Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   My Turn To Ask Opinions- (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/my-turn-ask-opinions-105005/)

HOSSFLY 03-12-2014 02:16 PM

My Turn To Ask Opinions-

Thinking about trading for a blued Kimber ultra carr˙ II - Have thought I wanted a compact 1911 for years but prices have kept me from buying-- Pros? - Cons ?- It comes with nite sights & 2 extra WC mags-
I'll only have about $525 invested (due to my trading skills :D)
Only pic I have right now--

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...psf9704be2.jpg

SSGN_Doc 03-12-2014 02:24 PM

If it is from someone you know, and it has a good track record for reliability, then I'd go for it. I have some personal dislikes of the Series II Kimbers. If you didn't like it you could still get your investment back plus some.

Since you may ask what my personal dislikes are I'll go ahead and put them out there now. One is, that for whatever reason, it seems like their "stainless" barrels liek to show up even brand new in the box with rust spots. Doesn't make me feel great about carerying one in humid places. the other stems from doing my own 1911 work. I don't like the extra parts for the firing pin safety.

Personal observations and opinions. Take them with a grain of salt. At $525 I'd still be tempted to buy one just to flip it for something I like better.

HOSSFLY 03-12-2014 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1528594)
If it is from someone you know, and it has a good track record for reliability, then I'd go for it. I have some personal dislikes of the Series II Kimbers. If you didn't like it you could still get your investment back plus some.

Since you may ask what my personal dislikes are I'll go ahead and put them out there now. One is, that for whatever reason, it seems like their "stainless" barrels liek to show up even brand new in the box with rust spots. Doesn't make me feel great about carerying one in humid places. the other stems from doing my own 1911 work. I don't like the extra parts for the firing pin safety.

Personal observations and opinions. Take them with a grain of salt. At $525 I'd still be tempted to buy one just to flip it for something I like better.

Great minds think alike :)

JonM 03-12-2014 04:17 PM

Not a kimber fan due mainly to their very spotty cs. But they have a following so if your looking to do a turn and burn and its a great price for something you can use for trade fodder...

HOSSFLY 03-12-2014 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1528652)
Not a kimber fan due mainly to their very spotty cs. But they have a following so if your looking to do a turn and burn and its a great price for something you can use for trade fodder...

That's my biggest concern- not a fan- have to think more- it is gud fodder but so is what I have to trade ;)

Mongo 03-12-2014 04:24 PM

My friend Skip bought a new Rock Island compact 1911 for about $450. It was accurate and functioned perfectly right out of the box.

Gatoragn 03-12-2014 04:48 PM

I have a Kimber Pro Carry, it has never failed to go bang, fed every ammo I loaded into it.

But I do not like the bushingless barrel system. If the pistol you are looking at has a bushingless barrel, check it out closely before purchasing.

danf_fl 03-12-2014 05:30 PM

It is not like that is the only 1911 in the stable.
Go ahead. If you don't like it, trade it.

But if you do trade it, look at the other NY manufacturer (CZ-USA Dan Wesson).

Doc3402 03-12-2014 05:33 PM

Kimber has the potential to be a very good handgun purchase at their present day price point. Unfortunately, their customer service stinks, as does their 1 year limited warranty. When you get one that works it's a great firearm. When you don't it's a good paperweight, because based on personal experience Kimber can't fix it.

Axxe55 03-12-2014 09:42 PM

if it's over a year old the warranty period is long gone. if you know the person selling and it has been a good pistol for them, more than likely it would work great for you as well. are they selling because it's having problems and Kimber couldn't rectify the problem?

as mentioned, in the very least, it would make for good trading material, especially at that price.

good luck with whatever you decide to do.:D