New RIA Compact
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > New RIA Compact

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 07:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Default New RIA Compact

Just got a chance to test fire my "new" (to me) RIA Compact! Ate everything I gave it except through the ACT mag that came with it and had one fail to feed from that. Cycled flawlessly with the Chip McCormick match grade mags. Now to replace grips and mainspring housing! Anyone here tried Hogue's G10 piranha grips?

Sent from my iPod touch using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParhfinderAFW View Post
Just got a chance to test fire my "new" (to me) RIA Compact! Ate everything I gave it except through the ACT mag that came with it and had one fail to feed from that. Cycled flawlessly with the Chip McCormick match grade mags. Now to replace grips and mainspring housing! Anyone here tried Hogue's G10 piranha grips?

buy some qaulity mags to replace the crappy OEM mags that came with the pistol. this is the only place where some of the lesser expensive 1911's cheap out at, the mags. but it's a simple fix, and most of us buy more mags anyways. i like the Chip McCormack mags and the Wilson Combat mags and use both as my go to mags for a 1911. have yet to have a problem with either brand. another brnd that gets high marks from those who use them are the Tripp Research mags. one day i hope to try them out as well. Tripp Research mags are made by the gentleman who originally founded STI who makes really nice 1911's. he should know a few things about 1911's!

just curious as to why you want to change out the MSH. any particular reason?

personally i have never used Hogue grips on any 1911, but have used them for years on other pistols and revolvers. i give them high marks as well for being a quality product.

also Google "custom 1911 grips" and you will get a few thousand hits to digest through. check out Brown's Custom Grips. he is a member here on the forum under the username Olympus and he shows off some of his custom grips on thread about 1911 grips. his work is amazing with making some really beautiful grips.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:46 PM   #3

I'm specifically looking at the G10 grips from hogue because I like the material. I've used other Hogue's in the past but I've never tried their g10s. I've already got two Chip McCormick mags and they cycle fine. I want to change the MSH because I prefer the arched versions over the flat.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:47 PM   #4

Now I just need to get more mags!!!

Old 04-12-2014, 01:59 PM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 8

My Sig 938 came with the G10 grips and makes such a small 9 mm a dream to shoot, i would highly recommend them for your 1911.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3099 Times on 1553 Posts
Likes Given: 383

I have no experience with the Hogue G10 grips. I have used their rubber grip panels and they work great.
I have a set of G10 grips from these guys:

https://vzgrips.com/

Huge selection, really well done products. I'd be shocked if you didn't like them. They build each set to order, so you have a lot of choices w/ all the possible options.

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Last edited by Overkill0084; 04-12-2014 at 03:09 PM.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:29 PM   #7

Thanks I'll check em out

Old 04-18-2014, 05:22 AM   #8

Liked 62 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I've had my Rock Compact-Tactical .45 for over a year now and it's my primary CCW. The standard ACT-Mags are NOT cheap and crappy magazines as some would have you believe! They are one of Europe's largest magazine makers and supply companies like Beretta, SIG and Walther. While magazine problems are the commonest source of trouble people have with any 1911, but one FTF is hardly a reasonable gripe with a new pistol! Rocks require 200-500 rounds and running wet to break-in properly and then the CS-Tac will eat almost any factory ammo you can name (with the possible exception of wad-cutters and SWC due to the angle of feed). Do know that the factory recoil spring is pretty short-lived and that while Wolff 22-lb units will work fine, their 24-lb springs will go into coil-bind; so if you wish to go to a stronger than standard spring, order them from Armscor. They will be Wolff springs, but won't cause problems for you. These things eat recoil springs far faster than larger 1911's so be prepared to change them every thousand rounds or so.
While new grips are a must (I went with Harrison Design Carry-Groove G-10's), I wonder about why you would switch out the MSH. Unlike the units in their other guns, Armscor uses steel MSH's in their compact guns and while the arguments over polymer vs. steel are mostly matters of taste (I've seen a MSH made of ironwood that worked just fine), I have to surmise it's more a matter of wanting a more tractive surface than the vertical grooves in the stocker. I have yet to hear of a replacement that is a true drop-in so be prepared to do some metal work. The CS-Tac is a sweet shooting, reliable pistol that I have no trouble trusting with my life. I think you will be very happy with it.

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan

People Like This 
Old 04-18-2014, 01:47 PM   #9

Thank you for the advice. The reason I am changing MSH is that I am used to Glocks and S&W revolvers so most handguns with 1911 grip angle (sig etc) hold low for me. So I'm switching it out to a arched MSH versus the stock flat one

Old 04-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wrong topic

Last edited by southernborn; 04-21-2014 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Posted on wrong topic