My new babies arrived - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > My new babies arrived

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thanks Cane,
I usaly only take one gun to the range, but I am lucky to have an indoor shooting range a couple miles from the house.
By the time I get done with the Colts, they will look better than the Ruger. I ordered some good old snakeskin from Mel for the GC.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #12

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrola View Post
Thanks Cane,
I usaly only take one gun to the range, but I am lucky to have an indoor shooting range a couple miles from the house.
By the time I get done with the Colts, they will look better than the Ruger. I ordered some good old snakeskin from Mel for the GC.
Sorry if I came off as stereotyping you as a noobie. It's a mod's vocational hazard.

Copper head maybe?

This I'm looking forward to!

Oh yea, your first impression of the Ruger too.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Nice pistols!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Oh yea, your first impression of the Ruger too.
I'm here for this part, really.

Ummm, could you point out the "visual inspection port" for me please?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 06-16-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:13 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Very nice indeed!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Old 06-29-2011, 11:36 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am so very gelous of that Ruger been to or called every gun shop and sporting goods store in the houston area and am always a day late all have been sold and no one know when there gettin anymore

Dave

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"
Denis Diderot

Old 06-30-2011, 01:49 AM   #16

Likes Given: 2

Bummer! I thought for sure that this thread was going to be about 16 year old polynesian girls......... Oh well!

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 06-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by David26 View Post
I am so very gelous of that Ruger been to or called every gun shop and sporting goods store in the houston area and am always a day late all have been sold and no one know when there gettin anymore
I know what you are going through, I had the same problem. I finaly went to guns america and did a search and found one close. Had it shipped and that was that. Payed about 30.00 more than I should have, but you do what you have to.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I likes me some Colts! You are going to love that GC! And great taste in the XSE. Let me know when you want to convert it to a 460 Rowland. (I can save you a lot of time, trouble and gray hair!)

That Ruger is pretty but then it should be when compared to the Colts. The Ruger uses a cast frame vs the Colts forged and milled unit.

I'm of mixed minds with this decision Ruger made to keep costs down. This is apparent with the established price point and should kick the Remington's R1! azz. I wish them well and with Ruger's reputation, they should be GTG.

This move to casting the receiver eliminates the issue of staking the plunger tube by incorporating it in the casting.

I like that Ruger continues to use the original JMB internal extractor design. (Note to S&W: it ain't broke!)

Old school kudos to Ruger for the continued use of the GI guide rod and traditional recoil spring plug.

They also saved both cost and simplified the design with the elimination of a firing pin safety to prevent a "drop-fire". They went with a low-mass titanium firing pin eliminating an inertia caused AD in the event of a dropped gun.

Give 'er hell and shoot the snot out of all of them and report back for each range report in great detail.

If I may offer a suggestion or two,
  1. Don't mix the guns when you do the initial "New Gun Check-Out." With three to test you can mix up any issues that you may find regardless of how detailed the notes you take.
  2. Strip and clean one at a time, the GC and XSE are different internally and I'm not sure what the Ruger looks like inside.
  3. Vid the first tear-down for each of your new weapons. You wouldn't believe how much help this can be with new acquisition's.
  4. Call Aaron at Tripp Research and ask him if he can make you a better deal on a six pack of Gen II Cobra mags for your new triplets. Tell him you read about how good they are here on the FTF! ( Tripp’s Cobra Magazine Test )
I have to agree with Cane on this one. I like Ruger's revolvers, but I can not accept a cast frame for a 1911. To me, it's like building a drag racer, using cast rods instead of forged. If I owned your Ruger, I would never go above a standard/regular pressure .45 ACP, much less the 460 Rowland. Yes, only time will tell, but I would not spend the money, no matter how much cheaper, only to wind up with a cracked frame sometime in the future. Good luck!

However, Smith's external extractor, especially on their new Enhanced models, are a marked improvement over the internal one! (Sorry, Cane!)

Last edited by parinoid54; 07-01-2011 at 07:14 AM.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #19

Look at what I got for Fathers Day. Should have wiped the oil off before I took the pic.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #20

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Congrats! Again!

I hate you.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”