Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   New Kimber Pro TLE II (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/new-kimber-pro-tle-ii-37943/)

CHLChris 02-04-2011 11:12 PM

New Kimber Pro TLE II

Two weeks ago I finally put the money together to buy my brand new Kimber Pro TLE II. The Pro means 4" bull barrel, the TLE means Meprolight night sights, and the II means a firing pin block safety feature (series 80).

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/a...p/P1290001.jpg

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/a...p/P1290004.jpg

I never fell in love with my Springfield Loaded 5". Too often the next round would get caught on the ramp. Perform ALL the time or I get rid of you.

I went to Johnson Creek Gun Club in Portland, OR as a friend's guest. And that is where I fell in love. Before the first trip I gave it a thorough field strip and cleaning. The lock-up on this one is really tight. The take down requires an odd paper-clip thingy, though. It is a little odd, but straightforward. The bull barrel is clearly hand fitted to the slide by looking at the machining marks.

The grips, which are currently rubber, are quite thick and will probably call for a replacement to slim-lines, but then I have smaller hands. The single-side safety wasn't convenient for my southpaw friend, but it worked perfectly for me. The sights are so much easier to acquire than my SA's sights because the tritium inserts have a white circle around them. The 1" shorter radius than my government model did not seem to affect the accuracy, but the decreased weight (from 40 oz. to 35 oz.) made a HUGE difference in one-handed firing.

The manual describes the break-in period as 1) clean it, 2) fire 200-250 rounds, 3) clean it, 4) fire 200-250 more rounds. I just returned from step 2 to give my thoughts.

The indoor range required targets to be at the full length so the targets were 50 feet away. Not my favorite for a break-in period, but oh well. I'll be shooting with Tackleberry at his range for the second round so I'll probably be able to keep it a little closer. I fired with Winchester white box 230 grain FMJ for the first 100 rounds. 50 rounds in the left target and 50 in the right.

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/a...p/P2030001.jpg

I was pretty pleased at 17 yards to keep such tight groups without a bench rest. My brass ejected somewhat forward into the galley instead of laterally or somewhat backward as I'm used to with other guns. The guy next to me was happy about that. After this first 100 rounds I had a couple of loading failures that were cleared by just slamming up on the mag lightly. I fell in love with this gun within the first 100 rounds.

Then I opened a couple boxes of Blazer Brass 230 grain FMJ. I was less than impressed with this ammo. I'm glad I started with the other ammo so I knew that this was crappy ammo and not a crappy gun.

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/a...p/P2030002.jpg

I believe I had 1 more failure during the 2nd set of 100 rounds, same type of loading failure. The slide always locked open, even on the MIM slide stop. That is the first part that will be replaced. Any other suggestions for known Kimber MIM parts that should be replaced, please let me know.

All in all, I am very pleased by this new gun. The all-black finish means it is not flashy, which is great. I had one guy ask, "Is that a .45?" But nobody seemed to be fawning over my flashy gun. It was just one more black gun. It was probably the best black gun in the range, though.

Squirrel_Slayer 02-04-2011 11:19 PM

Nice pistol. My Kimber has never malfunctioned once, break in or other wise. It has shown an affinity for nothing but 230 grain ball ammo though. Groups get way bigger when I try to feed it any light weight ammo. Great acquisition. I am gonna go poke some paper with mine this weekend so I'll take somee pics and give ya'll a range report Monday morning.

CHLChris 02-04-2011 11:26 PM

When I was in line at a NW chain called Bi-Mart where I bought the Blazer Brass ammo, I put the 4 boxes on the counter. The woman in front of me (who was probably thinking I was going to go shoot a crowd of people or something) asked, "What are you hunting?" I just smiled and said, "I'm just shooting for fun. I'll be shooting pieces of paper." Then, when the guy behind me put down another pile of ammo to buy, that lady, visibly uncomfortable, turned and walked out.

Kinda funny.

lonyaeger 02-04-2011 11:27 PM

Nice pistol, Chris, and a very well-done range report.

Squirrel_Slayer 02-04-2011 11:29 PM

Blazer is usually the cheapest and always shot the best out of mine. Now it only sees handloads. Once shot range brass, 6.2 of Herco behind 230 copper jacketed ball ammo, and CCI primers.

TGReaper 02-05-2011 12:02 AM

Nice looking pistol, You make me feel bad, I just bought a 4 in. 1911 and I can't get to do much but handle it and daydream. Our range is under 6 ft of snow.Thanks for the report
Dan

CA357 02-05-2011 01:12 AM

Congratulations. Enjoy that new pistola. :cool:

mjkeat 02-10-2011 02:18 AM

Good looking firearm. Nice choice.

Dillinger 02-10-2011 03:09 AM

I see a lot of Kimber hate on line. I will agree that they have had some highs and lows to quality, but I believe that if you pay for one of their higher end models, you are getting a quality product for the money.

In this case, you have had added a hell of a nice weapon to the collection.

Congrats on an excellent purchase. Now get back to the range and tighten up those groups. ;)

JD

CHLChris 02-10-2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 441610)
I see a lot of Kimber hate on line. I will agree that they have had some highs and lows to quality, but I believe that if you pay for one of their higher end models, you are getting a quality product for the money.

In this case, you have had added a hell of a nice weapon to the collection.

Congrats on an excellent purchase. Now get back to the range and tighten up those groups. ;)

JD

What? 8" isn't good for 50 rounds at 50 feet just standing? Perhaps not, but not a single round sailed on me. With good ammo I know that this will be a firearm I will be able to trust with my life. Even with bad ammo...I just wouldn't want to be the one standing behind the bad guy. :eek:

It seemed to me that until you get into their custom shop, all of the products are cut from the same cloth, with just different features. Like the features of the awesome-looking Raptor II that you (JD) have suggested in another thread is basically the same pistol as some others less expensive (same MIM parts, that is) with a few cool features that cost some extra money.

Since I have a couple of Kimber owners on this thread, which MIM parts should I start to weed out of this pistol? I will be switching out the slide stop first, but probably a couple thousand rounds from now. Any other ideas? I'm thinking long-term.