Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Need advice for .45ACP Purchase (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/need-advice-45acp-purchase-76234/)

JazzDoc 11-12-2012 06:49 PM

Need advice for .45ACP Purchase

About to buy a full size 1911 .45ACP. I'm down to three choices - please offer your candid opinion, pros and cons, regarding these options, and thanks in advance:

1) Ed Brown Special Forces, 5 inch

2) Kimber Gold Match II

3) Colt Gold Cup National Match

Thanks.

DoyleTheDog 11-12-2012 07:15 PM

Colt.

Cheaper than the Ed Brown and better than the Kimber. Just my opinion.

strix 11-12-2012 07:17 PM

Out of that pick if money is no option I would go with the Ed brown then kimber, I'm having a hard time myself making my mind up between a Ed brown / Wilson or nighthawk

magnumman 11-12-2012 07:44 PM

IMO it's 6 of one, Half dozen of the other... And 6 of the other. They are all good guns, better that anything I have. Just decide what features you can't live without.

Overkill0084 11-12-2012 08:06 PM

In order of preference:
Ed Brown - Premium quality, premium price. Worth it, if you're in a tax bracket that allows you to indulge in such things.
Colt - It's a Colt. Easy default choice. When in doubt...
Kimber - Contrary to the opinions of many, I don't see them as special. I see them as equivalent (give or take) of Springfield armory, but without the great warranty. Not bad, just not special.

JazzDoc 11-12-2012 09:00 PM

Thanks for weighing in, guys! Really appreciated.

trip286 11-12-2012 09:39 PM

Kimber generally has a reputation of being overpriced, nothing special, and with some of the ****tiest customer service ever.

Some speak of the "break in" period. Fans will say "oh it's so tight and precision crafted you have to break it in!" Survivors say "screw that, my right hand had better run like a top right out of the box."

That said, I have never shot or owned one, nor do I care to, and the reason why is exactly as I've stated already- they aren't special and they're regarded as overpriced for a reason. I can get what I want, similar, identical, or even better, for cheaper, the same price, or very little more, and be able to trust it right out of the box, have a better warranty, and be treated like an actual VALUED customer by their customer service reps, with almost any other brand.

Ed Brown- damn I wish I had that kind of money.

Colt- all others are just copies.

I own a copy. Look at springfield armory. Mine has hiccuped three times, only when I was feeding it some dangerously out of spec hand loads, which I only did just to see what it would take to choke it.

tacticalfun 11-12-2012 10:34 PM

I owned one kimber. Never again.

Dearhunter 11-12-2012 10:39 PM

Of the three you have picked, I say COLT GOLD CUP. I have one and it has never let me down. Won a lot of matches with it.

The next 1911 in line for me is the Rock Island MATCH .45. What a great shooting 1911.
The match version is hard to find, but if you find one, you will not be disappointed.

racer_x 11-12-2012 10:58 PM

Your #1 OP, Ed Brown, but that kinda money id look at some Wilson combats too