In need of a 1911 compensator - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

In need of a 1911 compensator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig
Im looking for a punisher style compensator, can anyone point me in the right direction. Got a 1911 sig sauer tact ops with a threaded barrel
Why would you want to screw with a good thing?
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 02-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #12

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I agree putting a Comp on a 1911 is a poor investment. This is a .45 Win Mag Big 1911 pistol. The Comp was shipped with these guns they are a bushing style . I have fired this big .45 with and with out the Comp. The Comp only makes a gun that will not fit a holster.

In need of a 1911 compensator - 1911 Forum

Old 02-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #13

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
The Comp only makes a gun that will not fit a holster.
That's what I thought.
Although, if speed shooting guns they often (not always) sport a compensator. But all the speed shooting guns i see have 2 additional
parts to them if they have a compensator.
- Flash guard
- Raised sights (usually red dot)
I'm guessing it does throw the flash right into your FOV, thus negating any on-target speed you may have gained from the compensation. (i have no experience to back up my theory)

See razorcat:
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Old 02-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
IMO, putting a comp on a .45 caliber handgun is a waste of good money that could be spent on ammo.
Thought i heard somewhere that the .45 does not have enough velocity or gas pressure to utilize a compensator making them purely aesthetic? Think it was on here somewhere..

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Old 02-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #15

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieKiller83 View Post
Thought i heard somewhere that the .45 does not have enough velocity or gas pressure to utilize a compensator making them purely aesthetic? Think it was on here somewhere..
Actually, a good compensator works just fine on a .45. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a good bushing comp. Compensators work by redirecting the pressure driving the bullet. This is a function of both venting and baffling. The baffles must be close fit to the bullet diameter so that they can strip the gas away from the bullet and then direct it through the vent ports. The hole in a bushing style comp must be large enough to allow the barrel to pass through it as the action cycles, therefor there is no effective baffling.

As to the pressure issue with regard to comps on a .45, it is true that they are not as effective as on higher pressure guns, such as the .38 Super, but they do indeed make a difference that is easily seen and felt. Using lightweight bullets and driving them to near max pressure, makes the comp work even better.

If you want a comp that actually works, have your barrel threaded and a good comp installed. If all you want is a gun that looks cool, have your barrel threaded and a good comp installed. Not only do the bushing comp not really do anything, they also look pretty bad, in my opinion. Every time I see one at the range, it reminds me of the guy that put the fiberglass hood scoop on his 1986 Camaro, but didn't bother to fill the scoop with anything to actually increase performance. They are generally a poor fit, and just look cheap.

JW

Old 02-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloves View Post
That's what I thought.
Although, if speed shooting guns they often (not always) sport a compensator. But all the speed shooting guns i see have 2 additional
parts to them if they have a compensator.
- Flash guard
- Raised sights (usually red dot)
I'm guessing it does throw the flash right into your FOV, thus negating any on-target speed you may have gained from the compensation. (i have no experience to back up my theory)

See razorcat:
unless you use one of these....
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 02-16-2012, 12:47 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubDriver451

Actually, a good compensator works just fine on a .45. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a good bushing comp. Compensators work by redirecting the pressure driving the bullet. This is a function of both venting and baffling. The baffles must be close fit to the bullet diameter so that they can strip the gas away from the bullet and then direct it through the vent ports. The hole in a bushing style comp must be large enough to allow the barrel to pass through it as the action cycles, therefor there is no effective baffling.

As to the pressure issue with regard to comps on a .45, it is true that they are not as effective as on higher pressure guns, such as the .38 Super, but they do indeed make a difference that is easily seen and felt. Using lightweight bullets and driving them to near max pressure, makes the comp work even better.

If you want a comp that actually works, have your barrel threaded and a good comp installed. If all you want is a gun that looks cool, have your barrel threaded and a good comp installed. Not only do the bushing comp not really do anything, they also look pretty bad, in my opinion. Every time I see one at the range, it reminds me of the guy that put the fiberglass hood scoop on his 1986 Camaro, but didn't bother to fill the scoop with anything to actually increase performance. They are generally a poor fit, and just look cheap.

JW
Solid info thanks bud!

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Old 04-10-2012, 05:25 AM   #18

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessRegard

Crud, wasn't paying attention. Sorry fellas.

King's gun works. Here is a link to the catalog page with the barrel and comp on it:
http://www.kingsgunworks.com/newcatalog/page11.html

Here is a link to the pricing list:
http://www.kingsgunworks.com/newcatalog/pricelist2_1099.html

It looks like they run $360.00. It is a full barrel, comp, and recoil assembly.

Hope this helps.
They been out of buisness for ten years

Old 04-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Clark custom guns make a 460 Rowland conversion kit that comes packaged with a compensator. Uses the same mags and has speed to match a 44. Runs about $300. You might want to reload though cause the ammo ain't cheap.

Guns of Brixton- The Clash