You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

New to the forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default New to the forums

Hey guys, I've been a fan of firearms for a while and recently picked up my "must keep" firearm a Taurus PT1911, and have been looking into different upgrades and stuff I can pick up. My goal was to buy a decent, but cheaper side 1911 and slowly upgrade and replace parts until I had my own custom pistol. Well the opportunity arose recently when I was contacted by a friend about his Taurus PT1911 he needed to sell for quick cash and picked it up at a whopping 320.00. So far, short of it being pretty dirty, I love it. Obviously its a 1911 so its going to feel amazing in your hand and the PT1911 has ambidextrous safety that is great for lefties like myself. I love firearms and so I figured why not get on somewhere where I can not only share my interest with others but broaden my knowledge on the subject. I have messed with a lot of rifles but this is one of my first pistols. I pulled it apart last night which took me about 10 minutes found it to be pretty dirty but was able to get it apart and together fairly quickly and easily.

My main question as of now is has anyone here had any problems with their Taurus PT1911s? I am not looking for "I once heard that Taurus sucked" answers. First person accounts are appreciated. Anything that I should for in my 1911 or any common problems. The slide seems pretty smooth on it and without shooting it, it appears to be in pretty nice shape.

The other question I have has to do with upgrades.

I've read that triggers, hammers, sears, and springs are the place to start on making your 1911 a better all around pistol. Is this true? What are your opinions on upgrading 1911's and what brands do you suggest?
Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #2

Liked 1055 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 936

First Taurus is not highly regarded in the 1911 world. 2nd they are hit and miss. If you got a good one congrats. 3rd shoot the hell out of it as is as your tastes will change a bunch in the 1st year of joining the 1911 world. Once you have some time in the platform you will know what you like and don't much better. Then make changes. My guess is you will buy more 1911s with the stuff you like on them. Happens to most who get into the 1911 platform.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4574 Times on 2556 Posts
Likes Given: 2208

+1 on what limbkiller is telling ya.

Shoot the heck out of it, then change.
If I had the money for all the changes I've made to my guns that weren't needed, I'd be retired.

Now, how much to shoot? I would say that you should try to wear the thing out.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
rab
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Hi! Welcome to the forum. So much for formalities............
Well, imho, don't be so quick to spend money. (I might be old-fashioned) The gun has many parts that need to learn to work together. For the time being, buy good ammo to break it in with. Learn to shoot it proficiently. Each gun is different. You'll need to get used to it. There will be plenty of time to buy all the things that you want. At least then, you'll know what you need.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22401 Times on 12496 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i with the others. Taurus has let their QC slip to the point of you might get a good one or not. i myself own a Taurus revolver, but have enough concerns that i would probably never purchase another new one. i hope you have one that is one of the better ones.

now on to your questions on modifications. Don't! shoot the snot out it like you're trying to wear it out. clean and maintain it per the owners manual. if you don't have one, get one. learn the pistol and how it operates, then you will have a better understanding of what you want in a 1911. sometimes its cheaper to buy one with the features you want or need vs. modifying one into what you want. you might find that like many of us, one 1911 is just not enough!

Old 05-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #6

Liked 3988 Times on 2234 Posts
Likes Given: 2630

I'd say shoot the heck out of it because it helps

the 1911s "wear in". Many times a crappy

shooter" out- of -the- box" gets much more dependable

as it cycles repeatedly.

And welcome to the FTF.

Make ya a deal. Don't crap on my Hi-Point carbine, and I won't

give you grief about your Taurus...

Old 05-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well i got it for cheaper than you can pick up a rock island, and I like the ambidextrous safety. I talked to the guy at Caspain about a frame that works with the safety style and he said he didn't have the time and funding to take on the project. Like I said, I got it because it was a .45, it was 300.00, and I figured I could slowly swap parts out. I've wanted to build a custom 1911 for a long time and this way I can slowly build on what I have and just save the old parts and rebuild them together when im done. Basically turning 1 1911 into 2. I love the way it feels love the overall 1911 experience. Went and picked up a box of 50 brass and need to find something to shoot at. As soon as I get a day off I might drive out to some public hunting land and try to shoot a squirrel or something. I

Old 05-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #8

Liked 2184 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
+1 on what limbkiller is telling ya.

Shoot the heck out of it, then change.
If I had the money for all the changes I've made to my guns that weren't needed, I'd be retired.

Now, how much to shoot? I would say that you should try to wear the thing out.
Wat he said

Old 05-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #9

Liked 2184 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieWhiskey261 View Post
Well i got it for cheaper than you can pick up a rock island, and I like the ambidextrous safety. I talked to the guy at Caspain about a frame that works with the safety style and he said he didn't have the time and funding to take on the project. Like I said, I got it because it was a .45, it was 300.00, and I figured I could slowly swap parts out. I've wanted to build a custom 1911 for a long time and this way I can slowly build on what I have and just save the old parts and rebuild them together when im done. Basically turning 1 1911 into 2. I love the way it feels love the overall 1911 experience. Went and picked up a box of 50 brass and need to find something to shoot at. As soon as I get a day off I might drive out to some public hunting land and try to shoot a squirrel or something. I
2 things------------
Just shoot the Taurus till you can trade it up or buy another
Leave the poor squirrels alone unless you eat what you kill

Old 05-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #10

Liked 1471 Times on 820 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Taurus huh?

Well you get what you pay for in the 1911 world.

My father used to say to me, "Son, if ya got nothing good to say, don't go provin' it."

So...........

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello