Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Need Some Insights and Advice on Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 06:20 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

After you get your 1911, you'll eventually find out what you really like and want and what you don't care for and don't need. You'll also figure out some stuff that may even annoy you.

Semi custom guns like the Wilsons, Baers and Browns etc. represent a bunch of custom touches. But as you gain experience with your own 1911, you will discern what you care about. Eventually, you may want to have a pistol built to your specifications, or have a pistol modified to suit you.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-21-2009, 08:20 AM   #12

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I've owned both and both are fine 1911s. With all else being equal I would choose the Springer simply because it does not have the firing pin block safety. I can't remember this second whether the Kimber FPB operates off the trigger or the grip safety - but in either event it's "linkage" that adds nothing to the platform.

I prefer simplicity and guns without the FPB have less moving parts and are easier to tinker with and tune. The Springer will have a "lock" but it's located in the mainspring housing and is barely noticeable. As I generally change out the MSH anyway, it's a moot point for me.

Many folks use the term "series 70" for guns that don't have an FPB and "series 80" for guns that do have one. This isn't technically accurate as these are Colt specific terms but they tend to be used generically for 1911s. If you do some research, you'll see very quickly that series 70 guns are more "desired" than series 80...

Old 09-21-2009, 11:17 PM   #13

The Kimber firing pin safety is actualy an earlier version prior Colts series 80 FPS, Colt changed the original design enough to patent their own version. Kimber just went with the original old design, not sure what year it was invented, but I hear it's been around a while.

I agree that simpler is better, I had to replace a few parts on my series 80 Colts and didn't like the idea of lots of little extra parts to wear out, break and fail.

However I would go with the Kimber, I have been so overwhelmingly impressed with the Kimbers my shooting buddies have and like the fact that they are made in the U.S. vs Springers being Brazilian, that Kimber would be my first choice, but I do think the Springer "loaded" looks like a good gun too.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #14

Likes Given: 2

Default Springfield

The Srpingfield "Loaded" is USA made. Their entry level 1911's come from Brazil. It does pay to ask about country of origin. It seems like all the majors have some of their line come from off shore.

I own a SA 1911 Loaded in 9mm. I really love the gun. It is reliable and dead nuts accurate. I like the adjustable sight but, at my age, would prefer to have some night sight dots in it.

That said Kimber makes a fine pistol too. Only negatives have been around the rust problem of late.

I do not think you will be unhappy with either. Go with you gut.

If you are new to shooting, join the NRA when you buy the pistol. You get a discount and the range earns a commission and the NRA gets one more voice to fight fascism.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:19 PM   #15

Sorry to disagree with you but all Springer frames & slides are forged by IMBEL in Brazil. Whether "Brazil" is stamped on your gun is dependent on whether 50% of the assembly work is done in the US or Brazil. I have a Mil-Spec with an NM serial number and it does not say "Brazil" anywhere on the gun - but it still began life in Brazil. A good link for Springer info:

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=49574

I guess I don't understand what the big deal is about where a gun is made. I personally could care less where it was made as long as it performs as advertised and gives me good value for MY $$$.

Do y'all buy sub-standard and overpriced Detroit built vehicles just to be patriotic? Is subsidizing bloated and corrupt unions the American thing to do?

If more American companies want my business, build quality products at competitive prices. And really, in todays global conglomerate economy, is any major company really wholly American?

Last edited by NGIB; 09-22-2009 at 07:24 PM.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:45 PM   #16

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
And really, in todays global conglomerate economy, is any major company really wholly American?
NiiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhtttttttHHHHAAAAAWWWWKKKKKKKKKK !

Old 09-22-2009, 07:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
NiiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhtttttttHHHHAAAAAWWWWKKKKKKKKKK !
Left myself wide open on that one didn't I?

However Mr Moderator, now that we know for absolute surety that a Nighthawk is substandard to an HK - perhaps you'll not be so bold as to interject your baseless opinions...

Old 09-22-2009, 07:54 PM   #18

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Left myself wide open on that one didn't I?

However Mr Moderator, now that we know for absolute surety that a Nighthawk is substandard to an HK - perhaps you'll not be so bold as to interject your baseless opinions...
Probably not going to happen...........

NNNIIIGGGHHHTTTHHHAAAWWWKKK!!!

Your jealousy is dripping into a puddle on the floor near your computer tower.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:20 PM   #19

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Nighthawk = Over compensation of the highest degree........

Old 09-22-2009, 10:35 PM   #20

I don't buy "sub standard, over priced" Detroit vehicles, I buy high quality, fair priced U.S. made vehicles.

Springfield's higher end guns are assembled in the U.S. from Brazillian (see anti-American govt.) made parts buy U.S. assemblers and 'smiths who do a much better job of fit and finish than the Brazillian laborer/assemblers on the lower end models.

Kimber's rust problem was a short lived issue several years ago, but everytime someone new gets an old stock or used Kimber it becomes a new issue all over again.

Last edited by mr1911; 09-23-2009 at 12:04 AM.