new springfield 1911 loaded, 100 rounds to FTF, why? (and more) - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > new springfield 1911 loaded, 100 rounds to FTF, why? (and more)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jesse17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,471
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Never touched a 1911 myself, but I know my Ruger MK II took 500-1000 rds to "wear it in". Had lots of problems until then with it catching the spent casing in between the action and the barrel, or only denting the unfired cartrage but not firing it.

After breaking the gun in, it's reliable as all get out.

Just my $0.02 worth.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmszbi View Post
"Be polite to everyone you meet but have a plan to kill them".
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000
Jesse17 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
General_lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lumpkin,Georgia
Posts: 1,268
Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Quote:
if it looks like it did hit it, what would it mean? if it doesn't hit the primer, does that mean it's a bad firing pin?
If it looks like it hit the primer, but didn't fire the round, it could be bad ammo. If it's a very faint and shallow dent, or no dent at all the problem is probably the firing pin.
__________________
General_lee is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
Never touched a 1911 myself, but I know my Ruger MK II took 500-1000 rds to "wear it in". Had lots of problems until then with it catching the spent casing in between the action and the barrel, or only denting the unfired cartrage but not firing it.

After breaking the gun in, it's reliable as all get out.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post
If it looks like it hit the primer, but didn't fire the round, it could be bad ammo. If it's a very faint and shallow dent, or no dent at all the problem is probably the firing pin.
great information everyone. MUCH appreciated.


i'm hoping bad mag (stock) and ammo.
__________________
marshall is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:46 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CHLChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Portland,Oregon
Posts: 2,523
Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default

The problem with this ONLY being about ammo is the fact that the slide did not open easily after these firing problems, right? If this was just an ammo problem, then the slide would have been able to function more normally throughout the session.

You still haven't answered the BIG QUESTION. Did you take apart the gun, or just field strip it? Did you have just a few parts or did you have 30 parts on the table? Did you mess around with the slide at all? Did you mess with the firing pin/spring assembly? Did you mess with the extractor? A field strip only has these parts on the table:

-slide
-frame (maybe 2 grips removed with 4 screws)
-guide rod (2 parts on your 9mm model?)
-barrel bushing
-barrel
-recoil spring
-slide stop

Tripp mags are great! But this does NOT sound like a mag issue.

__________________
.45acp, .40 S&W, 9mm, .38 Spl, .380 acp, 22lr
12 gauge, .223/5.56x45mm, 30-30 Winchester


2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face
CHLChris is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:54 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lima,Ohio
Posts: 3,087
Liked 2756 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 2653

Default

If I bought a brand new gun and it didn't work right out of the box with nothing more than a clean and lube it would go back to the manufacturer. That's not acceptable. Can you imagine buying a new TV and having to turn it on and off 500 times before it works properly. Or buying a new car that only runs for 10 miles and quits for 3 hours. If you took that car to the dealer and they told you that you have to do that for the first 500 miles, you wouldn't put up with that. If it's the mags fault WTF? You mean springfield can't even ship two good mags with one of their guns? I'll bet if this guy's gun was a taurus you guy's wouldn't be making excuses for it. You'd be telling him he bought a POS. What's the difference taurus, springfield, kimber or colt it ought to work right from the start.

__________________
rjd3282 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CHLChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Portland,Oregon
Posts: 2,523
Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default

rjd:

I bet that many of us have a feeling that this is user error that started at the same time he spent 4 HOURS cleaning it. We're just asking questions to troubleshoot this, not blame the gun.

__________________
.45acp, .40 S&W, 9mm, .38 Spl, .380 acp, 22lr
12 gauge, .223/5.56x45mm, 30-30 Winchester


2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face
CHLChris is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:26 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lima,Ohio
Posts: 3,087
Liked 2756 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 2653

Default

I'm sure that has more to do with than anything chris. I can't imagine a half days work disassembling a 1911 and putting it back together. I just think it's funny when it's one of the "loved brands" everybody wants to blame everything but the gun. But if it's a brand that isn't quite so popular it has to be the gun.

__________________
rjd3282 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:30 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jesse17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,471
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
I'm sure that has more to do with than anything chris. I can't imagine a half days work disassembling a 1911 and putting it back together. I just think it's funny when it's one of the "loved brands" everybody wants to blame everything but the gun. But if it's a brand that isn't quite so popular it has to be the gun.
I have no loyalty what so ever to Springfield...but it's been said time and time again on here (and I found out with my Ruger) that some handguns need to be broke in.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmszbi View Post
"Be polite to everyone you meet but have a plan to kill them".
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000
Jesse17 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:23 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 9,639
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
If I bought a brand new gun and it didn't work right out of the box with nothing more than a clean and lube it would go back to the manufacturer. That's not acceptable. Can you imagine buying a new TV and having to turn it on and off 500 times before it works properly. Or buying a new car that only runs for 10 miles and quits for 3 hours. If you took that car to the dealer and they told you that you have to do that for the first 500 miles, you wouldn't put up with that. If it's the mags fault WTF? You mean springfield can't even ship two good mags with one of their guns? I'll bet if this guy's gun was a taurus you guy's wouldn't be making excuses for it. You'd be telling him he bought a POS. What's the difference taurus, springfield, kimber or colt it ought to work right from the start.
I've purchased more than one new car where the dealer advised getting it out on a toll road and putting it through some paces to break it in.

Many new guns will require you to run some ammo through to move some springs and loosen them up.

When I got my XD, the magazines were beasts to load, but after the third or fourth cycle, butter smooth.
__________________
Benning Boy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:59 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
The rounds that chambered but did not fire; did they show a firing pin strike on the primer?

Also, how far did you strip the pistol for the first time? Did you just remove the slide and barrel or did you detail strip the slide and frame.
i completely forgot to answer that, i'll answer it below.

i didn't check the strike on the primer. i didn't think of it then and probably wouldn't have thought to check if it wasn't for these forums. which is why im here to learn. totally making mental notes on all of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
The problem with this ONLY being about ammo is the fact that the slide did not open easily after these firing problems, right? If this was just an ammo problem, then the slide would have been able to function more normally throughout the session.

You still haven't answered the BIG QUESTION. Did you take apart the gun, or just field strip it? Did you have just a few parts or did you have 30 parts on the table? Did you mess around with the slide at all? Did you mess with the firing pin/spring assembly? Did you mess with the extractor? A field strip only has these parts on the table:

-slide
-frame (maybe 2 grips removed with 4 screws)
-guide rod (2 parts on your 9mm model?)
-barrel bushing
-barrel
-recoil spring
-slide stop

Tripp mags are great! But this does NOT sound like a mag issue.
Chris,

Yeah, the parts you described is exactly what i did. (removing the grips a good idea, yikes didn't think of that one. i'll do that next time) guide rod was just one part. the recoil spring was 2 parts per se, the spring was attached to the spring guide. the only other confusing part for me was the barrel link forward. but then i saw the manual a second time.


the slide didn't want to open on one occasion. but yeah it was about 3 or 4 times after the failure to fires.

i didn't mess with the firing pin


Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
If I bought a brand new gun and it didn't work right out of the box with nothing more than a clean and lube it would go back to the manufacturer. That's not acceptable. Can you imagine buying a new TV and having to turn it on and off 500 times before it works properly. Or buying a new car that only runs for 10 miles and quits for 3 hours. If you took that car to the dealer and they told you that you have to do that for the first 500 miles, you wouldn't put up with that. If it's the mags fault WTF? You mean springfield can't even ship two good mags with one of their guns? I'll bet if this guy's gun was a taurus you guy's wouldn't be making excuses for it. You'd be telling him he bought a POS. What's the difference taurus, springfield, kimber or colt it ought to work right from the start.
right, even with the best of brands, there's bound to be a bad one of the tens of thousands made.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
I'm sure that has more to do with than anything chris. I can't imagine a half days work disassembling a 1911 and putting it back together. I just think it's funny when it's one of the "loved brands" everybody wants to blame everything but the gun. But if it's a brand that isn't quite so popular it has to be the gun.
i totally understand what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
I have no loyalty what so ever to Springfield...but it's been said time and time again on here (and I found out with my Ruger) that some handguns need to be broke in.
i hope this is the case. needs to be broken in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
I've purchased more than one new car where the dealer advised getting it out on a toll road and putting it through some paces to break it in.

Many new guns will require you to run some ammo through to move some springs and loosen them up.

When I got my XD, the magazines were beasts to load, but after the third or fourth cycle, butter smooth.
the mags were DEFINITELY a beast to load.
__________________
marshall is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Springfield Loaded 1911-A1 FCross7 Range Report 29 03-16-2011 04:19 AM
Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded junho806 Range Report 12 10-04-2010 09:09 PM
Anythoughts on a Springfield Armory Loaded 1911? Terrax 1911 Forum 21 01-23-2010 03:15 PM
Springfield 'loaded coupon' Megaton 1911 Forum 3 07-28-2009 02:44 AM