Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Need help!! Cant find what im looking for.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Dan Wesson is the best production 1911 period, end of story.

With that being said, you can take any old cheap pistol have it bobbed by a gunsmith to get a custom look in a budget price. Like this American Classic that I just sold. $500 gun.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #12

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong

They are everything you want it to be, all bar stock steel internals. Absolutely no MIM. Hand fitted together to A semi-custom quality. Checkering in all the right places, and I believe they are the look you want.

The best production 1911's you can buy.

Here's my VBOB.

Just look up reviews on them,they speak for themselves.
That's about what I'm wanting. Except I want that charcoal smokey blued finish.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-Q
First have you ever shot a bobtail gun? While it may look cool or feel good in a store it might not be for you.

I own a bobtail Ed Brown Kobra Carry and I do not like shooting the bobtail. It causes the gun to twist up and to the right slightly with each shot. I far prefer any one of my three 1911's with a standard grip.

I'm not sure where the Kimber hate comes from but it seems like maybe it's a lot of people spouting out things they've heard with no real experience. I own three Kimbers and I've never had a single problem. I also have a few friends with them and I haven't seen a malfunction or heard a single complaint from any one of them.
No I haven't shot one. But this will not be a range gun at all. Just occasional concealed carry and a safe queen. So I don't think it will matter much.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #14

Liked 223 Times on 139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke-again124

That's about what I'm wanting. Except I want that charcoal smokey blued finish.
Well that'll be hard to find in a Dan Wesson,they finish their guns in either bead blasted stainless or their duty coat,which is a ceramic type finish that is molecularly bonded to the stainless steel,which is ultra hard. There's a video out there somewhere of a Dan Wesson rep taking a file to one of their duty coat guns,and then buffing the scratch's back out. It worked to since its bonded to the metal.

You could get a stainless gun,and then re bead blast it to get a darker matte grey color out of it. I believe Olympus has played around with bead blasting a bit,but I'm not completely sure if he's the guy. I'll double check.

I love the BOB on mine,I didnt notice a difference when shooting it at all. I have big hands if that makes a difference.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #15

Wht is the difference between the vbob and cbob? Anything major? I can't figure it out.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Wht is the difference between the vbob and cbob? Anything major? I can't figure it out.
CBOB = Classic Bobtail
VBOB = Valor Bobtail

Dan Wesson discontinued the Classic model everywhere except California and upgraded to the Valor model. Most agree that the Classic models were the absolutely best gun for the money when they were being made. When the Valors came out, their price point was significantly higher than the previous Classic models. About the only difference I can tell is that the Classics used cast frames and the Valors now have forged frames.

Not sure what you mean by "charcoal" blue. The only finish I know that uses charcoal is color case hardening. Traditional bluing uses hot salts. Either way, Kimber or Dan Wesson will not offer that kind of finish. You need carbon steel to be blued. You cannot blue stainless steel. If you are wanting a particular bluing, then your best shot is buying a Colt or something and having the gun sent to a gunsmith for a bobtail job and a refinish in whatever kind of bluing or finish you want.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #17

Quote:
The vbob is their valor model in a bobtail commander format, the valor is their flagship model and has all the nicest parts.

Some things the VBOB has over the Cbob are

Nicer grips, VZ g10 grips over wood on the cbob

Has heinie straight 8 ledge night sights,over regular 3 dot night sights

Checkering on both front strap and MSH

Vbob's tend to get a little more attention to fitting

All tool steel internals over lesser internals of pre 2010 cbob's

Nicer trigger

That being said a CBOB is nothing to turn your nose up at,still a great gun. The VBOB and Valor are their flagship models and tend to get the best parts and more attention than other models,not saying other Dan Wessons are anything but superb.

If you can get a CBOB for alot less than a VBOB than I would snag it up and not look back. But if the price is approaching that of a VBOB I would just pony up the extra money and get the VBOB

Just my opinion

Old 01-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #18

Quote:

The vbob is their valor model in a bobtail commander format, the valor is their flagship model and has all the nicest parts.

Nicer trigger

That being said a CBOB is nothing to turn your nose up at,still a great gun. The VBOB and Valor are their flagship models and tend to get the best parts and more attention than other models,not saying other Dan Wessons are anything but superb.

If you can get a CBOB for alot less than a VBOB than I would snag it up and not look back. But if the price is approaching that of a VBOB I would just pony up the extra money and get the VBOB

Just my opinion
Gotcha. Makes good sense. Thanks

Old 01-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #19

Quote:

Nicer trigger

Just my opinion
Just some things that may be up for debate:
- I think most would consider checkered rosewood grips an upgrade over G10

- my CBOB came with Trijicon night sights. Some prefer Trijicon over Heinie

- CBOBs have front strap checkering like the VBOB, but do have a smooth MSH. I swapped mine out for a checkered for just a small amount of money.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus

Just some things that may be up for debate:
- I think most would consider checkered rosewood grips an upgrade over G10

- my CBOB came with Trijicon night sights. Some prefer Trijicon over Heinie

- CBOBs have front strap checkering like the VBOB, but do have a smooth MSH. I swapped mine out for a checkered for just a small amount of money.
Absolutely right, I should have mentioned that aside from the supposed better attention to detail the VBOB gets,the other things could deffinantly be a matter of personal preference on which is better.

I carry my Vbob everyday,and like the rugged g10 grips that gone on it. I may swap out for other VZ grips with thumb recess though. I will admit the checkered rosewood or blackwood grips does look damn better than g10. But like I said I CCW mine and wouldn't want to hurt such pretty grips.

I was skeptical about the heinie sights but they grew on me very well after just the first couple range sessions,some people never pick them up. The ledge feature works great too,you can lock the slide back easily using them on a sturdy gun belt,not exactly a deal breaker though lol,if I only have one arm I'm I'm over my head.