Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > New Remington R1 Enhanced!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17038 Times on 9851 Posts
Likes Given: 44273

Default New Remington R1 Enhanced!

well as much as i liked my Springfield Armory XD45, i just traded it and some cash for a new Remington R1 Enhanced. i traded my American Classic II to a longtime close friend last weekend for the XD45, he bought new several months ago and had never even had a chance to shoot. i shot about 30 rounds through it, but i just felt something missing. so earlier this morning i went to my LGS and traded up to an R1. i looked at four different pistols, that were being considered, a stainless steel R1, a black R1, the R1 Enhanced, and a Springfield Armory Range Officer. well feature wise i ended up down to the R1 Enhanced and the Range Officer. it took over an hour to end up making a final decision between the two. as much as i liked the RO, the rear sight was the biggest detractor that ended up swaying the decision to the R1. plus the grips on the R1 are awesome. the prices were $720 for the R1 in black, $760 for the R1 in SS, $870 for the RO and $890 for the Enhanced. th only features that i am not totally excited about on the Enhanced is the front sight and the slide release lever, but those are minor things that can be changed real easy later on. i will in the future end up putting some Trijicon night sights and an extended slide release on it. if everything goes according to plan, i will get some ammo loaded up and try it out. my gun dealer even threw in 150 once fired 45 cases to sweeten the deal. heres a couple of pictures of the new addition to the family!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2911 Times on 1716 Posts

That is a nice looking piece man. Congrats

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5702 Times on 3347 Posts
Likes Given: 4866

That is nice! What are the grips?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 05-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 765 Times on 401 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Nice. Congrats. A piece of plastic can never replace a real gun though some of them are real shooters. The remington is a great gun for the money.

USMC 74-78

Old 05-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

That's nice. Had my eye on one of those for a while now.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

thanks guys! well i just got through shooting some ammo i quickly loaded up and it's official, she's a shooter for sure! the first set is with some 230gr cast lead, fair but not great. the second set is some 200gr Hornady XTP's, this load is the one for sure. these were done at 10 yards. here's the results. just for reference, the outer edge of the circle on my homemade targets is 3".

orangello, the grips are some sort of laminated and checkered wood. very nice feeling and grippy. they look better in person. black with some very dark brown and a little grey.

Last edited by Axxe55; 05-04-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2911 Times on 1716 Posts

Nice shooting.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:13 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Congrats on the R1 Enhanced, I am very happy with mine, but I really like the HiVis site of course my old eyes don't fix on site as well as they use to so the HiVis works real good for me, looks like you got her sited in pretty well nice shooting.

“Life’s tough … it’s even tougher if you’re stupid.”
John Wayne

Old 05-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #9

Liked 1406 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Nice looking R1 and it I think it likes the XTP's!

I hope Remington has improved the quality of their mags. Mine won't even fit into my Uplula.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgnwdc View Post
Congrats on the R1 Enhanced, I am very happy with mine, but I really like the HiVis site of course my old eyes don't fix on site as well as they use to so the HiVis works real good for me, looks like you got her sited in pretty well nice shooting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Nice looking R1 and it I think it likes the XTP's!

I hope Remington has improved the quality of their mags. Mine won't even fit into my Uplula.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Nice shooting.
rj, so far i am very pleased with it, but the front sight will probably changed in the future, possibly even the rear sight. it seems to group well though.

Cane, the mags seem to work fine so far, but when i buy a pistol, the quality of the mags are of little concern as i usually buy extra mags anyways and use the factory ones for practice shooting. yes it does seem to like the 200 gr XTP's! this load i started using in a couple of months ago in all my 1911's. i am a big fan of Hornady's pistol bullets and also use their factory ammo in the XTP line for my SD loads and wanted to use their bullets for practice and checking for penetration testing. i also use the XTP's in my 44 Mag. a hot loaded 44 Mag load with the 240 gr XTP will fully penetrate a 4" pine tree at 20 feet. with massive damage.

MM13, thanks, but more credit to the pistol than me! i field stripped it, cleaned and oiled it prior to shooting it and the tolerances and fit are excellent. the only issue so far is the trigger overtravel needs to be adjusted, which once i find the correct allen wrench that will be fixed.