Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Need help choosing a 1911 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/need-help-choosing-1911-a-83375/)

texaswoodworker 02-04-2013 07:57 PM

Need help choosing a 1911
 
I finally turn 21 in August, so I plan on getting a 1911. I have looked at a few different brands and models, and would like some advice on which one I should get.

I plan on using it as a CCW, and as a range gun, so it needs to be reliable, and able to handle thousands of rounds with ease. I am pretty much open to any features, but it must me a full sized 1911 and chambered in 45 ACP. My budget is about $600.

Here's what I've looked at so far.

Rock Island Armory 1911A1-$420.00


I have read/heard a lot of good things about these. I read that they are reliable, accurate, and the sights and trigger (5 lb) are pretty decent. The finish is nothing special, but it would be a carry gun, so having a beautiful finish is not a big concern. I did read about a problem with the ambidextrous safety though. It works great, but is sharp and can cut into the web of your hand after prolonged use.
If I got this one, I would be able to afford to customize some things if I decided it needed it.

Springfield Armory 1911 GI-$550

I looked into this one, but I'm not completely sure about it. Some of the reviews I read said they have some issues with reliability due to a weak recoil spring. That's a cheap/easy fix though. I read the sights are small, and the trigger is short. I could change out the trigger easy enough if I had to, but the sights are another story if I decide I don't like them.

High Standard 1911 GI-$420-$500

I have seen mixed review on this one. Some say they're fantastic, others say they are unreliable.

American Classic II 1911-$530

I really don't know much about these. I have heard they are good guns, and they are one of the few 1911s in this price range that are actually blued. (I like blued over parkerized).

Para Ordnance GI Expert-$550

I don't know much about these either. They look like they are good quality 1911s though, and they come with 3 dot sights.

Anyone know of any other 1911s I should look into? Right now, I'm really leaning towards that RIA or American Classic II.

kytowboater 02-04-2013 08:08 PM

I know if you do have any issues out if RIA, there customer service was spectacular. Paid shipping to an from, insured the shipment. Fixed in the time stated. Great people to deal with.

danf_fl 02-04-2013 08:18 PM

If the key word is "mods", then I would look at the SA.

I have not tried to mod a RIA. The only aftermarket parts I put on one is a set up grips (and I did not replace their screws).

I am not aware of the recoil spring issue. All 1911s have to have their recoil spring replaced at some time, so to me, that is not a big deal.

Para is okay, but they have the Series 80 system. Some like that, but I can do without it.

The others I have no experience with.

texaswoodworker 02-04-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kytowboater (Post 1123854)
I know if you do have any issues out if RIA, there customer service was spectacular. Paid shipping to an from, insured the shipment. Fixed in the time stated. Great people to deal with.

Awesome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1123861)
If the key word is "mods", then I would look at the SA.

I have not tried to mod a RIA. The only aftermarket parts I put on one is a set up grips (and I did not replace their screws).

I am not aware of the recoil spring issue. All 1911s have to have their recoil spring replaced at some time, so to me, that is not a big deal.

Para is okay, but they have the Series 80 system. Some like that, but I can do without it.

The others I have no experience with.

I don't plan on really modifying a lot on the gun. It really just depends on how I like it. If nothing bothers me, it will probably stay stock. If I don't like the trigger or safety, I'll just change them out.

Thanks for the info. :) What's the Series 80 system?

kytowboater 02-04-2013 08:43 PM

Only "mods" on my RIA were a trigger and set of Houge grips. I like the Springfield option but I prefer the beaver tail saftey.

fordracing 02-04-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
I finally turn 21 in August, so I plan on getting a 1911. I have looked at a few different brands and models, and would like some advice on which one I should get.

I plan on using it as a CCW, and as a range gun, so it needs to be reliable, and able to handle thousands of rounds with ease. I am pretty much open to any features, but it must me a full sized 1911 and chambered in 45 ACP. My budget is about $600.

Here's what I've looked at so far.

Rock Island Armory 1911A1-$420.00

I have read/heard a lot of good things about these. I read that they are reliable, accurate, and the sights and trigger (5 lb) are pretty decent. The finish is nothing special, but it would be a carry gun, so having a beautiful finish is not a big concern. I did read about a problem with the ambidextrous safety though. It works great, but is sharp and can cut into the web of your hand after prolonged use.
If I got this one, I would be able to afford to customize some things if I decided it needed it.

Springfield Armory 1911 GI-$550

I looked into this one, but I'm not completely sure about it. Some of the reviews I read said they have some issues with reliability due to a weak recoil spring. That's a cheap/easy fix though. I read the sights are small, and the trigger is short. I could change out the trigger easy enough if I had to, but the sights are another story if I decide I don't like them.

High Standard 1911 GI-$420-$500

I have seen mixed review on this one. Some say they're fantastic, others say they are unreliable.

American Classic II 1911-$530

I really don't know much about these. I have heard they are good guns, and they are one of the few 1911s in this price range that are actually blued. (I like blued over parkerized).

Para Ordnance GI Expert-$550

I don't know much about these either. They look like they are good quality 1911s though, and they come with 3 dot sights.

Anyone know of any other 1911s I should look into? Right now, I'm really leaning towards that RIA or American Classic II.

My first and only 1911 is a S&W E series. Couldn't be happier. Might be more than your budget allows, ($889) but made in America, and guaranteed forever. Accurate and trigger is great. If you are planning on keeping it for a while, I would maybe go rent one and see if you like it. Hell, go rent them all and see which you prefer. My buddy owns a kimber, and that shoots nice as well. Big bucks though

danf_fl 02-04-2013 08:57 PM

The series 80 add more parts to the firing mechanism.
http://www.ehow.com/list_7362522_differences-series-80-series-1911.html

karateguy28 02-04-2013 08:58 PM

i would go with the springfield. great starter/intro into the 1911. good luck!

Overkill0084 02-04-2013 09:05 PM

CC? None of those, if given a choice.
Since you're obviously price sensitive, I'd steer you toward a STI Spartan IV and recommend you save up a just a few more dollars. Low to Mid $600s street price. and you get a Commander sized gun from a very good US company. Sure, not a 5" GI model, but whats 3/4" between friends? The difference isn't that great. They are essentially Rock Island/ARMSCOR frames & slides built up with STI internals. A no-lose situation if you ask me.
http://www.stiguns.com/the-sti-spartan-iv/
http://www.gunsamerica.com/902420834/Guns/Pistols/STI-Pistols/STI_Spartan_IV_45_acp_Commander_1911_NE.htm

Oh BTW, for the same money you can get the Spartan III, which is a 3" Officer Style. Sure not exactly what you asked for, but still, great deal.
http://www.stiguns.com/the-sti-spartan-iii/
http://www.gunsamerica.com/936800454/Guns/Pistols/STI-Pistols/STI_Spartan_III_45_acp_Officer_.htm
You do want to conceal after all, right?

DallasShooter 02-04-2013 11:30 PM

I own the MetroArms American Classic in .45. Excellent in accuracy and shot great out of the box. Very reliable. A great shooter and range gun.

I have a STI Spartan IV and RIA GI - both in 9mm and both required some tuning which is pretty common in 9mm models, but both are excellent and very well made and great range guns. I would expect the .45 models to be great guns from the start, but both have outstanding customer service if needed.

I know a lot of people carry full-sized 1911s, but frankly they are just too large and heavy for my taste for CCW so I don't carry them. I prefer a commander sized CCO for carry - much lighter - but I realize that is probably beyond your price range. If you are going to carry full-sized, invest in a really good large thick belt!


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:54 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.