My New American Classic II by Metroarms - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

My New American Classic II by Metroarms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 06:12 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
Thanks for the good info Cane. Let me see if I have this straight. Are the 7 and 8 rd. mags the same dimensions?

I'm going to a USPSA match Sat. (hopefully) and someone has offered to loan me mags. Will they have to be 8 rd. mags or will 7 rds work as well?

One other question, If the mags themselves are the same could you potentially put the Tripps rebuild kit for a 8 rd. mag in a 7 rd. mag and make it a 8 rounder?
Yes, the 7 & 8 round mags are the same physical size.

Either will work but you'll reload less with 8 rounders.

Not sure on the Tripp kits, I thought they turned an 8 into a 7...

Old 04-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

They do turn an eight rounder into a seven. I've converted four mags, two CMC's and two Kimber's. I'd prefer the eight round capacity, but I prefer reliability even more.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Yes, the 7 & 8 round mags are the same physical size.

Either will work but you'll reload less with 8 rounders.

Not sure on the Tripp kits, I thought they turned an 8 into a 7...
Thanks No Good Irish Bast.,

I haven't actually looked at the kits I just assumed they offered them for both. I was just curious about that anyway, I'd rather just buy the right mag in the first place from Tripps. Assuming they fix my problem.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 04-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #14

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
They do turn an eight rounder into a seven. I've converted four mags, two CMC's and two Kimber's. I'd prefer the eight round capacity, but I prefer reliability even more.
Did you have a problem with the CMCs? Regular Shooting Stars or the Match mags? For years I've run his Match mags in my Wilson and I have a boatload of them, all 8 rounders and never had a problem even shooting fast and furious IDPA stages.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:51 PM   #15

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

I have a half-dozen old Shooting Stars that have worked well in every 1911 I've ever owned. God knows how many rounds I have put through them and they continue to work. I actually use them to test out each 1911 I pick up. Yes, I have Tripps & Wilsons also, but the old CMCs do work. I shot the Commanders this afternoon using every type of mag I have and the guns performed perfectly with all the mags...

Old 04-12-2011, 10:06 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I've used Chip's Shooting Star mags for years and have been very happy with them. The same with Wilson's.

The Chip mags springs went soft on me and stopped feeding reliably. However, the Wilson's have always performed great.

The Kimber mags seem to actually be CMC's, so while I was at it, I changed their innards out as well.

Now, there's a uniformity in my mags that I like. It may be possible that I've sipped at the Kool-Ade of Tripp Magazines, but if so, I'm happy anyway.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-13-2011, 12:01 AM   #17

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I've used Chip's Shooting Star mags for years and have been very happy with them. The same with Wilson's.

The Chip mags springs went soft on me and stopped feeding reliably. However, the Wilson's have always performed great.

The Kimber mags seem to actually be CMC's, so while I was at it, I changed their innards out as well.

Now, there's a uniformity in my mags that I like. It may be possible that I've sipped at the Kool-Ade of Tripp Magazines, but if so, I'm happy anyway.
It ain't Kool-Aid. Mr. Tripp makes a hell of a mag worth anything he asks for it. My buddy has 3 Tripp custom 1911s and they are amazing guns. Too bad he just decided to quit building pistols. I wish he would have waited for me to get a deposit down on a Commander size 10mm I've been meaning to have him build for me.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:28 AM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Update!!!

I picked up a Chip McCormick Shooting Star mag at Ace the other day. It did the same nose dive on the first try but worked on the second try. I only got to run one mag through it that day.

Today my 2nd Gen. Tripps Cobra Mag arrived and I headed back to the range. I put 6 mags through it some with 8 rds. and some with 8 +1 without a flaw! I tried the CMC three times and it nose dived every time.

I'm SOLD on the Tripps and will be ordering 3 more ASAP.

Now what to do with the other two mags. Buy another 1911 that works with them? No seriously, the feed issue is the ONLY thing I don't love about this gun, and if it continues to run like it did on the last 50 rds. I won't be buying another anytime soon.

Thanks for the advise guys! If it weren't for you guys I probably would have tried the CMC and then just been pissed about buying a crapy gun and sold it.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000