Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   New 1911 FTFs (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/new-1911-ftfs-92436/)

Bevo 06-17-2013 05:41 PM

New 1911 FTFs

Hi all, I took my new Remington 1911 R1 to the range today and had two failures to feed, on the 6th round of the mags I took. One magazine is factory that came with the pistol and the other is an after market (don't recall the brand).

I've heard about this issue with this model before but don't recall the solution. Can anyone here shed light on a fix for this noob? TIA.

FullautoUSA 06-17-2013 05:51 PM

First of all, welcome to FTF, have you checked out the introductions yet!
You say you bought it new, on a 1911 you have to put around 250 rounds through it, this is called the break in period, during this period there may be some malfunctions, after you break it in it will start running great.

Bevo 06-17-2013 06:48 PM

I have indeed checked in the intro forum; it's just good protocol. Thanks for the reply, I'll try to stay patient! It's odd though, my Ruger P89 has never malfunctioned once in 20 years and countless rounds.

Thanks again for the reply.

Olympus 06-17-2013 07:07 PM

Sit with your gun in the evenings and continually rack the slide and dry fire. Take a rag and some metal polish and use your finger to polish the feed ramp of the frame. Then give it another 250 rounds and you should be running smoothly by then.

HOSSFLY 06-18-2013 01:19 AM

Shoot it----
Then shoot it some more ;)

ctshooter 06-18-2013 01:44 AM

Polish the feed ramp. Get some Wilson, and or McCormick mags, a few boxes of ammo and most importantly...............

Shot the snot out of it!!

therewolf 06-18-2013 02:08 AM

IME, the mags can be the key, and which ones suck differ

greatly from gun to gun, and user to user. So you can

probably trade away your bad mags.

A little(drop or two) of grease on the rails,

after cleaning, where

the slide meets the receiver won't kill you.

Also be sure you don't limp wrist during firing.

It'll jam you every time.

Rick1967 06-18-2013 03:22 AM

I do not have a Remington. But I do own and compete with a 1911. And mine is not an expensive gun. I own a $500 Citidel. It has run flawlessly from the time I took it out of the box. I did not need to break it in, in any way.

I would suggest a really good cleaning. 99% of dependability issues can be corrected with a simple cleaning. New guns should always be disassembled and cleaned before shooting.

Axxe55 06-18-2013 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick1967 (Post 1279438)
I do not have a Remington. But I do own and compete with a 1911. And mine is not an expensive gun. I own a $500 Citidel. It has run flawlessly from the time I took it out of the box. I did not need to break it in, in any way.

I would suggest a really good cleaning. 99% of dependability issues can be corrected with a simple cleaning. New guns should always be disassembled and cleaned before shooting.

i agree. a good cleaning and a light oiling of the moving parts should be all it needs.

in my many years now of owning and shooting 1911's, most problems stem from defective magazines. in most part, most 1911's are shipped many times with some of the cheapest crappy mags. if using higher quality mags like the Wilson Combat, the McCormack or Tripp Reseach mags and the problem persists, it needs to be looked at by a compentent gunsmith who is well versed in 1911's, if not under warranty. if it's still under warranty, then call the manufacterer and have it sent in for repairs.

if the pistol is under warranty, do nothing to the pistol, because this can void the warranty. if in doubt, read your warranty clause in the operators manual.

Rick1967 06-18-2013 04:39 AM

I agree with AXXE 100%