New to the 1911
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > New to the 1911

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 04:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
xdm11chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 150
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default New to the 1911

Hey guys I just bought my first handgun now that I am 21 I picked up a new Springfield armory 1911 A-1 loaded and I'm in love could use any tips on anything cleaning ammo grips anything I'm all ears now thanks in advance!

__________________
xdm11chad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 10-14-2011, 04:34 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
xdm11chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 150
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

image-1274272693.jpg

Here it is
__________________
xdm11chad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:49 AM   #3
PCR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Washington State
Posts: 21
Default

Good for you!

__________________

Paul

PCR is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:56 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
g17frantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Centralia, MO
Posts: 1,361
Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Default

Nice. SA makes a nice 1911 indeed. I almost bought one before I got my Sig but didn't like the fact that the SA didn't have front strap checkering. The 1911 was made for the 230 grn round, my advice, keep to it. As far as cleaning goes, I use ballistol. The stuff is amazing. You can sometimes find it at your local gun store. If not, order it from midway. You can use it for the grips and everything.
Things to know about the 1911...NEVER LET THE SLIDE GO
W/O HAVING A ROUND IN THE CHAMBER! BE CAREFUL NOT TO IDIOT SCRATCH YOUR FRAME...FIGHT THE URGE TO GET THE ROTARY TOOL.... SHOOT THE LIVING SNOT OUT OF IT BEFORE YOU CHANGE ANYTHING (500-1000 rounds at least) IE:TRIGGER, SIGHTS ETC ETC. There are others but those are the main tips. Congratulations on your first 1911. Sad to say that it won't be your last. Welcome to the forum brother, she looks purdy.

__________________
GOFFA Council Member
Gun Owners For a Free America

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy
g17frantz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:03 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

Don’t do anything to, or complain about the “new” gun until you have run 500 rounds of 230 gr Ball (that’s Full Metal Jacket like WWB) ammo downrange. Don’t try HP’s, +P’s or anything other than what JMB designed the thing to shoot!

Don’t shoot any of the first 500 rounds at a target located greater than 10 meters away. (it’s a gun test not a competition) Don’t clean it, don’t field strip it, do nothing but run a jag down the barrel to make sure there is no cosmoline remaining from shipping protection.

If you don’t get the full 500 rounds done in one shoot, let it marinate in the soot and range sweat until you get back to the job at hand. OK, you can wipe the exterior down but don’t go inside yet.

That job is NOT Break-In, it’s a new gun test to decide if you’re going to send it back to the manufacturer and have them make it right.

This is the time to check for the following:

  • Does it feed with all the mags that came with it?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock on the last round?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with only one round loaded?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with two rounds loaded?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with three rounds loaded?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with four rounds loaded?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with five rounds loaded?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with six rounds loaded?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with seven rounds loaded?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with a full mag?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with a full mag +1?
  • Where does the brass fall?
  • Does the gun feel solid?
  • Is anything found loose? Grips? Sights? Barrel?........
  • Yes, the slide stop/release is tight. (it’s a new gun)
  • Does it fire with the thumb safety on and the grip safety engaged? (do this sans ammo)
  • Does it fire with the thumb safety off and the grip safety off? (do this sans ammo)
  • Trigger take-up?
  • Trigger brake? It should be a surprise.
  • Trigger reset?
  • Does it shoot to aim?
  • Did you take notes?


Shoot the snot out of it.

Once the "Gun Test" is successfully completed and you have found no issues requiring factory attention then, and only then can you start with your ammo testing. I bet it will feed everything including empty brass!
__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:04 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 563
Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

Default

Congrats on the fine purchase Its been said but shoot about 1k rounds before you change anything. You will find that certain mag brands are more reliable than others. Trial and error. Best of luck.

__________________
Alpha1Victor is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:05 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
g17frantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Centralia, MO
Posts: 1,361
Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
Don’t do anything to, or complain about the “new” gun until you have run 500 rounds of 230 gr Ball (that’s Full Metal Jacket like WWB) ammo downrange. Don’t try HP’s, +P’s or anything other than what JMB designed the thing to shoot!

Don’t shoot any of the first 500 rounds at a target located greater than 10 meters away. (it’s a gun test not a competition) Don’t clean it, don’t field strip it, do nothing but run a jag down the barrel to make sure there is no cosmoline remaining from shipping protection.

If you don’t get the full 500 rounds done in one shoot, let it marinate in the soot and range sweat until you get back to the job at hand. OK, you can wipe the exterior down but don’t go inside yet.

That job is NOT Break-In, it’s a new gun test to decide if you’re going to send it back to the manufacturer and have them make it right.

This is the time to check for the following:
[*]Does it feed with all the mags that came with it?[*]Does it feed and slide-lock on the last round?[*]Does it feed and slide-lock with only one round loaded?[*]Does it feed and slide-lock with two rounds loaded?[*]Does it feed and slide-lock with three rounds loaded?[*]Does it feed and slide-lock with four rounds loaded?[*]Does it feed and slide-lock with five rounds loaded?[*]Does it feed and slide-lock with six rounds loaded?[*]Does it feed and slide-lock with seven rounds loaded?[*]Does it feed and slide-lock with a full mag?[*]Does it feed and slide-lock with a full mag +1?[*]Where does the brass fall?[*]Does the gun feel solid?[*]Is anything found loose? Grips? Sights? Barrel?........[*]Yes, the slide stop/release is tight. (it’s a new gun)[*]Does it fire with the thumb safety on and the grip safety engaged? (do this sans ammo)[*]Does it fire with the thumb safety off and the grip safety off? (do this sans ammo)[*]Trigger take-up?[*]Trigger brake? It should be a surprise.[*]Trigger reset?[*]Does it shoot to aim?[*]Did you take notes?


Shoot the snot out of it.

Once the "Gun Test" is successfully completed and you have found no issues requiring factory attention then, and only then can you start with your ammo testing. I bet it will feed everything including empty brass!
And this ladies and gentlemen is why cane is the man. Just saying.
__________________
GOFFA Council Member
Gun Owners For a Free America

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy
g17frantz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:20 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
UrbanNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Philadelphia,Pennsylvania
Posts: 934
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz

And this ladies and gentlemen is why cane is the man. Just saying.
We are not worthy.
__________________

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

UrbanNinja is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
xdm11chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 150
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Thank you guys I'm pretty proud of it she slept next to me last night! I can only afford to shoot 100 - 150 at a time tho do best ammo for the buck?

__________________
xdm11chad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
g17frantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Centralia, MO
Posts: 1,361
Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdm11chad
Thank you guys I'm pretty proud of it she slept next to me last night! I can only afford to shoot 100 - 150 at a time tho do best ammo for the buck?
Winchester white box at Walmart
__________________
GOFFA Council Member
Gun Owners For a Free America

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy
g17frantz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
SA 1911 loaded vs. SA 1911 mc operator EMTchad 1911 Forum 5 09-16-2011 06:30 AM
Iím not clear on what makes a 1911, a 1911. Vincine 1911 Forum 5 08-16-2011 07:14 PM
Dumb? What makes 1911 a 1911? Poink88 1911 Forum 14 08-11-2010 05:48 PM
My WWI 1911 nutsfor1911 1911 Forum 9 08-28-2008 12:58 AM