New Combat Commander Colt 70 series - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > New Combat Commander Colt 70 series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Cane, what is the purpose of the colleted barrel bushing? and how does it make it more accurate? i too realize most people who buy the Gold Gup are looking for the most accurate Colt 1911 and are striving for the utmost in accuracy and most are not the typical 1911 shooter. just another curious question, can you still get a colleted barrel bushing?
Don't have Canes knowledge on the purpose so i'll just say yes to the availibility of the collet bushing today

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 07-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #32

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Cane, what is the purpose of the colleted barrel bushing? and how does it make it more accurate?
First the "Series 70" design is a combination of bushing and barrel.

Not to over-simplify the design but think of the muzzle end of the "Series 70" barrel as a cone, (remember my over-simplify comment) increasing in size as you approach the muzzle. As the slide returns to battery the barrel and the bushing experience an increased interference fit. When the barrel lugs "lock-up" the bushing-to-barrel will be at its tightest fit.

I think the failure (with good intentions) of the collet bushing in it's day was due to the owner removing the bushing from the barrel while field stripping and cleaning their gun. Each time the bushing was "stretched" over the muzzle during cleaning, the bushing was stressed beyond its design shape. (Think of slamming the slide to battery with a round in the chamber and the resulting damage to the extractor.) This repetition will stress the fingers and cause fatigue resulting in stress fractures and ultimately breakage. Here's a case of improper dis-assembly IMO, being detrimental.

With a solid bushing 1911 if the removed barrel and bushing is held muzzle down, the bushing will fall off. This same experiment conducted on a "Series 70" barrel the bushing will stop short of the muzzle.

Quote:
I too realize most people who buy the Gold Gup are looking for the most accurate Colt 1911 and are striving for the utmost in accuracy and most are not the typical 1911 shooter. just another curious question, can you still get a colleted barrel bushing?
I'm sure you can find a collet/barrel set-up but most accuracy improvements today are done by hand fitting the bushing to the barrel or the elimination of a bushing altogether and going with a bull barrel to slide fit.

The whole idea is to stabilize the barrel so the at-battery lock-up is consistent shot to shot. Slop is good for a CQC gun's reliability but NOT one used in competition.

When looking at a used 1911 that I'm considering, the first thing post clearing the gun is to check the barrel link geometry for wear by applying force to the chamber hood looking for slop or any movement. I then go to the muzzle and check for slop in the muzzle to slide/bushing fit. These two simple checks will speak volumes to the gun's maintenance and wear.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 07-21-2012 at 03:42 AM.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #33
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21581 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

thank you Cane for the information. i had heard of the collet style barrel bushing, but had never seen one. i was sure that if it was used on the Gold Cup it probably had something to do with increasing accuracy. newer barrel bushings hand fitted to the slide and barrel pretty much make it obselete i guess.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #34

Quote:
thank you Cane for the information. i had heard of the collet style barrel bushing, but had never seen one. i was sure that if it was used on the Gold Cup it probably had something to do with increasing accuracy. newer barrel bushings hand fitted to the slide and barrel pretty much make it obselete i guess.
Obselete, or more like idiot resistant.

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 07-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #35

Powersportgiant, sorry for the thread-jacking. I do tend to get carried away at times.

- orangello

Old 07-15-2012, 12:23 AM   #36

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
Powersportgiant, sorry for the thread-jacking. I do tend to get carried away at times.
All good information. Your input is welcome at any time. No matter if it's off subject or not !