Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Need Advice (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/need-advice-33276/)

tacman 10-20-2010 01:30 AM

Need Advice

I want to build a 1911 and it will be my first time, need some help with frame and slide pics, I have looked at caspian, fusion, etc. I think both are very nice but dont know for sure due to my lack of knowledge of the 1911 pistol.

Dillinger 10-20-2010 01:32 AM

What is your machining and gunsmithing experience??

Because the 1911 build is not your "entry level" project.

JD

tacman 10-20-2010 01:47 AM

Well not much of either but can I learn it or have some of that done and assemble it ?

Dillinger 10-20-2010 02:10 AM

The problem is that a lot of the parts are not "drop in" and require fitting.

Building a basic 1911 is probably a 4 or 5 on the scale.

Building a very good 1911, from scratch, is a LOT higher.

Yes, you can have stuff done, at twice the price it will end up costing you to just buy a quality one from the get go.

The 1911 just isn't a beginner build kit.

JD

Drrhein 10-20-2010 03:06 AM

Not being one of the 1911 greybeards, I have little to add other than that having recently returned to the 1911 world I followed some very sage advice posted on this very forum: Figure out what you need by shooting many rounds, I've just completed my third thousand on my entry level 1911 and I'm glad I didn't spend a couple thousand on a custom model because I'm still not completely sure what I need or want (other than a beavertail, I keep getting bit!) I'm not the brightest bulb around, but even I know building one from scratch, without experience, is probably not a good idea.

danf_fl 10-20-2010 07:56 AM

I learned about the m1911a1 the hard way. I thought I would save money on my first 1911 buy buying a kit and assembling.

You will not save a dime, and will probably put more money into one than if you bought an inexpensive 1911.

Besides needing the references of specs, replacement parts (as all different parts may not "play" together even if in a kit), replacement parts that are now out of spec because of "dremeltoolitis", you will also need to know how and why the pistol functions.

I am not trying to discourage you, but to inform you of some of the problems that can arise.

Good luck

NGIB 10-20-2010 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacman (Post 371140)
I want to build a 1911 and it will be my first time, need some help with frame and slide pics, I have looked at caspian, fusion, etc. I think both are very nice but dont know for sure due to my lack of knowledge of the 1911 pistol.

I'll echo JD and Dan here - not a good plan, nor will it be inexpensive. The best advice I can give is to buy a good forged frame entry level 1911 and shoot the hell out of it. Learn the platform and what works and doesn't work for you.

Just to buy all the tools, jigs, and stones necessary for a build costs mucho dinero and is only a good investment if you intend to build much more than one...

tacman 10-20-2010 02:30 PM

Well it looks like I will take all of the advise from all of you and buy a 1911 and go from there. I do like the springfeild armory any comments. Thank you guys for all the advise how about RIA

gadrooning 10-20-2010 03:22 PM

I would suggest getting a hold of two books.

The Colt .45 Automatic and the US M1911/M1911A1 Pistols by Jerry Kuhnhausen

These books are easy to read, detailed, and have many illustrated picture. Great Books.

Drrhein 10-20-2010 04:08 PM

RIA as entry level 1911?

1 Attachment(s)
To respond as to whether or not an RIA is a reasonable choice I can only speak for myself, But I think Yes is the answer. I've attached a photo of my RIA 1911 which I now have a couple thousand rounds through without a malfunction of any kind with anything I put in it. I've made one upgrade (although some might call it a downgrade :D ) and that's installing Hogue rubber grips with finger grips. This helps me keep a good grip without tiring although it does change the look a bit by making the grip appear fatter. That's one of the things mentioned in the thread about learning, over the course of many rounds, exactly what works for you.

Enjoy!