Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Need advice on Springfield sights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 12:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need advice on Springfield sights

I have a full size Springfield 1911 that came with the rear sight that was adjustable only for windage. I replaced it with a Millet unit,now it shoots high even lowered all the way. Do i need to replace the front with a taller sight or replace the Millet with something with a lower profile? What is involved with a front sight replacement on this pistol? Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2009, 02:36 PM   #2

Likes Given: 2

Default Sighting

I am not familiar with the Millett sight you reference. I will however throw in a plug for the SA tech support guys. When I first purchased my SA 1911 I had a number of questions. I sent them an email one evening, contact info from their web site, and they got back to me with a detailed response the next day. If nothing else they seem to be passionate about their product. It's worth a try.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #3

Liked 85 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 25

If you want to keep your present rear sight, then you will have to have the front sight blade replaced with a taller blade. Your front sight blade should be a staked-in sight and would have to be replaced by a gunsmith.

Jim..............

Old 08-16-2009, 03:24 PM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Yes, if it shoots high you'll need a taller front sight. What front sight to get will depend on whether it's dovetailed or staked on. Springer uses their own proprietary dovetail cut and I know Novaks has them and I think Dawson Precision does as well. If it's a staked on sight it will depend on the style of tenon, be it wide or narrow. Tells us more about the gun and we can help more...

Old 08-16-2009, 03:58 PM   #5

I would like to keep the front sight,there arent many smiths around here. What i would prefer is to find a suitable replacement for the millett. something maybe low profile that would work with the factory front. Thanks for the earlier response. I put the millett on myself and want to find something that will get the gun zeroed that i could do myself. Maybe this is too tall of an order,i dunno. Eye

Old 08-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
If you want to keep your present rear sight, then you will have to have the front sight blade replaced with a taller blade. Your front sight blade should be a staked-in sight and would have to be replaced by a gunsmith.

Jim..............
I DONT want to keep the Millett,i dont have the knowledge or equipment to replace a front sight. I would rather replace the rear again with something that will work with the factory front. Maybe im asking for too much,i dunno. Eye
tn08152009260-001.jpg  

Old 08-16-2009, 04:51 PM   #7

The picture helped. That Millet looks like it was designed for a "relieved" slide - which is why it's way to tall. I bought a low profile adjustable sight from Dawson Precision that I put on one I had and it worked great with the factory front sight...

Old 08-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
The picture helped. That Millet looks like it was designed for a "relieved" slide - which is why it's way to tall. I bought a low profile adjustable sight from Dawson Precision that I put on one I had and it worked great with the factory front sight...
Thanks for the info. I found another sight on Midwayusa. Would you give me an opinoin on this one? Maybe i did the url thing right,im new to all this. Eye

Old 08-16-2009, 06:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by badeye View Post
Thanks for the info. I found another sight on Midwayusa. Would you give me an opinoin on this one? Maybe i did the url thing right,im new to all this. Eye
Don't see a link...

Old 08-16-2009, 06:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Don't see a link...
MidwayUSA - Champion Adjustable Combat Carry Rear Sight 1911 Springfield Trophy Match Steel Blue