Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > new 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 04:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default new 1911

I was thinking of buying a Springfield operator would like some input on the gun thank you

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2012, 05:17 AM   #2
Home Sweet Home!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16977 Times on 9833 Posts
Likes Given: 44231

go to the 1911 forum section and read the sticky by Canebrake on choosing your first 1911, then come back here and ask some questions. it will help you decide which one is right for your needs. the SA 1911's are very good pistols and are very well made, but there might be a better one for you based on what you need it for.

Last edited by Axxe55; 03-09-2012 at 05:19 AM.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #3

I went to the gun range and rent 4 type of 1911 and I like the Springfield op and just whant some input on the gun and thank you that helps.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #4

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj View Post
I went to the gun range and rent 4 type of 1911 and I like the Springfield op and just whant some input on the gun and thank you that helps.

Then it appears that you have answered your own question. Firearms are like women and cars. You pick the one you feel comfortable with and enjoy. Springfield makes solid firearms.
Obviously, every company puts out a lemon now and then, but the odds are in your favor that you have chosen a reliable firearm.
Next question is, what are you buying it for? The purpose is just as important as what it is.
If you like that Springer, then there's no reason not to buy it, just make sure it does fit your desires. Are you looking for a primary carry sidearm for self defense? Are you planning on going to the range and intimidating paper targets?
Is it a home defense tool that will, hopefully, live in a drawer other than when you take it to the range to test it?
All of this needs to be considered. Can you afford the ammo to make regular trips to stay sharp with it?
If the cost of the ammo concerns you, then a conversion kit may be a good idea, to convert it to .22 caliber for your range trips, only takes a couple of minutes, then you save a fortune on ammo. (I find that a myth. Anytime I take a converted weapon, I find I shoot significantly more ammo, but that is never a bad thing.)
Canebrake is the master of the 1911. I think he helped Sam make them, and pointed out the problems with the guns when they were being made, hence leading toward what many, and history verifies, is nearly a flawless sidearm.
You don't last over a century without being rock solid, and the 1911 platform is definitely a solid one.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 03-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
If the cost of the ammo concerns you, then a conversion kit may be a good idea, to convert it to .22 caliber for your range trips, only takes a couple of minutes, then you save a fortune on ammo. (I find that a myth. Anytime I take a converted weapon, I find I shoot significantly more ammo, but that is never a bad thing.).
I followed that logic and was shopping for a conversion kit. They run about $300 new. I would up buying a GSG 1911 in .22LR for $350; just $50 more for a complete gun.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #6

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes227 View Post
I followed that logic and was shopping for a conversion kit. They run about $300 new. I would up buying a GSG 1911 in .22LR for $350; just $50 more for a complete gun.

Only reason I prefer using a conversion kit? (Sadly, my current firearm doesn't have one available) is that every gun has it's own quirks and personality. I tend to be a fan of using the exact same trigger and overall gun as I intend to practice with, vice using a different gun for training that my go-to firearm.
Plus, having to convert it also breaks some bad habits, such as the ever famous 'I'll clean it after the next range trip'.
In essence, you don't practice driving in a mini-Cooper then go out on the road in a dually. Same logic with guns. Practice with what you drive, as much as possible.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 03-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #7

Thank Ben well I own a couple gun just not a 1911 and a live in Los Angeles so no ccw I just shoot for fun and practice and new to gun world I personaly never heard about Springfield so just want to know some input from people who have shoot this type firearm more then me I only spend 30 minutes whit the gun but it felt good in hand. And from what been reading look like Springfield is a solid company thank againg guys for all ur help.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
Home Sweet Home!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16977 Times on 9833 Posts
Likes Given: 44231

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj View Post
Thank Ben well I own a couple gun just not a 1911 and a live in Los Angeles so no ccw I just shoot for fun and practice and new to gun world I personaly never heard about Springfield so just want to know some input from people who have shoot this type firearm more then me I only spend 30 minutes whit the gun but it felt good in hand. And from what been reading look like Springfield is a solid company thank againg guys for all ur help.
check out the SA Range Officer. there is a good 1911 for the range. price is decent for a 1911 too. then there is the Colt Gold Cup, also a nice range pistol.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #9

Thank axxe I will

Old 03-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #10

Liked 162 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 256

BenLuby that is too funny "Firearms are like women and cars. You pick the one you feel comfortable with and enjoy."

I wish it were that simple for me, finding a woman who will put up with my...gun obsessions was a challenge, while my other guns don't mind at all.

My search payed off and I have a great relationship with my guns and most of the time the wife too.

As for the operator they are fine guns, others will have more or less options, but if it is what trips your trigger finger go for it.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.