Need help finding the right 1911
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Need help finding the right 1911

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jesse17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,471
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Need help finding the right 1911

OK guys, I'm starting to shop for my first 1911. Yes, I'm dead set on a 1911, please I don't want to here about Glocks, or XDs, etc. It will be my primary CCW but weight/size isn't the biggest issue because I'll be installing a lock box in my vehicles, and switching out to a LCP at work which is the only time I'm worried about my ability to conceal a larger pistol.

I've been making a list of the features I'm looking for, and have some questions about them also. No 'Desired Features' are set in stone, so please feel free to change my mind on any of them, and please point out other features/aspects that I should be looking at. I'm totally new to the 1911 world, so any comments about them are welcomed.



My Desired Features...

  1. .45 acp
  2. Stainless Frame and Slide (might consider an aluminum frame if it dropped the price enough)
  3. Full length guide rod
  4. w/bushing (I like the looks better, but would go bushing-less if someone told me what the advantage is.)
  5. ambidextrous safety (not sure if I really need this...IF I have to shoot it off hand, I've got bigger problems than learning to manipulate the safety with my index finger, not to mention I'll probably have to draw it with my right hand regardless, but they do look better with the ambidextrous )
  6. front and rear slide serrations (or just rear if I have to settle )
  7. Not sure what you call it, but I want the entire mag. to fit in the mag well, not protrude out of the grip.
  8. adjustable trigger
I also like the idea of the rounded edges that Kimber has on one line of their 1911s (can't remember which line right now)

What is the deal with the Recoil Spring measurements. Is this how much force it takes to rack the slide? What's the advantage/disadvantage to lighter or stiffer recoil springs?

Thanks for the knowledge that's about to come my way.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmszbi View Post
"Be polite to everyone you meet but have a plan to kill them".
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000
Jesse17 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 03-26-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jpyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sewell,NJ
Posts: 4,815
Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
OK guys, I'm starting to shop for my first 1911. Yes, I'm dead set on a 1911, please I don't want to here about Glocks, or XDs, etc. It will be my primary CCW but weight/size isn't the biggest issue because I'll be installing a lock box in my vehicles, and switching out to a LCP at work which is the only time I'm worried about my ability to conceal a larger pistol.

I've been making a list of the features I'm looking for, and have some questions about them also. No 'Desired Features' are set in stone, so please feel free to change my mind on any of them, and please point out other features/aspects that I should be looking at. I'm totally new to the 1911 world, so any comments about them are welcomed.





My Desired Features...
  1. .45 acp
  2. Stainless Frame and Slide (might consider an aluminum frame if it dropped the price enough)
  3. Full length guide rod
  4. w/bushing (I like the looks better, but would go bushing-less if someone told me what the advantage is.)
  5. ambidextrous safety (not sure if I really need this...IF I have to shoot it off hand, I've got bigger problems than learning to manipulate the safety with my index finger, not to mention I'll probably have to draw it with my right hand regardless, but they do look better with the ambidextrous )
  6. front and rear slide serrations (or just rear if I have to settle )
  7. Not sure what you call it, but I want the entire mag. to fit in the mag well, not protrude out of the grip.
  8. adjustable trigger
I also like the idea of the rounded edges that Kimber has on one line of their 1911s (can't remember which line right now)

What is the deal with the Recoil Spring measurements. Is this how much force it takes to rack the slide? What's the advantage/disadvantage to lighter or stiffer recoil springs?

Thanks for the knowledge that's about to come my way.
Good start...you should get a lot of good recommendations...one thing you might want to mention though is whether you are looking at a full size, Commander or an Agent.
__________________

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Jpyle is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jesse17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,471
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Thanks Jpyle, I totally forgot that. I'm thinking a full size 5", but I need to hold some. I hate to go to my LGS though, I never actually buy any from them, just waste their time to look at guns I get cheaper from out of town.

That brings up another question...how well do the aluminum frame, SS slide combinations 'balance' in your hand? I would think the all steel would be a better balance?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmszbi View Post
"Be polite to everyone you meet but have a plan to kill them".
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000
Jesse17 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mesinge2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,535
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

We also need to know your budget restrictions

__________________
www.pistol-talk.com

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!
mesinge2 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 56
Default

I just picked up a brand new springer 1911 loaded. i love it. my first 1911 and no regrets....i think the only thing that doesn't fit the criteria you listed is the adjustable trigger. which is something i DONT know. i would guess a trip to the gunsmith, can tweak the trigger.

also i should say mine is the stainless steel version. i bought new for 850. but i've seen em used for a little cheaper.

__________________
marshall is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,152
Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Two of the items on your list are more hype than substance: the adjustable trigger and the full length guide rod. The adjustable trigger is merely a trigger that has a small allen screw inside so you can limit overtravel adjustment - which really isn't a big deal. A FLGR is something invented to part you from some of your money as they are not necessary. They don't hurt anything but they also don't improve anything either, and the two-piece models make the gun more difficult to field strip.

I'm not a huge fan of ambi safeties either but then again I'm right handed. Nearly all 5 inch (government size) guns will have a bushed barrel, on shorter barreled guns it's less common as many use bull barrels. Much will depend on how much you want to spend and whether you're looking for new or used. This beater Taurus actually fits your list exactly and I paid $420 for it used. The mag is a flush fit but I keep base pads on mine as it helps to protect the mag if you do drops & reloads...

__________________
NGIB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jesse17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,471
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesinge2 View Post
We also need to know your budget restrictions
Ideally under $1,500, but every one I like so far has been $2,700 and up

I might go as high as $2,000 if I absolutely have to.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmszbi View Post
"Be polite to everyone you meet but have a plan to kill them".
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000
Jesse17 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,152
Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
Ideally under $1,500, but every one I like so far has been $2,700 and up

I might go as high as $2,000 if I absolutely have to.
The 3 production guns I'd really consider are a Dan Wesson, a Springer TRP, or a Colt Gold Cup in that 1000 to 1500 range. I've owned all 3 at one time or another and they are all great guns. Here's the entry level DW at Bud's (a Valor is $300 more):

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_82/products_id/62348
__________________

Last edited by NGIB; 03-26-2011 at 04:27 PM.
NGIB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

$2K will buy you a very nice 1911. At that price, you won't need to make any after purchase mods.

(Except grips and Tripp Cobra Mags!)

Start here:

ozarkguns.com

__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 03-26-2011 at 04:31 PM.
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:30 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mesinge2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,535
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
Ideally under $1,500, but every one I like so far has been $2,700 and up

I might go as high as $2,000 if I absolutely have to.
Well, with that budget I would go Kimber or Colt for around $1,000 and then some Chip McCormick Powermags or Wilson ELM mags. I have found no factory mags that are worth using. I don't like Springfields only because of the guide rod. It has to be disassembled with the use of an allen head.

I am not a fan of ambi safeties either; I have large hands and they routinely get in the way of a proper grip.

Sorry, I don't own a Dan Wesson and I can't recommend what I haven't shot.
Here are two of mine that I would recommend:

Colt XSE Combat Elite



Kimber Stainless TLE II
__________________
www.pistol-talk.com

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Last edited by mesinge2; 03-26-2011 at 04:44 PM.
mesinge2 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Finding a red dot!! wickedins4nity Optics & Mounts 3 03-05-2011 11:02 PM
Need help finding out what my gun is ???? coonhunter07 General Shotgun Discussion 4 12-29-2010 07:45 PM
need help finding a part nightlights Optics & Mounts 11 02-20-2009 07:48 PM
Help finding right MAG. PLZ! HELP Toxinx Ammunition & Reloading 2 02-11-2009 11:42 PM
Help finding a shotgun Toxinx General Shotgun Discussion 7 02-11-2009 02:46 AM