Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Need advice on Springfield sights (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/need-advice-springfield-sights-16861/)

badeye 08-13-2009 01:45 AM

Need advice on Springfield sights

I have a full size Springfield 1911 that came with the rear sight that was adjustable only for windage. I replaced it with a Millet unit,now it shoots high even lowered all the way. Do i need to replace the front with a taller sight or replace the Millet with something with a lower profile? What is involved with a front sight replacement on this pistol? Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Nomad 1 08-16-2009 03:36 PM

Sighting

I am not familiar with the Millett sight you reference. I will however throw in a plug for the SA tech support guys. When I first purchased my SA 1911 I had a number of questions. I sent them an email one evening, contact info from their web site, and they got back to me with a detailed response the next day. If nothing else they seem to be passionate about their product. It's worth a try.

masterPsmith 08-16-2009 04:21 PM

If you want to keep your present rear sight, then you will have to have the front sight blade replaced with a taller blade. Your front sight blade should be a staked-in sight and would have to be replaced by a gunsmith.

Jim..............

NGIB 08-16-2009 04:24 PM

Yes, if it shoots high you'll need a taller front sight. What front sight to get will depend on whether it's dovetailed or staked on. Springer uses their own proprietary dovetail cut and I know Novaks has them and I think Dawson Precision does as well. If it's a staked on sight it will depend on the style of tenon, be it wide or narrow. Tells us more about the gun and we can help more...

badeye 08-16-2009 04:58 PM

I would like to keep the front sight,there arent many smiths around here. What i would prefer is to find a suitable replacement for the millett. something maybe low profile that would work with the factory front. Thanks for the earlier response. I put the millett on myself and want to find something that will get the gun zeroed that i could do myself. Maybe this is too tall of an order,i dunno. Eye

badeye 08-16-2009 05:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by masterPsmith (Post 145459)
If you want to keep your present rear sight, then you will have to have the front sight blade replaced with a taller blade. Your front sight blade should be a staked-in sight and would have to be replaced by a gunsmith.

Jim..............

I DONT want to keep the Millett,i dont have the knowledge or equipment to replace a front sight. I would rather replace the rear again with something that will work with the factory front. Maybe im asking for too much,i dunno. Eye

NGIB 08-16-2009 05:51 PM

The picture helped. That Millet looks like it was designed for a "relieved" slide - which is why it's way to tall. I bought a low profile adjustable sight from Dawson Precision that I put on one I had and it worked great with the factory front sight...

badeye 08-16-2009 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 145497)
The picture helped. That Millet looks like it was designed for a "relieved" slide - which is why it's way to tall. I bought a low profile adjustable sight from Dawson Precision that I put on one I had and it worked great with the factory front sight...

Thanks for the info. I found another sight on Midwayusa. Would you give me an opinoin on this one? Maybe i did the url thing right,im new to all this. Eye

NGIB 08-16-2009 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badeye (Post 145554)
Thanks for the info. I found another sight on Midwayusa. Would you give me an opinoin on this one? Maybe i did the url thing right,im new to all this. Eye

Don't see a link...

badeye 08-16-2009 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 145560)
Don't see a link...

MidwayUSA - Champion Adjustable Combat Carry Rear Sight 1911 Springfield Trophy Match Steel Blue