New to the forums - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > New to the forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

lol I'd eat it.. if there was anything left. I don't want to trade it, and don't plan to buy another full set up until I've built my own at least. My next goal is to custom build one. So even if I didn't mod the Taurus I plan to buy part by part for my next one and put it together as I go.

On that note, does anyone have suggestions for what company to use to get custom parts and such? I looked at Caspians store and like all the customization options but don't really know what else it out there pistol wise. Yes I do know it will cost more in the long run to build my own then to buy a nice one but 1. I built it and 2. If I can buy parts here and there its more feasible for me.

I do agree that Taurus has some shotty firearms but a lot of companies do to. I love mine so far, and had shot my fathers PT1911 before I got this one and loved it as well. I'm sure there are better ones out there but I wouldn't say "you get what you pay for", like this 700.00 pistol is a highpoint. 1 of my favorite pistols I've ever shot was a 30.00 Ruger MKIII 22LR, followed by a 400.00 Springfield XD.

I've said it multiple times, I bought this gun because it was 300.00 for a 700.00 pistol and I love 1911's. I've been big into rifles for a long time and love them (mainly military surplus) and would love to have one of the old WW2 Colts but as for now 300.00 for any 1911 short of Rock Island or American Classic is a good deal in my view so I am gonna run with it. I know its not the best, which is why I'd like to build my own.

”The philosophy of gun control: Teenagers are roaring through town at 90MPH, where the speed limit is 25. Your solution is to lower the speed limit to 20.”
~Sam Cohen (inventor of the neutron bomb)

Last edited by CharlieWhiskey261; 05-10-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #12

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossfly View Post
2 things------------
just shoot the taurus till you can trade it up or buy another
leave the poor squirrels alone unless you eat what you kill
^^ +1 hoss!

(I didn't say it dad. )

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21988 Times on 12398 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieWhiskey261 View Post
lol I'd eat it.. if there was anything left. I don't want to trade it, and don't plan to buy another full set up until I've built my own at least. My next goal is to custom build one. So even if I didn't mod the Taurus I plan to buy part by part for my next one and put it together as I go.

On that note, does anyone have suggestions for what company to use to get custom parts and such? I looked at Caspians store and like all the customization options but don't really know what else it out there pistol wise. Yes I do know it will cost more in the long run to build my own then to buy a nice one but 1. I built it and 2. If I can buy parts here and there its more feasible for me.
unless you have extensive knowledge and equipment, building a 1911 from scratch is a waste of time. unless you plan on building many 1911's, buying the equipment and tools to build a 1911, is going to be very expensive. by the time you bought all the parts and tools needed and assuming you have the expertise to do it correctly, you could have bought several 1911's already to shoot, right out of the box. too many think that building a 1911 is like building an AR. it's not. there are too many parts that needed to be fitted and made to work, then when buying parts from different suppliers, the problem is compounded further. best suggestion, just buy one that has the features you want and shoot the snot out of it.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I get where you're coming from Axxe. I probably won't ever completely build 1 but the idea is something I am in love with. I've messed with rifles for a while now and theres just something about a 1911 that im gravitated toward. I have a few friends that have worked in gun smithing and have some of the equipment needed. Basically at this point I am just looking at options and probably will end up picking something else up instead.

I know I am new to these forums and likewise don't expect a lot of credit nor do I deserve it yet. Also, I am kind of hard headed, I don't like to be wrong and am very competitive. I hope no one takes me wrong on here and thinks I am just trying to be a troll or start problems. I really do appreciate at least most input and hope that I'll have as much fun in the world of 1911s and pistols as I have in rifles.

”The philosophy of gun control: Teenagers are roaring through town at 90MPH, where the speed limit is 25. Your solution is to lower the speed limit to 20.”

Old 05-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21988 Times on 12398 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
I get where you're coming from Axxe. I probably won't ever completely build 1 but the idea is something I am in love with. I've messed with rifles for a while now and theres just something about a 1911 that im gravitated toward. I have a few friends that have worked in gun smithing and have some of the equipment needed. Basically at this point I am just looking at options and probably will end up picking something else up instead.

I know I am new to these forums and likewise don't expect a lot of credit nor do I deserve it yet. Also, I am kind of hard headed, I don't like to be wrong and am very competitive. I hope no one takes me wrong on here and thinks I am just trying to be a troll or start problems. I really do appreciate at least most input and hope that I'll have as much fun in the world of 1911s and pistols as I have in rifles.
i hear where you're coming from. i think just about anyone who has owned a 1911 or several in the case as some of us, has given thought to building a 1911 from the ground up. it's a great idea, but by the time you buy all the parts, buy the tools, and buy the books and such, it's just not cost effective. i know i looked into myself many years ago, and when i put pen to paper, i found out that i could buy a couple or even several for what one would cost. plus there is the chance it will be a problem pistol if everything isn't fitted peoperly, which means it will probably never function correctly. i am not saying it isn't doable to build one, but definately not a job for the inexperianced.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ive thought about taking some gun smithing classes. Theres a few here taught close and thought it would be fun, plus a way to make a little cash on the side. I've always like engineering stuff and love working on my car and what not. tedious stuff with a lot of detail. I bought my car for 5000.00 and since have put probably 20,000.00 into it.. lol

Last edited by CharlieWhiskey261; 05-10-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #17

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
On that note, does anyone have suggestions for what company to use to get custom parts and such?
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/oops-i-did-again-63744/#post792283

then scroll down to post 17

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

awesome, thanks a lot. I'll look into them

Old 05-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

On a side note, I finally got a photo to post up.