Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   New Kimber (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/new-kimber-7777/)

Dustoff 10-17-2008 07:38 PM

New Kimber

1 Attachment(s)
Grettings to all,
I just traded my XD .45 "4 Compact for a Kimber Ultra Crimmson Carry .45. This is my first 1911 since retiring from the USAF over 13 years ago. I picked it up new for $830+tax. I wanted something more concealable, and did not want to always wear a vest or over shirt. I was used to carring cocked and locked as a PJ and SP, so that is how I intend to carry this weapon. I have been searching this forum and other web sites looking for apporpriate holsters to meet my needs. I would appriciate any and all feed back from you folks here.

Thanks....

Dillinger 10-17-2008 07:45 PM

Nice choice. I like the Kimber pistols and have owned 3 over the years. I still have two of those. ;)

As for a holster, what are YOU looking for? Inside the Waistband? Normal? FBI Cant? Kydex? Leather? What suits your needs/tastes the most?

JD

Dustoff 10-17-2008 08:03 PM

Sorry for for being so vague. OWB, material neg., I did have a Blackhawk CQB SERPA for my XD. Seems they are not available for Kimber. I do like some form of "security", if you will, some way to keep the weapon in the holster until I want it out.

We were providing security detail to a Central American airport in 1988 while
C130's were unloading "humanitarian supplies", when some kid unloading boxes decided to grab the side-arm of my buddy next to me. I was glad I opted to carry the old M-14, or I would have had to explain a broken plastic stock on a M-16.

junho806 10-17-2008 08:49 PM

very nice
:D
can't wait till i get a kimber...

Dillinger 10-17-2008 08:55 PM

I believe I have a Blackhawk SERPA style for my 4" that is OWB and features their level II ( I think ) finger retention system. I can't seem to find it in a quick search, but I will post a picture tonight of it and get the name for you if you like...

JD

Dustoff 10-17-2008 09:39 PM

Yeah, I have seen a black molded plastic, paddle style holster (the name evades me right now), that uses a "tension screw" for retention. I like the Blackhawk system of positive saftey, positive release, though. If BH made a unit to fit the Kimber, case closed.:D I was amazed at the prices of some of the leather products of the market (on-line) from Galco and others. They look sweet, but......$$$

Dillinger 10-17-2008 11:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah, I have tried about everything out there, including an awesome Milt Sparks custom, but I won't turn the knife and show you that one. :p

Here's teh Blackhawk, but I was wrong about one thing, it does NOT have the Level II finger release, it is only the Level I with the screw retention system, but I took the picture with my unloaded T3 in the holster, hanging upside, so you can see that it works. That one should go here:

This one is the C1310 from Blackhawk, and I believe it is built for the full size, which I also have and occassionally carry. I am trying the paddle, quick on-off style that came with the unit at the moment. Turns out I too hate it, but I needed to try it for myself before I believed all the internet hype. :D

Dillinger 10-17-2008 11:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And here is a a couple of the other units I have tried: Like the Galco small of the back horizontal and the Nighthawk Brand Yaqui Style:

They are both gathering dust at the moment in the back of the closet.

JD

Dustoff 10-18-2008 12:12 AM

With regards to retention systems, the Level II is my preference by far. As far as carrying a 1911 cocked and locked, I would like a holster with a strap between the hammer and striker/firing pin. That may sound "mammy pamby", but, I know too many anti-gun lawyers who would love to string-up some one for an accidental discharge. Especially since the manufactures documentation states not to carry with hammer "cocked" and round "chambered". BTW, thanks for the pics.

vegasjeepguy 10-18-2008 12:30 AM

I got a DeSantis lefty that has served me well. I can wear a t-shirt without revealing I am carrying.
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/6963/dsc00001bw9.jpg
I was carrying when I was in a car accident. I was t-boned and thrown 50 feet from the vehicle. My .45 was still sitting nicely locked and cocked in it's holster on my hip.