New to parkerized need help

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > New to parkerized need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 01:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default New to parkerized need help

Can anyone help me out here im new to 1911s and parkerized pistols and ive had my SA loaded for a week now and well im a very paranoid person and i think i see the early signs of rust is that possible?When i got it it was well lubed took it to the range then after cleaned it but during the week i couldnt keep my hands off it since it was virtually my new toy and i want to get the feel and it seems the color seemed different than the pics ive seen on this forum and everywhere should i treat it with some remoil ive heard that helps keep it looking tip top so any help will be greatly appreciated. I origianlly posted this as a reply but im hoping for this to be seen more.

dsc03533.jpg   dsc03532.jpg   dsc03530.jpg   dsc03524.jpg   dsc03520.jpg  

Last edited by SnakeDoctor; 03-16-2011 at 02:07 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-16-2011, 01:26 AM   #2

Default Strange color

I have a 1 week old springfield 1911 loaded and there seems to be a difference in color between the frame and slide and by the thumb safety one the right side there seems to be a orange-y color could that be rust or what this is my first 1911 and parkerized pistol and i like to keep my guns looking new for as long as possible until time catches up so if anyones got some pointers on how to care for it that would be nice im in the process of curing it with remoil i just apply some when its dry i repeat so any help will be appreciated.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:36 AM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

It definitely wouldn't hurt to wipe a light coat of oil on it.
Please post pics of it if you can.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:44 AM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I replied to your question in the General Handgun section as well.

Please post pics of the affected areas so we can see.

I usually wipe the metal parts of my guns with a light coat of Outers or Gunslick gun oil about once a month, or as needed.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:00 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5741 Times on 3000 Posts
Likes Given: 380

rem oil is basically sewing machine oil its a very light machine oil and nearly useless for firearms.

fluid film is what ya need.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f100/rust-protection-fluid-film-vs-xf7-vs-wd-40-a-38007/

parkerizing is a coating that holds oil very well. you need to repeat coats daily for a week or so to build up the oil in the finish. its a military coating that holds oil in order to offset moisture.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-16-2011, 02:09 AM   #6

edited with photos but theres still more here: the dark spot under the thumb safety is what troubles me its orange-y in color and i dont want to do the wrong thing with such an awesome gun

dsc03517.jpg  

Old 03-16-2011, 02:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post
I replied to your question in the General Handgun section as well.

Please post pics of the affected areas so we can see.

I usually wipe the metal parts of my guns with a light coat of Outers or Gunslick gun oil about once a month, or as needed.
i posted the pics in the other section

Old 03-16-2011, 02:21 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I have a definite problem with the orange color. That's not right. Parkerizing holds oil and that prevents rust. It looks to me like you may have rust already formed somehow under the Park'd finish.

If it was my pistol, I would send it right back to Springfield and have them check it out. Call their customer service and see if they'll send you a shipping ticket so you don't have to pay for shipping it.

If those photos are accurate, I think they need to refinish it.

Good parkerizing eventually turns a nice gray/green and looks really great. So, you'll do fine with a Parkerized finish, just keep it clean and lubed.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-16-2011, 02:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I have a definite problem with the orange color. That's not right. Parkerizing holds oil and that prevents rust. It looks to me like you may have rust already formed somehow under the Park'd finish.

If it was my pistol, I would send it right back to Springfield and have them check it out. Call their customer service and see if they'll send you a shipping ticket so you don't have to pay for shipping it.

If those photos are accurate, I think they need to refinish it.

Good parkerizing eventually turns a nice gray/green and looks really great. So, you'll do fine with a Parkerized finish, just keep it clean and lubed.
ok ive sent in my xd 9 before and they gave me the call tag and i had it back in like 10 days but i know theres a lifetime warranty but is it like a one time deal so if it happened again in the future could i send it back again do you know?

Old 03-16-2011, 02:34 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5741 Times on 3000 Posts
Likes Given: 380

yup thats rust. it needs to be refinished i agree with CA

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...