Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   New Colt super 38 owner with problems (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/new-colt-super-38-owner-problems-15811/)

Bigguns911 07-17-2009 02:49 AM

New Colt super 38 owner with problems

I just got a 1950's manufacture Colt super 38 and I am having problems with it feeding ammo. It is in very good shape, looks to have very few round shot out of it.

When I attempt to chamber a round, the round goes in about 1/3 of the way. It then locks up the slid and I have to pull hard on the slid it to get it to come back. The round stays in the chamber and does not get pulled out by the ejector. It looks like the round is at to hard of an angle and it is hitting he top of the chamber. If I chamber a round then put in the mag with a round in it then fire, the gun shoots great but it does not pick up the second round. I then attempt to chamber a round. The round then picks up but get jams.

I am also finding the mag is not seating properly. I slap it home and then I can pull the mag out with out pushing the mag release button.

The question is, is it the mag or is it the feed ramp. If it is the mag any suggestions on where to get a good mag. If it is the feed ramp am I up the Sh>> river with no hope. Will it cost me a lot to fix this problem. Any help will make this new Colt 1911 owner happy, Thanks

Bigguns911 07-17-2009 04:44 AM

OK boys think i have found the prob

After looking (plying with) the gun I think I found the problem, The mag. If I pull the mag out about 1/4 inch the round the feed. If I have the mag pushed home it will jam and piss me off. The slid also jams on the mag.:eek:

So I need info on a good mag, not the junk I have now. Can you help with this. Thanks

masterPsmith 07-17-2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigguns911 (Post 129891)
After looking (plying with) the gun I think I found the problem, The mag. If I pull the mag out about 1/4 inch the round the feed. If I have the mag pushed home it will jam and piss me off. The slid also jams on the mag.:eek:

So I need info on a good mag, not the junk I have now. Can you help with this. Thanks

You are correct on what the problem was (most common cause). Almost all FTF problems can be attributed to faulty mags. Weak recoil spring is another as well. There are a few other causes also, but I won't go into them here. There are many quality aftermarket mags out there, just depends on how much you want to spend. If you would be using it in a defensive role at any time--Don't Skimp On The Mags. They need to run 100%.

Jim..............................

NGIB 07-17-2009 11:26 AM

I wonder how much bad press 1911s get because of bad or cheap mags? My carry mags are all Wilsons and my range mags are McCormicks. I just won't use mags that come with guns as I really don't like headaches...

Bigguns911 07-17-2009 04:09 PM

Thanks boy's, I changer out the older mag with a newer one. As of now it looks like it will work. I checked Wilson Combats web pager for mags but I could not find any in 38 super. Can anyone suggest a web page with mags for Colt 38 super that are under $50.00 per. Thanks