my newest pistol...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > my newest pistol...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 05:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default my newest pistol...

a used springfield champion!

-just picked it up from a local dealer last thursday and i am pretty excited about it... it is the first more "bare-bones" GI style 1911 i have owned and i am looking to make it into a decent project pistol.

-now i dont have anything close to a decent digital camera and my cellphone cam doesnt come anything close to doing this pistol justice, so i will just try and describe it... it isnt the newest edition of springfield 1911 champion pistols at all. it is an all steel frame (not LW at all). it has an arched mainspring housing, the short military style trigger, and the military style red wood grips. it also has the stort mil-spec thumb safety and the short colt style grip safety. it also has a traditional bushing style barrel and single spring (no bull barrel and dual-capture spring here). really the only part of it that isnt traditional military 1911, is the commander style hammer instead of the spurred model (which is awesome because i dont like getting holes punched in my hand).

-i have no idea if this is an actual production model from issues past or if it is something that someone put together to this specific set up. nonetheless... it is a beautiful piece of craftmanship and i am proud to have found it. i cant wait to sling some lead through it real soon.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

An Excellent Choice! Looking forward to a range report...

JD

Old 01-21-2009, 04:39 PM   #3

yessir! hopefully soon...

-i will say this... i am torn between doing a bunch of work on this baby and leaving it exactly as it is... having taken it down to clean and inspect it, i think it could make a pretty decent carry piece (although fairly heavy). if i decide to go that direction i need to do a lot to it. beavertail grip safety with bump, ambi-safety (im a lefty shooter), get some of the edges ground smooth, i would want a C&S smooth face trigger put in probably, and most likely some slimmer grips and a flat MSH to make it carry a little thinner. i would probably put a faster ultralite hammer on her as well...

-cool as it may be to have her built up exactly as i would like her, i sort of like the charm of the basic style, minus the standard safety and sharp edges. so who knows?

-yeesh... the dilemmas we face!

Old 01-22-2009, 02:36 AM   #4

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Shoot it!

Any gun I get new or new to me gets at minimum 500 rds down range looking for issues.

You may find things you like about the ole' girl just as she is, and you will find anything that must be fixed.

You saw something positive causing you to purchase this gun. Give her the chance to prove that you were right.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-22-2009, 03:44 AM   #5

yes exactly... i went to the store that day specifically to find either an SKS or a decent budget 1911 that i can just sling lead through without having to worry about spending thousands of dollars on. lo and behold i ran across this great deal. paid 460 for her... regardless, i am already happy besides the fact that i havent had the time to wring her in yet...

Old 01-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Congratulations! Post a range report and some pics.

I wouldn't worry about modifying the gun right now, shoot it for a while and see how she runs. If there's something wrong with 1911's it's that there are just too many aftermarket parts and options for them.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:09 PM   #7

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Enjoy it!

Enjoy it! and we'll waiting the pics any soon!

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 01-22-2009, 11:32 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm with Canebrake on this one, shoot it for a while as is. And congratulations.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-23-2009, 08:09 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I had a stainless Champion for years and loved it. Never had any problems with it at all. Only mod I can remember doing to it was a new beavertail grip safety and an STI style carbon trigger. Congrats and good luck with her!
Sarge

Exotic wood .45 grip maker
www.thefinergrain.com

Old 01-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #10

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge43 View Post
I had a stainless Champion for years and loved it. Never had any problems with it at all. Only mod I can remember doing to it was a new beavertail grip safety and an STI style carbon trigger. Congrats and good luck with her!
Sarge
Hey Sarge, how about posting some of your eye candy here on this site?

I'm sure if you start a thread in Vendor Display (maybe titled, grip eye candy or Exotic Wood Grips) everyone here would enjoy your artisanship.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello