Need Sight Comparison & Advice
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Need Sight Comparison & Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 03:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default Need Sight Comparison & Advice

I have been looking online and I can't seem to find anywhere that gives a side-by-side comparison of available sights for a 1911. I'm about to buy my first 1911 and I've heard some sights are attached in a permanent manner, which doesn't sound very upgrade or option friendly. There's Novak, Heinie, Low Pro, night sights (tru-glo, etc)... I wish I could see these compared online somewhere. I'm an OTR truck driver and I plan on purchasing my 1911 and having it waiting for me at home... I don't really have much of a chance to go somewhere to see them first hand. I'm debating between a few Taurus and RIA 1911s and one of them even says it comes with Heinie sights on the main description but says it has Novaks in the "Features" tab Need help on this please. Thanks!

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 16

The Heinie straight eight sights on the PT1911 were discontinued in 2008 the sight that come on the PT1911 now are the Novak three dot sight, you can get the Heinie's night sight direct form Heinie for like $150, just look them up and you will be able to see their profile.

some of the GI model come with staked front sights that require some mechanical aptitude to be replaced but doable, but most modern offerings come with dove tail slots

Last edited by cuba; 07-30-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #3

Liked 429 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I've learned that there are several different dovetail slots for sights and it's confusing to me to try to figure whether a specific aftermarket sight will fit my pistol. I found a good gunsmith and I tell him the sights I want and he buys them and installs them. Saves me a lot of time and confusion.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #4

Heinie, Novak, and Hi Viz make PT1911 specific dove tails on their sights, that should drop right in with minimal fitting.

Last edited by cuba; 07-30-2012 at 06:31 PM.
ryevick Likes This 
Old 07-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 249 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 101

I really like adj sights that have been milled into the slide - low profile. I can adj my sights for any ammo, bullet weight or range I'm dealing with.

New sights can be adjusted w set screw vs traditional punch n hammer. I have no experience with them but I love the idea of keeping the hammer at home.

Let me add to your confusion - white outline rear w red ramp front is tradition, straight black rear w hi viz green front is on both of my HKs.

Note: HK sights are .250 or higher to see over silencers, which is valid if you think you can get one.

God loves you, everything is made for 1911s. In fact, you are killed w over choice.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #6

Novak is the only sight manufacturer that is making a Taurus specific elevation adjustable Tijicon night sight, even though you will not find them on there web site they are available, through a telecom order.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

Old 08-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba View Post
Novak is the only sight manufacturer that is making a Taurus specific elevation adjustable Tijicon night sight, even though you will not find them on there web site they are available, through a telecom order.

I suppose before I buy (hopefully this weekend) I will have to call Taurus because their website is not very clear on what type sights are on a specific weapon as I linked above and if you look at the one I mentioned above and the one I really like the best (I think, kinda pricey but nice) they obviously have different sights on them... look at the photos... different shapes.

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Old 08-01-2012, 01:18 AM   #8

The one with the black grips is an older photo and it show the PT1911 with the Heinie sights, the PT1911 with the bull head grips (that you like best) shows the Novak three dot sights that the current models are being fitted with.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:46 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba View Post
The one with the black grips is an older photo and it show the PT1911 with the Heinie sights, the PT1911 with the bull head grips (that you like best) shows the Novak three dot sights that the current models are being fitted with.

I'm wondering if Bud's ever put's this on sale... with the pistol + sights + holster + ? is putting me around $1000 +/- $100... I also noticed Bud's states they come with straight eights not 3 dot.

Last edited by ryevick; 08-01-2012 at 02:52 AM.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:36 AM   #10

The specifications on that ad will supersede the generic description of the PT1911 in that ad, look at the bottom section of the page, like I informed you the Heinie straight eight sight were discontinued back in 2008, unless some one still has an older model in their back room, you probably will not be able to get that series of PT1911.