero problems. i did it 5 times, almost with my eyes closed. still, the first mag will not fully seal. i emailed tripp and they were friendly and replied that they'd check it out when i shipped it. i then sent a pic back to them and i believe an Aaron said he could probably help me over the phone. unfortunately, hours of my job kept me busy but i'll call them tomorrow. (btw at the range, met up with a new friend from another board who is military. he scoped out the mag and he feels that the spring might be a little faulty. he couldn't get it after about 10 minutes messing with it. so i'm hoping it's not a me thing and just a fluke)
Be sure to call Aaron at (877)837-9445. Tell him canebrake from the FireArmsTalk.com forum convinced you to buy the Cobra Mags and now he wants you (Aaron) to help with this re-assembly issue. He will make this right; Aaron is one of the best customer service guys out there and knows his 1911's! Oh yea, Tripp mags too.

Quote:
so, now the real post. the new update range report.

I shot another 100 rounds into my springer, same ammo as before (all they have in 9mm, S & B) i had only 3 Fail to Fires. I took a look at the primers and my friend did so as well. Looks like the firing pin hits the primer but just barely makes the dent. he thinks the the ammo (115 gr) is the reason. probably due to the red paint on the primers. or just a bad round. after my original 100 rounds, and with the new mag you guys recommended. the gun felt great. a couple of more hundred rounds and i feel this should be broken in.

the magazine was super easy to load. in looks it's light years better than the stock springfield mags. feeds nice and it honestly felt like it loaded the bullets into the chamber like a champ.

went to a local gun show and picked up a couple of hundred rounds in reloaded ammo so i'll see how that turns out.

thanks for the great feedback folks.
I have a couple of suggestions;

1. Just for S&G, lock the slide back, locate the breech face and clean it with a (tooth)brush and some solvent. Inspect the breech face for flatness and any witness marks of damage or wear.

Rotate the muzzle up and place a couple of drops of gun oil in the firing pin hole. Rack the slide to battery and dry fire the gun half a dozen times. Check the breech face and wipe down any oil that has migrated out from the firing pin. Inspect it for color and for any foreign (gritty) particles. If found, you should strip the slide and clean it throughly. If clean, take the ammo suggested below and go shoot the snot out of 'er.

2. Go to Wally World and buy you some "Made-in-Amurka" WWB 115 gr Ball (FMJ) ammo. If they don't have it in the Republk of IL, drive OOS and get some! (Damn kommies) 300 rounds should complete your new gun assessment.

3. Don't 'eff with the feed ramp!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello