Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Need advice for .45ACP Purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzDoc View Post
About to buy a full size 1911 .45ACP. I'm down to three choices - please offer your candid opinion, pros and cons, regarding these options, and thanks in advance:

1) Ed Brown Special Forces, 5 inch

2) Kimber Gold Match II

3) Colt Gold Cup National Match

Thanks.
The Ed Brown is a semi-custom gun
Your other two choices are production guns.

Apples and Oranges.
If you have the funds (money not an option) a semi-custom is a step ahead of any production gun (regardless of the brand name of any of them).

Ed Brown - is the clear choice based on your list.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #22

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartwatkins View Post
The Ed Brown is a semi-custom gun
Your other two choices are production guns.

Apples and Oranges.
If you have the funds (money not an option) a semi-custom is a step ahead of any production gun (regardless of the brand name of any of them).

Ed Brown - is the clear choice based on your list.
Agreed, the Brown is a fine piece.........however, it's pricey. If you have that kind of money go for the brown......especially because, it sounds like you're looking for a range pistol based on your options. I do love those Colts though and you would probably spend half the money on that and it a fine pistol.
That being said, unless it's an older Gold Cup, it has one clear disadvantage to the Brown........that infernal firing pin block!

Kimber........I would advise you to pass, IMO, they are overpriced, and everyone I have known that owns one has had an issue with it.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #23
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Likes Given: 19

Thanks, guys - well at the end of the day I have a Dan Wesson Valor en route to me. Who'da thunk it?

-
Perfecting my gear...the skill's next.
Mark

Old 11-16-2012, 02:57 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2579 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzDoc View Post
Thanks, guys - well at the end of the day I have a Dan Wesson Valor en route to me. Who'da thunk it?
And here I was going to recommend DW as an alternative to your list of choices. I have 2 DWs. You will be happy with your choice.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 11-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084
And here I was going to recommend DW as an alternative to your list of choices. I have 2 DWs. You will be happy with your choice.
I heard about Dan Wesson, I was on you tube looking him up there was not a great about of videos on him and the ones they do have are not the greatest in the world

Old 11-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strix

I heard about Dan Wesson, I was on you tube looking him up there was not a great about of videos on him and the ones they do have are not the greatest in the world
How are para guns ?

Old 11-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #27

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strix

How are para guns ?
Very well made

Old 11-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #28

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I would pass on the Ed Brown and buy the Colt and a Sig 1911 or even the Kimber. Kimbers one year warranty is kinda crappy IMO, stand behind your product, especially for that price. For the price you would pay for a Ed Brown you can have several other fine handguns with money left over or two fine handguns.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #29
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 250 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Kimber generally has a reputation of being overpriced, nothing special, and with some of the ****tiest customer service ever.

Some speak of the "break in" period. Fans will say "oh it's so tight and precision crafted you have to break it in!" Survivors say "screw that, my right hand had better run like a top right out of the box."

That said, I have never shot or owned one, nor do I care to, and the reason why is exactly as I've stated already- they aren't special and they're regarded as overpriced for a reason. I can get what I want, similar, identical, or even better, for cheaper, the same price, or very little more, and be able to trust it right out of the box, have a better warranty, and be treated like an actual VALUED customer by their customer service reps, with almost any other brand.

Ed Brown- damn I wish I had that kind of money.

Colt- all others are just copies.

I own a copy. Look at springfield armory. Mine has hiccuped three times, only when I was feeding it some dangerously out of spec hand loads, which I only did just to see what it would take to choke it.
How can you have all those negative opinions if you have never owned or even shot one let alone dealt with their CS. Second and third hand tales are not very helpfully. "I have a buddy that....", or , "My cousin says....", are not what I rely on.

Also being a self confessed "test pilot", and shooting "dangerously out of spec. " ammo does not make me feel like your opinion is one to rely on .

I have two Kimbers and a Les Baer. I have dealt with CS of both companies and have excellent feelings for both.

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

JazzDoc,
Great choice out of left field considering your initial list. I was about to suggest looking at the STI line considering your price range. I hadn't thought of the DW.
I work with a lady with a DW Valor and have shot it a couple of times (it is good to work at a range). Fit & finish are terrific, warranty is great and more importantly, it is a real nice shooting 1911 right out of the box and just gets better with use.

Good luck, you are going to love it!

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.