New Ruger SR1911 range report
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > New Ruger SR1911 range report

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New Ruger SR1911 range report

Been away for awhile but am back into 1911's.
After a year long wait I finally got an SR1911.
Got to the range and am very pleased with the results. I shot it alongside my Colt XSE and got better groups with it even though it has a slightly heavier trigger than the Colt (Ruger-4lbs 10oz, Colt 4lbs 6oz.).

The recoil spring in the Ruger is noticably heavier than the 16lb Wolf spring in the Colt and helped controllability on follow up shots. I put 300 rounds through it and had only one minor issue. On the first mag change the mag release stuck in the depressed position. I put a drop of oil on it and I never had another issue with it.

I shot Hornady TAP HP's, Federal Hydra-Shok, Remington jacketed HP's and Winchester FMJ (all 230 gr.) I used the Ruger factory, Wilson, Chip McCormick, ACT and Colt mags. Never had a failure to feed, fire or eject. Fired cases landed at about five o'clock and 10 feet from the gun.

At seven yards offhand I put 19 rounds into one ragged hole and from a bench at 25 yards I got several 3" groups. At 50 yards from the bench I was routinely hitting clay birds. I'm very happly with this Ruger.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-16-2012, 07:07 AM   #2

Liked 284 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You make me mad. Ive been looking for one of those for about three months. Ive never even seen one yet, no one around me keeps it in stock. Or if they do get them in they only get a couple and they are gone in a few hours. If you like i will come to your house and take it off your hands. I know you really dont like it that much.....

Old 06-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #3

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk View Post
You make me mad. Ive been looking for one of those for about three months. Ive never even seen one yet, no one around me keeps it in stock. Or if they do get them in they only get a couple and they are gone in a few hours. If you like i will come to your house and take it off your hands. I know you really dont like it that much.....
Buds has one up for bids right now...appears to be the exact model the OP posted...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Good review. Congrats on your new sr1911!

Old 06-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk View Post
Sorry I angered you (not really) As I stated in my OP I looked for one for over a year before I got this one. Ruger has, purportedly, doubled production recently. If so, they should become more readily available. The more I shoot this thing the more I like it and now prefer it over my Colt XSE. The only 1911 I've had that I prefer over it would be my Les Baer but only slightly. The Les Baer is, no doubt, more accurate but I can't tell the difference and it was 3 times the price. Hope you find one soon.

Thanks Nickle1911

Last edited by Richard K; 06-16-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i get the same story at my LGS about them. he has only gotten three in his shop to date and none of them lasted very long on the shelf. he told me a couple of weeks ago, that Ruger is not taking any new orders at this time to help pick up production. he also said he expects in either August or September that orders will be starting to be sent out. the SR1911 is definately one i am interested in getting. i am glad to hear a review about them and hearing this one, makes me want one even more now.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2741 Times on 1332 Posts
Likes Given: 1392

Rich,

Nice 1911 looks great and obviously it shoots well also. I have not had the chance to see or handle one at the present but would like to look at one close!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 06-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #8

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

You will really enjoy your SR1911. Mine has been a lot of fun !

image-2474997766.jpg  

Old 06-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #9
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2024 Times on 1183 Posts
Likes Given: 4309

Local store is getting some 20 to 30 Ruger SR1911 in Friday. Last time they got 40 of them in, they were sold within 48 hours after word hits the street.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #10

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

I have one on layaway. The cheapest i could find was $729