New series 70 Colt
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > New series 70 Colt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 06:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New series 70 Colt

So I picked up this very nice Colt Series 70 the other day at my local shop for $600 and I'm very excited to own this gun.

I didn't know much about this gun when I bought it but it seemed like a good deal and I couldn't pass it up.

To be honest I don't know much about this gun but I've been doing some research online and I'm pretty sure this gun was designed to fire wadcutter/semi-wadcutter ammo and that shooting ball ammo can cause damage, is there truth to this? I can't find an markings on it to determine who did the custom work on it either.

The person who owned this gun before me is an employee of the gun shop where I bought. He put this gun on consignment with the shop and he doesn't know that I bought it yet. He's been on vacation for a week and will back at the gun shop tomorrow so I plan to go in and see what he can tell me about this gun, in particular what has been done to it and who did the work.

Here's a few pics....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

not true they were designed to fire 230grn FMJ.

i see you have a buffer recoil pad on your guide rod. those things can cause feed issues by not allowing the full operation of the slide.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The BoMar rib is an add on. As stated, you have a standard Gov't model modified for the rib addition. From a value standpoint, the slide modification takes away the "original Colt" price point and diminishes the value. This means that it's worth what someone will pay for it. To a Colt collector, this gun is of little interest, unless a S70 original slide is fitted.

The pistol may have been intended to shoot wadcutter low velocity target style matches.The target rib was pioneered by Jim Clark over 40 years ago. It is a quick and dirty way to get a flat top slide, with the rear sight overhang to extend the sight radius
for target work.

Make sure you check what recoil spring is in the gun before cutting loose with major power loads.

Like the previous poster states, I would loose the shok-buff as well. When they fail, your pistol will lock up, you can't tell when it's coming.

I'm sure you are happy with your purchase, not trying to flame here. Looking at your pics, this pistol has been used pretty hard, especially with what I can see on the internals. Not to say that is a bad thing.

I personally would have put that $600 towards an unmodified S70, which, depending on condition, can be found readily on Gunbroker for just a few more bucks. But, I'm not you, so if you're happy good luck and happy shooting.

Last edited by crockett007; 01-10-2011 at 07:39 PM.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 468 Times on 257 Posts

I thought there was some new type of Colt rifle.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2969 Times on 1712 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

That looks like a Clark Custom setup for wad cutter in old Bulls-eye matches.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-11-2011, 04:25 AM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
That looks like a Clark Custom setup for wad cutter in old Bulls-eye matches.
I'm not so sure, Dan. My 70 Series Clark Longslide had a full BoMar rib and there were no screw holes through to the inside. Clark also marked the guns they turned out with their name. I'm thinking this one was done by someone else.

This gun has seen a bunch of use and looks great. That rib adds weight and will slow down slide velocity. Who's barrel is in it? I can't make it out. Nice Kart NM bushing, if it was installed right. Does it need a bushing wrench to remove?

From what I can see, I'd pay $600 for that gun all day long (but I'm a sucker for old Colts). Can I have it?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 01-11-2011, 05:39 AM   #7

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Great pictures. I would love to have a pice like that.

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Old 01-11-2011, 06:47 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2969 Times on 1712 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

M14, that is why I added the word "like". I think that the AMU also did some of those, also.

Still, it is a good looking handgun.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #9

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
M14, that is why I added the word "like". I think that the AMU also did some of those, also.

Still, it is a good looking handgun.
My Clark longslide was one of the 100 made for the AMU with the 6" S&W barrels. Did AMU make some as well?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 01-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #10

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I built quite a few similar to yours back in the 70s for bullseye competition. I used the same rib, but all of mine had a lowered and flaired ejection port, skeletonized trigger, extended slide release and safety. If you decide to use 230gr ball, be sure to install the appropriate recoil spring.

Jim...............