Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > New Girl in the House

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I cant believe there is a limit really. VA is basically "if you got the money to own 100, own 100..." Its pretty cool here in good ole VA.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #22

Once I got my permit I was able to just walk in and buy, no waiting period, and I don't think there is a limit to how many you can own either. The wait and that fact that handguns are issued on a city by city basis is what makes MA suck it. Most MA cities will not issues a class a or a class b ... for any reason, and a lot of them make you get references, psych evals, dr. notes, etc.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACRhino View Post
Once I got my permit I was able to just walk in and buy, no waiting period, and I don't think there is a limit to how many you can own either. The wait and that fact that handguns are issued on a city by city basis is what makes MA suck it. Most MA cities will not issues a class a or a class b ... for any reason, and a lot of them make you get references, psych evals, dr. notes, etc.
Nope, no limit on how many you can own. If there was I would have reached it already. The only limit is four personal sales per year.

I'm glad I live in a small town - had no problem getting my Class A.

And the worst part about MA is the restriction on types of firearms. Half the manufacturers don't bother complying with MA laws and regulations because they figure MA is such a small buying market to begin with. So cool stuff like custom 1911s (Nighthawk) will never make it into MA.

Figure this out, my Class A allows me to own 'large' capacity firearms, but owning a 'large' capacity mag is still a felony.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Last edited by dnthmn2004; 07-03-2011 at 02:21 PM.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
Nope, no limit on how many you can own. If there was I would have reached it already. The only limit is four personal sales per year.

I'm glad I live in a small town - had no problem getting my Class A.

And the worst part about MA is the restriction on types of firearms. Half the manufacturers don't bother complying with MA laws and regulations because they figure MA is such a small buying market to begin with. So cool stuff like custom 1911s (Nighthawk) will never make it into MA.

Figure this out, my Class A allows me to own 'large' capacity firearms, but owning a 'large' capacity mag is still a felony.

You can own large cap mags as long as they aren't stamped with a "LE" on them.

Capacity only takes effect when that extented amount mixs with whatever mods you might have on the gun and it becomes considered an assault weapon. For instance, my ruger 10/22 has a 10 round removable magazine and is semi auto. If I were to add a pistol grip and a adjusable stock it would be illegal. If it was bolt action or only held 5 rounds it would not be an assault weapon lol ... a mossberg 500 with a pistol grip, adjustable stock, and an extended tube holding more tha 5 rounds is an assault riffle lol. A pistol with 10 or more rounds if you added the right mods would be an assault riffle lol. Sawed off shot guns and silencers are pretty much life in prison.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACRhino View Post
You can own large cap mags as long as they aren't stamped with a "LE" on them.

Capacity only takes effect when that extented amount mixs with whatever mods you might have on the gun and it becomes considered an assault weapon. For instance, my ruger 10/22 has a 10 round removable magazine and is semi auto. If I were to add a pistol grip and a adjusable stock it would be illegal. If it was bolt action or only held 5 rounds it would not be an assault weapon lol ... a mossberg 500 with a pistol grip, adjustable stock, and an extended tube holding more tha 5 rounds is an assault riffle lol. A pistol with 10 or more rounds if you added the right mods would be an assault riffle lol. Sawed off shot guns and silencers are pretty much life in prison.
Sort of... but your confusing high capacity laws with assault rifle laws. Whoever told you that you can own large cap mags without "LE Only" is your worst enemy. Simply owning a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds that was manufactured after the ban is a felony.

From the MGLs
The sale, offering for sale, transfer or possession of large capacity feeding devices for assault weapons (as defined under Mass. Gen. Laws ch. 140, § 121), is prohibited unless such device was lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Ch. 140, § 131M.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 07-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 138

WOW Mass is really FUBAR, I bought new AR 20 rnd mags at a gun show in Fitchburg 2 years ago.

Live free or die

Old 07-05-2011, 09:35 PM   #27

One of the reasons I moved to TN from CA was all the new laws that they passed. I had to move some stuff out of state before I was able to make the move.
Happy now in a free state.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #28

Liked 76 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The best 1911 I ever had was an old West Hurley Auto Ordnance. It would feed anything including empty cases. Course the only thing left of the original gun was the frame and slide.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 07-06-2011, 01:03 AM   #29

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhsuper44 View Post
WOW Mass is really FUBAR, I bought new AR 20 rnd mags at a gun show in Fitchburg 2 years ago.
Its only a felony to own one in MA.

We have a list of firearms MA determined meet specific safety standards...
http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/firearms/approved_firearms_roster.pdf

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 07-06-2011, 01:23 AM   #30

So a 30rd 22 banana mag is illegal in MA?

Its an Eagle 2230 ... I have no info on it at all other than is doesn't say "LE".

Police department didn't even know.

Last edited by ACRhino; 07-06-2011 at 01:36 AM.