Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > New RIA for me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 04:07 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congratulations Books.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-29-2011, 08:06 AM   #22
hmh

Liked 128 Times on 88 Posts

Have several friends with ria 1911 and the only problem is with the beaver tail binding. It seems like the pin holes are not straight across. If I buy another 1911 ria is at the top of my list. As for grips when it comes to function and comfort I like the houge rap around. I shoot more accurate with them. Nine times out if ten I will go with function over looks.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 251 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Mine LOVES the wilson Elite Tactical Mags, are you gonna be looking for traditional wood grips or synthetic?
Leaning towards a nice set of wood grips. The Hogue wrap-arounds might be an option. They look like they have a nice grip to them.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #24

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I was thinking about getting one and now after reading this post I will probably get myself one for Christmas!

I love the stand - - - what would you charge for about 5 of them?

Old 11-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #25
hmh

Liked 128 Times on 88 Posts

My kimber came with the rosewood panels and 30 lpi checkering on the front strap. Replaced / covered by houge.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:04 PM   #26

I have an RIA GI and it is a very nice weapon. I put a set of VZ Aliens in black G10 on it. I am also considering doing Cerakote or Wilson Tuff Armor refinish and adding some better sights.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #27

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks

Leaning towards a nice set of wood grips. The Hogue wrap-arounds might be an option. They look like they have a nice grip to them.
You might check out VZ grips, they have alot of different cool styles

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 11-30-2011, 04:14 AM   #28

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
I've read that the mags that came with it might not be the best. What brand should I be looking for? This gun might just push me into finally getting a reloading setup going.

The wood on the grips is nice but I am thinking that I might replace them with a set of checkered grips. The stock ones are real slick.
To be honest I thought I had made a mistake when I impulse bought the same RIA (price was too good to pass up). I had nothing but feed problems and stovepipes at first. After about 2-300 everything is working flawlessly. I have about 3k rounds down the pipe since the initial breakin without a single chamber issue or FTF. Any misgivings I had about the purchase are way in the past. This is now my favorite gun I own. I will say RIA's do seem to be hit or miss depending on who you talk to. I was fortunate enough to get a good one as were others on this forum, and I know of a few that ended up with bad ones. Put a couple hundred rounds through it and let us know how she does.

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 12-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #29

Best gun I bought! RIA 1911 nickel plated 2008 model....shoots everything! Had a Kimber and all it did was jam; TOO tight!

Also have a Arcus dac98 9mm which gave me fits with FTE issues but I sent her in and Century Arms fixed it in 3 weeks { under warrenty} ; fired her today and she is smooth as silk, a great piece. $321 from bud's guns. Happy as a clam and I know you will be too with the 1911!

Old 12-07-2011, 05:38 AM   #30
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16916 Times on 9804 Posts
Likes Given: 44108

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
books, check out the pachmyer grips for the 1911, they have some that are a combnation of rubber wrap around and wood. would be the best of both types of grips, better grip, and some wood for looks.