My New American Classic II by Metroarms
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > My New American Classic II by Metroarms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default My New American Classic II by Metroarms

Well, you didn't expect here to undress for you in her very first post did you?
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-10-2011, 10:27 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I was incorrect about the price the other day. It was $579 at my local Ace. I didn't realize it until I had already done the BG check and was checking out. Oh well I still love her, even if she was $100 more than I thought.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 04-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Just like the reviews said it FTFeed about 50% of the time when you load 8 rds in the mag. The problem seems to be that the top two rds tend to splay away from each other as you can see here...

When the bolt face pushes on the top edge of the 1st rd. it tips down (50% of the time) and rams the bullet straight into the frame/feed ramp where there's not enough angle to guide it up to the barrel.

So my question to you guys: Is this a typical feed problem with 1911s (I notice most who preach HP for SD still use FMJ in their 1911s) or just this gun/mag?

It's an ACT mag. is they known for being reliable or crappy? Would a different brand mag. fix this problem? Which one?

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 04-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I have a couple ACT mags that were given to me, I haven't had the chance to try them out yet.
The mags I prefer are Chip McCormick 8rd power mags, they work flawlessly in both of my Springfields with both hardball and hollow point.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:16 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congratulations, that's a good looking pistol.

Try some Tripp Cobra mags. They should do the trick and they cost about the same as Wilson's.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Nice pistol. Very interesting design on the hammer and I like the lack of markings on the right side of the slide.
It sounds like a mag issue not a gun issue. IMHO, the big three are Tripp Cobra, Wilson Combat ELM Mags, and Chip McCormick Powermags.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Last edited by mesinge2; 04-10-2011 at 11:43 PM.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:35 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks guys, I'll look into the three brands you mentioned.

Other than the 1st rd. feed problem (which I knew about before purchasing it) I love it. For the price I couldn't beat it for a first 1911, to see what features I actually care about.

Trigger feels great, nice and crisp and measures in right at a 4 lb. pull.

On a related note, don't even bother trying to switch back and forth between a double action LCP and single action 1911 in the same shooting session. It just messes you up with both guns. Once I emptied the LCP and switched back to the 1911 I fired before I was ready (still pointing at target) because I didn't realize how hard I my finger was resting on the trigger while I acquired the target center.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 04-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #8

Never heard of this brand before.

She sure looks good though.

Good luck with the new purchase.

"True Happiness is a warm .357,.45 ACP,.38 Special,.410 or a 12 gauge & a cold Sun Drop." ME

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
(Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

" Praise The Lord but Polly pass the Ammo"( Unknown)

"The 1st one through the door gets the copper coated candy." ( Andy the gunshop owner from "Dawn of the Dead")

Old 04-11-2011, 11:05 PM   #9

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
Just like the reviews said it FTFeed about 50% of the time when you load 8 rds in the mag. The problem seems to be that the top two rds tend to splay away from each other as you can see here...

When the bolt face pushes on the top edge of the 1st rd. it tips down (50% of the time) and rams the bullet straight into the frame/feed ramp where there's not enough angle to guide it up to the barrel.

So my question to you guys: Is this a typical feed problem with 1911s (I notice most who preach HP for SD still use FMJ in their 1911s) or just this gun/mag?

It's an ACT mag. is they known for being reliable or crappy? Would a different brand mag. fix this problem? Which one?
What you are experiencing is a manufacturer trying to make a 7 round mag work as an 8 and doing a PP job. Ever wonder why John Browning designed the 1911 with a 7 round mag? It’s because as a good engineer, he found 7 rounds are all you can fit into the mag tube after you include a follower, floor plate and spring while still having it function. And before you jump up in my face, those hicap plastic fantastic smooth feeders are double stack! (Staggered rounds change the feeding geometry. See what Browning did when asked to design a hi-cap 9MM, the P-35)

Ever wonder why the AR & AK mags are curved?

Geometry. In the case of the .45 ACP; when loaded in a straight mag using the original designed follower/spring configuration, 7 rounds are as many you can get to feed correctly before FTF presents.

When a gun manufacturer looks for places to save money, the magazine is usually the first place he cuts. Think about all the feed issues you have read about. They are more than likely found in the lower cost 1911s and the common response is; “try a different mag.” That's no coincidence, it’s fact. You can pretty much judge the quality of a firearm by the quality of its mag.

When a company produces only magazines like Tripp Research Inc., 100% of its R&D goes into mag development. Virgil Tripp recognized early on that all the pro shooters were using hot rod guns with hot rod magazines. Flawless function was a requirement for the pro circuit and that left the poorly functioning "stock" mags for the rest of us who couldn't afford to have a gunsmith rub on ours.

Virgil saw a market void and filled it with the up-dated (read: modern) Cobra Mag. His price point is the same as the other big mag manufacturers yet his product incorporates all the current high-tech material and processes that just weren't available to Browning.

Its the same reason I went with ISMI recoil springs. Visit their web site and read how the owner, Marc Cosat followed the same path to fill another market void. The music wire firearm springs are getting long in the tooth and Marc brought his expertise to this market and for the same price of the 100+ year old spring design offerings you can get current material and processes in a gun spring.

Want "the" reason why I went with ISMI? In the 1911 recoil spring market every manufacturer recommends a round count that once achieved, triggers a spring replacement. That’s every manufacturer except ISMI. Marc WARRANTS his recoil springs for 12 months. This is from the site;
Warranty
12 Month Replacement Warranty extends beyond just materials and workmanship. We even cover failure due to wear.
Regardless of round count, you wear it out, you get a new spring. Check Wolff's recoil spring warranty.

This old man has tried them all. With my background and experience I wouldn't use anything other than Tripp Gen II Cobra Mags and ISMI springs in my carry guns! Don't take my word for it, READ!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
What you are experiencing is a manufacturer trying to make a 7 round mag work as an 8 and doing a PP job. Ever wonder why John Browning designed the 1911 with a 7 round mag? It’s because as a good engineer, he found 7 rounds are all you can fit into the mag tube after you include a follower, floor plate and spring while still having it function.
Thanks for the good info Cane. Let me see if I have this straight. Are the 7 and 8 rd. mags the same dimensions?

I'm going to a USPSA match Sat. (hopefully) and someone has offered to loan me mags. Will they have to be 8 rd. mags or will 7 rds work as well?

One other question, If the mags themselves are the same could you potentially put the Tripps rebuild kit for a 8 rd. mag in a 7 rd. mag and make it a 8 rounder?
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!