new gun owner

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > new gun owner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 04:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default new gun owner

i recently bought a springfield 1911 V10 ultra compact. i noticed the slotted slide at the tip of the barrel.. i was just wondering what is the purpose for it? what is some good ammo out there to? for home defense and target practice..

thanks,
chris chadwick

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-21-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That's a compensator. It helps the spent gases diffuse and dampens muzzle flip. However, it makes the pistol louder because the sound is channeled around instead of directly out the muzzle.

Chris, please head over to the Introduction forum and introduce yourself to the folks if you plan to stick around.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #3

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

The barrel is ported on both sides to reduce muzzle rise, the slide is milled at the same location over these ports for the gasses to escape. Springfield came out with the V10 about one year after I started doing the same porting on 1911s. A ported 1911 is a bit louder to the shooter and bystanders at the range.

Jim............

Old 01-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

I have a Springer V12 slide that I interchange and shoot with once in a while, and they are a little loud, but besides that and the mini light show at dusk, they are indeed, bridled and smooth to shoot.

They do take a little more time to clean up though.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”