Need a question answered thanks!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Need a question answered thanks!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need a question answered thanks!

Accidently let the hammer drop when I had the slide out on my Ultra Stainless Raptor II. In the book it is highlighted do not do that. Cleaned and put the gun back together and it appears fine. Could there be any damage I don't know about? Thanks for replies. Jerry

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2010, 11:11 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Basically the same as dry firing an AR when you have the upper and lower apart. One or two times, not a problem. Regular occurence? Big Problem.

Chances are probably in the 99% that you are good to go. Just don't do it again.

Why?

The hammer is designed to bang the firing pin and then come to rest against the slide. By dry firing the weapon against the frame, you are asking the frame to do something that it was never intended to do, which is stop the forward momentum of the hammer.

Not a big deal, but don't make a habit of it.

JD

Old 01-29-2010, 11:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Basically the same as dry firing an AR when you have the upper and lower apart. One or two times, not a problem. Regular occurence? Big Problem.

Chances are probably in the 99% that you are good to go. Just don't do it again.

Why?

The hammer is designed to bang the firing pin and then come to rest against the slide. By dry firing the weapon against the frame, you are asking the frame to do something that it was never intended to do, which is stop the forward momentum of the hammer.

Not a big deal, but don't make a habit of it.

JD
Dillenger, Thanks a bunch for taking time to explain this to me. Will NOT let it happen again, Jerry

Old 01-30-2010, 12:05 AM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandorealtor View Post
Dillenger, Thanks a bunch for taking time to explain this to me. Will NOT let it happen again, Jerry
Happens to everyone bro. The very first AR I held, I broke it down into Upper and Lower, cocked the hammer back and in front of my gunsmith, let the hammer slam forward right into the aluminum of the lower receiver.

His response: "Don't EVER do that again" and went on to explain exactly HOW I had offended the Gods. LOL

Just part of the learning curve. I would say you are probably good to go and have nothing more to worry about. John Browning was no dummy. I am SURE he foresaw this event unfolding and took precautions.

JD

Old 01-30-2010, 12:19 AM   #5

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

+1 JD, "Once is not enough."

DON'T make it a habit!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Newest Threads