My wife did it again... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > My wife did it again...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
My wife, with input from the fine folks at the LGS has started to develop very good taste in 1911's. A couple years back she got me a SA Trophy match for Father's day. I've had many a lovely range session with it. Anyway, yesterday was our 15th aniversary. I'd previously asked her for suggestions as to what sort of anniversary gift she might like (She has recently taken a liking to my Ruger MK3.) She tells me, "oh don't worry about it, we just went to Hawaii." So I sent flowers.
So what does she get me?
A Dan Wesson CCO. Holy Crap! She sandbagged me!
I'm happier than a pig in poo. I hope to get it to the range this afternoon after work. I'll try to come up with some sort of range report ASAP.
Anyone got any suggestions for a good IWB holster? (RH, 1530-1600 position)
Good man and congrats for marrying a good one! I have one of those at home. When I showed her an article about the Walther PPS before it came out and told her I'd love to get one she called the local LGS and told them to put aside the first one that came in and just surprised me with it.

Awesome 1911, you got TWO keepers now.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #12

Liked 1420 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

You won't do better than a Tommy Theis holster for IWB carry.

Theisholsters.com Custom IWB Holsters

Get the horsehide.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
You won't do better than a Tommy Theis holster for IWB carry.

Theisholsters.com Custom IWB Holsters

Get the horsehide.
Interesting.
His holsters look surprisingly like the Crossbreed Super Tucks.

SuperTuck Deluxe | Crossbreed Holsters - Super Tuck Deluxe

Be Well.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli

Good man and congrats for marrying a good one! I have one of those at home. When I showed her an article about the Walther PPS before it came out and told her I'd love to get one she called the local LGS and told them to put aside the first one that came in and just surprised me with it.

Awesome 1911, you got TWO keepers now.
How are you Wambli? You have a good wife too. Subliminal messaging worked with my chic once when I got a nice fishing reel, I'm trying to make it work again and get a new sig 1911 or a new SA 1911.

A good wife is hard too find, I don't expect cooking but one that buys guns for you is a find of a life time. Congratulations to both of you gentlemen on your wives, you truly have trophy wives.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilage66 View Post
Interesting.
His holsters look surprisingly like the Crossbreed Super Tucks.

SuperTuck Deluxe | Crossbreed Holsters - Super Tuck Deluxe
I have both. My Xbreed Super Tuck was not securely holding my BHP (failed the up-side-down shake test) and to save $ I got it in cowhide. I need horsehide here in south Florida. It came with the standard metal clips which was ruining my carry belt. (belt cost more than holster!) This Xbreed cost me $69.75 + $8.95 shipping = $78.70

I started to look for an alternitive. Goju suggested Tommy Theis holsters and the rest, as they say, is history.

The Theis holster I ordered in horsehide with Kydex jclips was $65 including shipping! It is belt friendly and passes the up-side-down shake test!

A Supertuck in horsehide and Kydex jclips is $94.75 + $8.95 shipping = $103.70

The fit and finish of the Theis holster is far and above the Xbreed.

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 08-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #16

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznZOhAn View Post
How are you Wambli? You have a good wife too. Subliminal messaging worked with my chic once when I got a nice fishing reel, I'm trying to make it work again and get a new sig 1911 or a new SA 1911.

A good wife is hard too find, I don't expect cooking but one that buys guns for you is a find of a life time. Congratulations to both of you gentlemen on your wives, you truly have trophy wives.
Doing well my friend. Keep working on your girl. If you got her to buy yo a good fishing reel seems like you are off to a good start. It took the first few years to get mine to get it but I explained to her that my first one asked a fatal question and it was all down hill from there. The question was "what do you need all those guns for?" This one learned the key to her survival swiftly...

Old 08-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli

Doing well my friend. Keep working on your girl. If you got her to buy yo a good fishing reel seems like you are off to a good start. It took the first few years to get mine to get it but I explained to her that my first one asked a fatal question and it was all down hill from there. The question was "what do you need all those guns for?" This one learned the key to her survival swiftly...
I've had girls like your first, and they are my exes. This just knows leave me and my guns alone and I won't look for a replacement. I got a feeling that she'll get me one soon, cause the yesterday I was talking about SAs and she was actually listening for the first time. I'm gonna point in the direction of the GI or Champion Operator. I make more than she does now, so she'll probably get the GI for me. If shoot with me and not drop my guns, I'll get her a sig 9mm

Old 08-21-2011, 05:55 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2968 Times on 1482 Posts
Likes Given: 330

First, Thanks everyone, for all the kind words.

Cane,
The Theis holsters look like a good product for the money. Forgive my ignorance: What is the advantage of horsehide over cowhide?

I took it to the range yesterday and ran around a hundred or so rounds through it. The trigger is very nice. While it's looks like a 1911, it shoots like nothing I've dealt with before. Not in a bad way, just different. The recoil feel actually reminded me of my XD40SC, sharp but probably easier to handle than than the XDSC. It shot to point of aim with my reloads (230 gr Cast & plated w/ 4.6 gr of bullseye & 6.0 of Unique, respectively). I didn't test for accuracy, but when I did my job, the shot's were easily kept in the black of a 6" bull at 7 yds. The only issue of concern arose when I had a couple of double feeds. They both occurred with the same mag. I had one more occurrence with that one mag. It was starting to annoy me. I continued monkeying around with that one mag and it stopped having issues when I took extra pains to ensure that each round was set as far back as possible against the back wall of the magazine. From that point forward everything was flawless. Maybe it's just a bit fussier than the other one.
The OEM mags provided are Check Mate brand. I'm not actually familiar with them. Good? Bad? Indifferent? They have welded floor plates. Is it possible to remove the follower & spring for cleaning without hosing the whole thing?
Also, I was going to order some more mags for it. Since there is no extra room at the bottom of the mag well, will there be interference issues if I were to order magazines with the rubber base pad? The OEM mags are similar in price to any number of other premium brands. I was probably going to order Wilson Combat. They work great in the SA, I figured go with what worked so far.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 08-21-2011, 06:16 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Wait until she does what I did to Scubie and turns one into a "gun puzzle."

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 08-22-2011, 01:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Cane,
The Theis holsters look like a good product for the money. Forgive my ignorance: What is the advantage of horsehide over cowhide?
Horsehide is an extremely dense, non-porous leather. Down here in south Florida with the heat and humidity, cowhide soaks up the moisture and makes the closeness of the IWB carry uncomfortable. The horsehide resists moisture and doesn't become a sponge. The U.S. Navy SEAL TEAMS use horsehide rigs for extended salt water operations. Cowhide will not stand up this kind of use.

I want to make sure you understand this only applies to the Kydex/leather hybrid type holsters. When leather is to encompass the gun and require blocking/boning to provide retention, cowhide is the choice, hands down.

Quote:
The OEM mags provided are Check Mate brand. I'm not actually familiar with them. Good? Bad? Indifferent? They have welded floor plates. Is it possible to remove the follower & spring for cleaning without hosing the whole thing?
Check Mate's are a middle of the road magazine. Quality is better than most OEM supplied mags and we hear few complaints about them here on the FTF. IMHO, they make good range mags, but I wouldn't use them for carry.

Quote:
Also, I was going to order some more mags for it. Since there is no extra room at the bottom of the mag well, will there be interference issues if I were to order magazines with the rubber base pad? The OEM mags are similar in price to any number of other premium brands. I was probably going to order Wilson Combat. They work great in the SA, I figured go with what worked so far.
Overkill0084, do your self a favor and call Aaron (877)837-9445 at Tripp Research.

Tripp Research Inc. 1911 Magazines

Tell him canebrake sent you. Explain that you have a Dan Wesson CCO and are looking for the best 1911 magazine on the planet. Ask him about rubber and metal mag bases. Don't stop until all your questions are answered

I will make you the same offer I have to many FTF members; buy one Gen II Cobra Mag for your 1911 and do an evaluation. If you don't agree that the Cobra Mag is twice the mag as the Wilson (or any other mag) I will buy it from you including the shipping to and from you!

Yes, they are that good! And I bet you will be buying more Cobra Mags after this test!

In the photo below you will see the Wilson Combat EMT p/n 500B (Black) .45 ACP, 8 RD. ETM Tactical Magazine, Price: $36.95 (p/n 500 stainless $34.95)
sandwiched by two Tripp Research Cobra Mags p/n 8R-45-RG .45 ACP, 8 RD. Magazine, Price: $32.95 (photo shows mags with optional alloy base pad)

Notice not only the quality of the welds but the fit and finish of the final product.

Notice the fluid stampings of the Tripp mag on the left and right. The .45 case head sits square against the back wall of the Tripp mag, the Wilson is rounded and forces the round forward when it presents for stripping. AND, the Tripp mag feed lips are CNC finished.

This photo shows the slide stop interface. The Tripp mag on the bottom uses a hybrid follower with a metal interface where the Wilson on top uses a poly follower interface. The Wilson shows witness-marks where the slide stop engages the mag when empty. This mag is six month old and speaks volumes as to this critical area.

As a retired engineer, this is how my mind works while looking at new products. When a company makes guns and mags that go into them, the mag becomes an area where they can cut production costs. When the company only makes mags, their entire R&D budget is used on mags. Think about that!

If your 1911 mags have poly followers be sure to check them each time you load. Should this area wear out, your slide will not lock open when empty!

- orangello
texaswoodworker Likes This