New 1911 FTFs - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > New 1911 FTFs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 04:13 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieHaynes View Post
You should not have any ftf issues with your 1911, check your mags most factory mags are junk
Really- Give me a couple of FACTORY mags that are "junk"

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This 
Old 06-24-2013, 04:25 AM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Really- Give me a couple of FACTORY mags that are "junk"
hello Hossfly! how ya been? good i hope!

i use many of my factory mags for range use and use the higher quality ones for important uses.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:45 AM   #23
For unto us a child is born..
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1896 Times on 1052 Posts
Likes Given: 5713

I'll agree with Axxe on voiding the warranty.

If it's a new gun don't start messing with it until you are ready to take over the maintenance yourself

Try different magazines as noted above, different ammo (like 230 gr FMJ) and make sure you have a nice grip when firing.

No one wants to be without their new gun while it goes back to the factory. But Mr. Dremel, and Miss Flitz should not be invited to your party yet.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-24-2013, 04:49 AM   #24

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I've yet to own or shoot a new 1991 that needed a break in period. I see the 250, 500 round thing fairly often but just have no experience to fall back on that supports that. The only thing I have ever had to do to a new pistol is break it down and clean the old oil and other stuff out and lube it for use. I've owned around 15 1911's it one time or another. None needed to break in.

I'm real iffy about polishing the feed ramp on a new gun. No, I don' think it will hurt it...IF IT'S DONE RIGHT...But if you are looking for a problem that probably will not be it unless you can see some funky sub par work done to the ramp from the factory.

The fact that it was at the same place in two mags pretty much kills the mag issue. So the first place I'd look would be how well it was cleaned and lubed before shot and the shooter doing it. There has been times I ,thought I was gripping right and had someone get em to pay attention to a bad habit forming. Don't assume you have perfect grip unleaded you have more than you to attest to it.

I don't own a R1 but have shot a couple. None had the issue your talking about. There was a bad mag issue with one of them. Most the time I see issues wit ha new 1911 has to do with a lack of cleaning when it was new.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-24-2013, 04:55 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
I'll agree with Axxe on voiding the warranty.

If it's a new gun don't start messing with it until you are ready to take over the maintenance yourself

Try different magazines as noted above, different ammo (like 230 gr FMJ) and make sure you have a nice grip when firing.

No one wants to be without their new gun while it goes back to the factory. But Mr. Dremel, and Miss Flitz should not be invited to your party yet.
exactly! if it's new and has a warranty, then why not use it? if it wasn't, then go ahead and Bubbafy it, if you so choose to. me, i would try the most possible cause of most semi-autos problems, the magazines. i'm not saying this is the source of the problems for sure, but it seems quite possible it is. if not, then IMO a trip back to Remington seems in order to me.

my R1 Enhanced has run great right out the box with all the ammo i have decided to feed it, even my own reloads work great. the only item i have changed on it, are the grips. unless it develops a problem, that will be the only change i'll make to it.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:00 AM   #26

Liked 2029 Times on 1117 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

If it is always the same mag...I would try to disassemble and clean the mag. I use a spray graphite lube on mine. I clean them real good. Then spray the inside of the mag while it is apart. Let it dry. Then reassemble. Works great for me. The best mag in the world will stick with a little dirt in it.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #27

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Personally, I think ACT mags are junk and they come from the factory with some of the RIA guns I've been selling lately.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #28
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3112 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
The slide tried to go into the battery and the 6th round (each time the 6th round) just didn't properly load. I wasn't close to the slide stop nor was I limp wristing. The fact that it happened on the 6th round of each magazine makes me believe its a mechanical issue of some sort.

At the risk of pointing to another site for other resources, I saw the same issue with the 6th round misfeeding on a r 1 5 dot com.

I am going to give the pistol a good thorough cleaning and try again. Thanks to all who have weighed in on this thread, it's appreciated!
I have some 9mm mags I tried with my .38Super. The .38Super round would bind. But the 9mm 1911 can use the .38Super mags with no problem.

Not knowing your ammo, is it possible that the ammo could be at fault by allowing the taper crimp to slip?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-25-2013, 12:30 AM   #29

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
exactly! if it's new and has a warranty, then why not use it? if it wasn't, then go ahead and Bubbafy it, if you so choose to. me, i would try the most possible cause of most semi-autos problems, the magazines. i'm not saying this is the source of the problems for sure, but it seems quite possible it is. if not, then IMO a trip back to Remington seems in order to me.

my R1 Enhanced has run great right out the box with all the ammo i have decided to feed it, even my own reloads work great. the only item i have changed on it, are the grips. unless it develops a problem, that will be the only change i'll make to it.
I've found nothing smooths out a feed ramp like a bunch of hard ball ammo
..Not to say that I've never polished things in my 1911's. But I wont unless I have tried a few other things first. I can not count the people that leave a gun shop and hewad straight to the range and wonder why the new wizbang doohickey is not working right.
I also can't remember all the times I've brought a new gun home and break it down and find funky stuff in there that could have caused some type of problem.

It's a simple truth that 1911 people tend to be a little more touchy feely with their guns. I have no problem taking one completely apart and reassembling it....IF IT NEEDS TO BE DONE..But that is not my first place to look when up pops an issue. And it should not be for anyone.
There's the ammo, mags, recoil spring, and new gun crud that have to be addressed first. And usually if it will be one of these things.
Ammo a little light in the load?
Recoil spring a little right?
Mags have a lip issue?
Was it cleaned before first use?

My Dad used to say often to me that it was a poor mechanic that blamed his tools. Now where did I put my left handed screwdriver??!!??

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-25-2013, 12:44 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
I've found nothing smooths out a feed ramp like a bunch of hard ball ammo
..Not to say that I've never polished things in my 1911's. But I wont unless I have tried a few other things first. I can not count the people that leave a gun shop and hewad straight to the range and wonder why the new wizbang doohickey is not working right.
I also can't remember all the times I've brought a new gun home and break it down and find funky stuff in there that could have caused some type of problem.

It's a simple truth that 1911 people tend to be a little more touchy feely with their guns. I have no problem taking one completely apart and reassembling it....IF IT NEEDS TO BE DONE..But that is not my first place to look when up pops an issue. And it should not be for anyone.
There's the ammo, mags, recoil spring, and new gun crud that have to be addressed first. And usually if it will be one of these things.
Ammo a little light in the load?
Recoil spring a little right?
Mags have a lip issue?
Was it cleaned before first use?

My Dad used to say often to me that it was a poor mechanic that blamed his tools. Now where did I put my left handed screwdriver??!!??
good post DrumJunkie! very well put.

when i get a new firearm or even just a new one to me, i do at least a field strip, and cleaning and check the bore. what if something got lodged in the barrel for some odd reason? finding out when you pull the trigger would not be the most oppotune time to find out! and then i do a light lube or oiling. i check the function of all the features and make sure everything is functioning like it's suppose to. if something isn't working correctly and safely, then i needs attention before i put ammo into it and fire it.

i will also mention this for those new to the forum or new to the 1911 platform. there are some very good stickies written by Canebrake at the beginning of this sub-forum. please read them, as there is a lot of good information there that would be very beneficial to anyone that is thinking about getting a 1911, or has just gotten there first one.