Need opinions on current crop of 1911.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Need opinions on current crop of 1911.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 10:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Need opinions on current crop of 1911.

Used to, if you wanted a 1911, you got a Colt. My first one was a Colt Gold Cup that my father gave me when I was in high school. Since then I have owned several, made by Colt, Para Ordance, Auto Ordance, Springfield Armory, AMT, and Kimber.

I was surprised to find that I really didn't care for the Kimber too much, and traded it away. My favorite 1911 is one I built up on a Springfield Armory frame, and I've always had good luck with Springfields. There was a time when the most accurate 1911 out of the box with no mods was a Para. But . . .

. . . because I have several 1911's, I sometimes get asked for recommendations, and now that there are so many makes to choose from that I have not experience with, what are the good, quality 1911's out there now. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive, but one that is reliable and reasonably accurate (at least capable of a 3 inch group at 25 yards) out of the box.

As stated, I've had good luck with Springfield Armory, but mine is now about 20 years old, and the last one I bought and later sold would now be about five years old. I have a Colt, but it's a Series 80 (I know, I know, but I got it from an individual and the price was right); I have an AMT Hardballer that I got a couple of years ago, and after a visit to the gunsmith for some tweaking it's a very nice gun, and has the distinction of being the first all stainless 1911. I have a .38 super that a gunsmith friend of mine built up. And a Para P-10, which is several years old now.

So nothing from the current crop of 1911s from companies like Ruger, Remington, Taurus, etc. If I had, say, under $1000, what is the best out of the box .45 out there now?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2013, 02:17 AM   #2

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I think in the sub-$1000 price category you really have to give Sig's lineup some serious consideration. They are amazingly well built and you get a ton of features and extras that some the bigger names will skimp on, such as front strap checkering which is a huge bonus in my book. You get the choice of their unique slide design or they also offer a traditional model that has the original slide design and internal extractor. The Traditional Match Elite will put you at the top of the $900s and you get a target 1911 with adjustable sights, front strap checkering, and a nice reverse two-tone scheme. But they also have a lot of other great models.

Then you also have to consider the STI guns, the Spartan and the Trojan. The Trojan is right there at the $1000 mark, but it's a gun that's made completely in Texas from a company that really knows their stuff and has a great reputation. The Spartan is quite a bit cheaper and is essentially an Armscor gun with some STI internals. A lot of people have great things to say about them. I'm on the fence with the Spartan.

You can also consider the Springfield Armory Loaded and Range Officer models. I'm not a fan of Springfield, but those two models are definitely contenders in the sub-$1000 category. Loaded models give you the option of either target or combat sights as well as stainless or parkerized finish. The Range Officer is strictly parkerized though.

Those would really be the only ones I would be considering in that price range. I'll give an honorable mention to the Ruger SR1911. It doesn't make my list, but it's still worth mentioning. They are hard to come by and selling for a ridiculous premium. To me, you're paying for the name as nothing else really stands out on the gun to me.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #3

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Good info, thanks.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #4

Liked 125 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 63

As for the STI Spartan, I'm not on the fence with that gun. My Spartan 5 9mm is has been a fun gun to shoot and had no problems in 500 round in the 7 months I've had it.

Then there is my American Classic (MetroArms) Gov't Model that I've owned for a little over a year now and have shot +/- 1,000 rounds and it too has not had one problem at all.

Additionally, I have a Colt 80's series (1991) and nothing to apologize for or explain...it's a Colt and shoots like a Colt.

I'm not sure I could find any guns that perform better than these three , just more expensive ones.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #5

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I've got nothing but good things to say about my $699 Remington R1

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-24-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
ET1

Springfield Range Officer... I bought one for $750 when I couldn't locate a Ruger sr1911. The RO is built on their race gun frame/slide setup (according to SA) and has a really good fit & finish. It comes with the basics with the idea that the owner will add what he wants without having already paid extra for something he didn't want in the first place. It's got basic adjustable black range sights, no front strap checkering, only rear cocking serrations on the slide, basic bolo wood grips & not much else. The money is in the guts of the gun that if decked out would be over $1000 easily. If I wanted a full sized 1911 for carry purposes I might choose a Ruger sr1911 instead of this gun, but I wanted a great performing target 1911 that I could customize to my specifications and this one fit the bill at a good price.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

the Remington R1's, MetroArms American Classic's, RIA's, STI Spartan's and the list goes on.

Springfield Armory, Colt , Dan Wesson, Sig and so on.

this day and age there are just a multitude of 1911's out there that are fantastic pistols.

another good avenue is always a very nice used 1911. i have seen some very nice ones used at decent prices.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #8

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Now is not the time to add to your 1911 collection.

Keep researching and in 6 months there will be a flood of panic bought guns on the used market.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
People Like This 
Old 02-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
Then you also have to consider the STI guns, the Spartan and the Trojan. The Trojan is right there at the $1000 mark, but it's a gun that's made completely in Texas from a company that really knows their stuff and has a great reputation. The Spartan is quite a bit cheaper and is essentially an Armscor gun with some STI internals. A lot of people have great things to say about them. I'm on the fence with the Spartan.
Yeah, STI makes such great guns at any price point. I own two including the Edge and the tolerances are so tight but it racks like the slide is on ball bearings! No rattling at all. The trigger is awesome right out of the box.

The Trojan is phenomenal for a sub $1000 traditional 1911. I've shot one and it's incredible. It's solid, silky smooth action, awesome trigger pull.

I don't like to call the Spartan an Armscor because by all accounts it is deserving of having the STI logo on it. I've never shot one but have yet to see a bad review from a reliable source.

The Spartan is more like what Maverick 88 is to Mossberg where some of the parts are not in-house in order to keep the costs down but the majority of the gun is STI and final assembly done by STI.

I heard great things about RIA as well and they're cranking out some interesting 1911's but I think STI's will keep their return on investment better as it has a higher profile name.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #10

Liked 931 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 680

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Now is not the time to add to your 1911 collection.

Keep researching and in 6 months there will be a flood of panic bought guns on the used market.
Yea I agree but a new gun day sure is fun no matter when you get it. LOLOL

USMC 74-78

canebrake Likes This