My new 1911 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > My new 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3114 Times on 1789 Posts
Likes Given: 1326

Congrats. Be careful on contracting 1911-itis. There is no known cure, and it can drain the savings account in time.

(I still have my first 1911 I ever bought, over 35 years ago)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #12

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborden1122 View Post
Sweet pistol bro, Congrats. Im going to guess you went over the $500-$700 limit.
Yep, sure did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Welcome to the brotherhood.

You do realize that this is only the first 1911 you will own?

Now get 500 rounds of 230 gr ball ammo (WWB) and shoot the snot out of her!

This will give you the trigger time required to fully evaluate your new 1911 before you decide to make any changes. Plus, should you find any issues, the gun is unmolested and can be returned to S&W for warranty work.

Enjoy your journey into 1911 ownership and in the discovery of the best trigger in the handgun world!
Canebrake, you are absolutely correct, see my range report below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms4ever View Post
Looks good. My first and only 1911 atleast right now that is , is a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911A1. Yours reminds me somewhat of the Ruger SR1911. Can't wait to hear a range report .
Back from the range!
Notes:
(1) Bought my first firearm as an adult January this year. The 1911 is my ninth firearm added to the collection this last Friday.
(2) This being the tenth anniversary of 9-11, I must acknowledge that historic and horrific event - it is one of the reasons my wife and I decided we had better learn to defend ourselves...
(3) Targets were printed are available for free from TargetPrinter.com. They were printed on standard 8 1/2 x 11" paper. The images below are slightly cropped.

Date: September 11, 2011
Range: NRA Headquaters, Faifax, VA. Booth #6
Weapon: Smith & Wesson SW1911 TRS
Range Buddy: My son John, turns 17 later this month
Ammo: 150 rds of Speer PMC 230GR FMJ, 45 ACP
16 rounds of Hornady 200GR LE CQ 45 ACP+P

We did not have to wait when we arrived at 10:55. People recovering from flooded homes, getting ready for the Skins game, observing 9/11, who knows? Normally there's a 45 minute wait on weekends.

For every full mag I shot, my son did as well. His shots had only slightly larger groups, but 99.4% (167 out of 168 rounds) of all shots fired - even at 30 feet were on paper. Now don't laugh folks - I do plan on attaining 2" groups at 30 YARDS one day, but remember I'm still relatively new at this!

10 foot and 20 foot distances - I used bifocal range glasses so I had a clear vision of front sight. At the 21 foot target we let the bullets fly with less than one second pauses between shots, and this time I sighted through the normal vision portion of the glasses. This means my view of the sites were blurred, but that did not matter! Got all my rounds on target. We also shot at 30 feet, bench rested, but John did not care for that so we switched back to standing position.

Problems - only problem was rounds failing to chamber - I am told jams like this are absolutely normal and that I should put at least 500 rounds before I even think of changing anything on this type of gun. So I have about 350 more rounds to go and hope the jams occur less frequently over time.

The SW1911 is freakin' awesome! Someone told me to be prepared for the sweetest trigger ever invented and he wasn't kidding! The TRS version is slightly heavier with the low profile accessory rail but with a high grip this gun was brought back on target very quickly. To sum it up, I am very pleased with this gun.
sw1911_10ft_1st-round.jpg   sw1911_20ft.jpg   sw1911_21ft.jpg  

Last edited by NOVA; 09-12-2011 at 12:28 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 10-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #13

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Nice piece!

I have a question about my S&W 1911. Great shooter, unbelievable trigger, love this gun. My question is about adding an ambidextrous safety. Is it possible, and is it practical? I can release it as is with my left hand, but it's not ideal.

image-747138983.jpg

Old 10-07-2011, 11:10 PM   #14

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

S&W is a good maker. Congrats on the 1911, I'm hoping to get my first one pretty soon.

Also, congrats on the Fried Chicken. There's nothing like it, it really is a succulent delicacy. But not that KFC crap. Popeye's and churches are better. Bojangles has some really good cajun style too.

Of course the best is usually home made. I hope that's what you got to enjoy.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:47 PM   #15

Liked 29 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default My 1911

I had an almost identical experience. I ended up with the SW E series. I had the same issue with failure to feed the first time I shot it. Got some advice on this forum and took it apart and put a little grease on the slide. After less than 50 more rounds it works like a champ now. I am hoping that crimson trace comes out with a laser grip for it in the near future. I think you will be happy that you didn't go cheap with your first 1911.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:42 AM   #16

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB98338 View Post
I had an almost identical experience. I ended up with the SW E series. I had the same issue with failure to feed the first time I shot it. Got some advice on this forum and took it apart and put a little grease on the slide. After less than 50 more rounds it works like a champ now. I am hoping that crimson trace comes out with a laser grip for it in the near future. I think you will be happy that you didn't go cheap with your first 1911.
Oh, yeah, very happy! I've got 350 rounds through it now and starting to learn what it likes and does not. Like most 1911's she works better wet. Lubricated properly, it had no failures until about 200 rounds. Staying with Remington FMJ for now and will try different brands / types ammo later. Also noticed one of the two mags it came with might be causing the FTF's, so I'm thinking of getting either Chip McCormick or Wilson mags. All in good time. Meanwhile, I'm shooting 5" groups strong hand at 25 yards. Its got one sweet trigger!

Old 11-10-2011, 02:19 AM   #17

Congrats on the new S&W. Glad to hear it's shooting well. Shoot some more and keep here lubricated.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:21 AM   #18

Nice piaece. I am currently looking for my first 1911 and that might fit the bill

Old 01-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Beautiful. I'm a little jealous. I don't own a 1911, but I've been looking at them. I shoot smaller caliber. However, I've been wanting to move up. And a 1911 is on my wish list.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
S&W is a good maker. Congrats on the 1911, I'm hoping to get my first one pretty soon.

Also, congrats on the Fried Chicken. There's nothing like it, it really is a succulent delicacy. But not that KFC crap. Popeye's and churches are better. Bojangles has some really good cajun style too.

Of course the best is usually home made. I hope that's what you got to enjoy.
Please excuse a little thread drift.

I used to be a big fan of S&W, had a safe full of them. I'm down to one 642 now and I'll probably sell that soon. They're just bad for my blood pressure.

Maybe this makes no sense to a lot of you but I live in NH, about 15 miles from where Thompson Center USED to be and one of the best outfitters anywhere - Fox Ridge. S&W bought TCA and promptly shut Fox Ridge down - lots of good people out of work. Then they moved TCA. Why? Who the hell knows? Probably a margin of +.0001% increase in cash flow. In reality, probably $$ into some idiot lawyers' pockets to process the acquisition.

I don't hold "S&W" responsible per se, but every time I pick up an S&W it just reminds me of what a soulless corporation it's become and how they screwed hundreds of good NH workers.

F S&W.

Uh, IMHO.