New to the 1911
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > New to the 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 04:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default New to the 1911

Hey guys I just bought my first handgun now that I am 21 I picked up a new Springfield armory 1911 A-1 loaded and I'm in love could use any tips on anything cleaning ammo grips anything I'm all ears now thanks in advance!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-14-2011, 04:34 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

image-1274272693.jpg

Here it is

Old 10-14-2011, 04:49 AM   #3
PCR

Good for you!

Paul

Old 10-14-2011, 04:56 AM   #4

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Nice. SA makes a nice 1911 indeed. I almost bought one before I got my Sig but didn't like the fact that the SA didn't have front strap checkering. The 1911 was made for the 230 grn round, my advice, keep to it. As far as cleaning goes, I use ballistol. The stuff is amazing. You can sometimes find it at your local gun store. If not, order it from midway. You can use it for the grips and everything.
Things to know about the 1911...NEVER LET THE SLIDE GO
W/O HAVING A ROUND IN THE CHAMBER! BE CAREFUL NOT TO IDIOT SCRATCH YOUR FRAME...FIGHT THE URGE TO GET THE ROTARY TOOL.... SHOOT THE LIVING SNOT OUT OF IT BEFORE YOU CHANGE ANYTHING (500-1000 rounds at least) IE:TRIGGER, SIGHTS ETC ETC. There are others but those are the main tips. Congratulations on your first 1911. Sad to say that it won't be your last. Welcome to the forum brother, she looks purdy.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 10-14-2011, 05:03 AM   #5

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Don’t do anything to, or complain about the “new” gun until you have run 500 rounds of 230 gr Ball (that’s Full Metal Jacket like WWB) ammo downrange. Don’t try HP’s, +P’s or anything other than what JMB designed the thing to shoot!

Don’t shoot any of the first 500 rounds at a target located greater than 10 meters away. (it’s a gun test not a competition) Don’t clean it, don’t field strip it, do nothing but run a jag down the barrel to make sure there is no cosmoline remaining from shipping protection.

If you don’t get the full 500 rounds done in one shoot, let it marinate in the soot and range sweat until you get back to the job at hand. OK, you can wipe the exterior down but don’t go inside yet.

That job is NOT Break-In, it’s a new gun test to decide if you’re going to send it back to the manufacturer and have them make it right.

This is the time to check for the following:

• Does it feed with all the mags that came with it?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock on the last round?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with only one round loaded?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with two rounds loaded?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with three rounds loaded?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with four rounds loaded?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with five rounds loaded?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with six rounds loaded?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with seven rounds loaded?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with a full mag?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with a full mag +1?
  • Where does the brass fall?
  • Does the gun feel solid?
  • Is anything found loose? Grips? Sights? Barrel?........
  • Yes, the slide stop/release is tight. (it’s a new gun)
  • Does it fire with the thumb safety on and the grip safety engaged? (do this sans ammo)
  • Does it fire with the thumb safety off and the grip safety off? (do this sans ammo)
  • Trigger take-up?
  • Trigger brake? It should be a surprise.
  • Trigger reset?
  • Does it shoot to aim?
  • Did you take notes?

Shoot the snot out of it.

Once the "Gun Test" is successfully completed and you have found no issues requiring factory attention then, and only then can you start with your ammo testing. I bet it will feed everything including empty brass!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-14-2011, 05:04 AM   #6

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

Congrats on the fine purchase Its been said but shoot about 1k rounds before you change anything. You will find that certain mag brands are more reliable than others. Trial and error. Best of luck.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
Don’t do anything to, or complain about the “new” gun until you have run 500 rounds of 230 gr Ball (that’s Full Metal Jacket like WWB) ammo downrange. Don’t try HP’s, +P’s or anything other than what JMB designed the thing to shoot!

Don’t shoot any of the first 500 rounds at a target located greater than 10 meters away. (it’s a gun test not a competition) Don’t clean it, don’t field strip it, do nothing but run a jag down the barrel to make sure there is no cosmoline remaining from shipping protection.

If you don’t get the full 500 rounds done in one shoot, let it marinate in the soot and range sweat until you get back to the job at hand. OK, you can wipe the exterior down but don’t go inside yet.

That job is NOT Break-In, it’s a new gun test to decide if you’re going to send it back to the manufacturer and have them make it right.

This is the time to check for the following:
[*]Does it feed with all the mags that came with it?[*]Does it feed and slide-lock on the last round?[*]Does it feed and slide-lock with only one round loaded?[*]Does it feed and slide-lock with two rounds loaded?[*]Does it feed and slide-lock with three rounds loaded?[*]Does it feed and slide-lock with four rounds loaded?[*]Does it feed and slide-lock with five rounds loaded?[*]Does it feed and slide-lock with six rounds loaded?[*]Does it feed and slide-lock with seven rounds loaded?[*]Does it feed and slide-lock with a full mag?[*]Does it feed and slide-lock with a full mag +1?[*]Where does the brass fall?[*]Does the gun feel solid?[*]Is anything found loose? Grips? Sights? Barrel?........[*]Yes, the slide stop/release is tight. (it’s a new gun)[*]Does it fire with the thumb safety on and the grip safety engaged? (do this sans ammo)[*]Does it fire with the thumb safety off and the grip safety off? (do this sans ammo)[*]Trigger take-up?[*]Trigger brake? It should be a surprise.[*]Trigger reset?[*]Does it shoot to aim?[*]Did you take notes?

Shoot the snot out of it.

Once the "Gun Test" is successfully completed and you have found no issues requiring factory attention then, and only then can you start with your ammo testing. I bet it will feed everything including empty brass!
And this ladies and gentlemen is why cane is the man. Just saying.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 10-14-2011, 05:20 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz

And this ladies and gentlemen is why cane is the man. Just saying.
We are not worthy.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 10-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you guys I'm pretty proud of it she slept next to me last night! I can only afford to shoot 100 - 150 at a time tho do best ammo for the buck?

Old 10-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdm11chad
Thank you guys I'm pretty proud of it she slept next to me last night! I can only afford to shoot 100 - 150 at a time tho do best ammo for the buck?
Winchester white box at Walmart

~John F. Kennedy