My High Standard 1911 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > My High Standard 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2011, 02:42 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1023 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I finally aquired a little time to shoot today, i made out a range report on the range report section. Its not a long one due to i wasnt able to spend very time out so i hope tht it will do for now

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 09-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #12

Ive noticed tht my beavertail has a little play in it and rattles a tad when i walk, is tht a normal thing for it to be like tht?

Old 09-19-2011, 01:21 AM   #13
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3145 Times on 1810 Posts
Likes Given: 1342

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Ive noticed tht my beavertail has a little play in it and rattles a tad when i walk, is tht a normal thing for it to be like tht?
Side to side, or like the sear spring is not holding it enough?
If it is the sear spring and things are working safely like they are suppose to, then no problem.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-19-2011, 01:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl

Side to side, or like the sear spring is not holding it enough?
If it is the sear spring and things are working safely like they are suppose to, then no problem.
Well it works perfect, i can just wiggle it a little bit and it makes a little noise when i walk

Old 09-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #15

There are many guns that are inexpensive. The cost of a gun is often related to quality and anyone can understand that the more quality put into a gun will increase the price.

The High Standard is not a Colt, S&W or any of the other pricey guns out there but will not cost as much either. It is a gun for the casual user. If you carry daily, use it often and depend on it for work use, then a nicer gun may be called for.

Next thing to consider is having custom work done on an inexpensive gun. Spend $500 on a gun, then have $200-300 work done on it and you may as well bought a bottom or mid line quality gun. No matter what is done, the HS will not be as accurate or as fit as an upper end gun.

As to the beaver tail rattle, that is a common problem and can be fixed very easily. There is a spring behind the beaver tail and it just needs to be bent slightly to create more tension. It will stop the rattle and it will feel better in your grip. FWIW: I have some 1911 guns in the $2,000 plus range and they have all had this problem at some time or another.

You have a nice gun. Take it to the range and use it. There is no need in paying a lot for a gun that is only used 4-6 times a year at the range. My daily carry gun is a pricey 1911 that is shot 2-3 times a week and sees over 4,000 rounds sent down range annually. It is the gun my life depends on daily and in all types of weather. Under those conditions, I want a higher quality firearm.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #16

Liked 9208 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Oldman45 I have to disagree with you on one point. There are many many many workhorse guns out there that are cheap and used everyday, rode hard and put up wet so to speak. A multi thousand dollar custom would be nice, and I wish I could have one myself, but this guy's High Standard usually runs about the same price as my Smith and Wesson revolver, if not a little more. Mine has the supposedly cursed pinned barrel and the notched forcing cone, but I bet my life on it every day. I'm no longer pulling combat duty in Iraq and Afghanistan, but I still wouldn't be afraid to take it there any day of the week, and I do travel around Memphis quite a bit I've handled one of these High Standard 1911's when they came on the market a few years ago, and I'll tell you one thing, in the gunshop I was extremely impressed with the fit, finish and smoothness of the piece. The slide felt like it was riding on well oiled ball bearings. I handled a Kimber and Colt sitting in the case right next to it and they didn't feel half as nice.

What I'm getting at, is yeah the big names have some nice tools, and probably great customer service, and good reliability. And while generally yes you do get what you pay for, there are somethings that are simply just a good value. For this High Standard, if you look at the stock set-up, it is comparably priced to some of the other makers such as springfield, the new remington, and I think the Colt series 70 (not sure on this one) particularly when it comes to the milspec models. Yeah the HS is a bit cheaper even than these, but really, other than the Philippines stamp on the dustcover, I'm really impressed.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Oldman45 I have to disagree with you on one point. There are many many many workhorse guns out there that are cheap and used everyday, rode hard and put up wet so to speak. A multi thousand dollar custom would be nice, and I wish I could have one myself, but this guy's High Standard usually runs about the same price as my Smith and Wesson revolver, if not a little more. Mine has the supposedly cursed pinned barrel and the notched forcing cone, but I bet my life on it every day. I'm no longer pulling combat duty in Iraq and Afghanistan, but I still wouldn't be afraid to take it there any day of the week, and I do travel around Memphis quite a bit I've handled one of these High Standard 1911's when they came on the market a few years ago, and I'll tell you one thing, in the gunshop I was extremely impressed with the fit, finish and smoothness of the piece. The slide felt like it was riding on well oiled ball bearings. I handled a Kimber and Colt sitting in the case right next to it and they didn't feel half as nice.

What I'm getting at, is yeah the big names have some nice tools, and probably great customer service, and good reliability. And while generally yes you do get what you pay for, there are somethings that are simply just a good value. For this High Standard, if you look at the stock set-up, it is comparably priced to some of the other makers such as springfield, the new remington, and I think the Colt series 70 (not sure on this one) particularly when it comes to the milspec models. Yeah the HS is a bit cheaper even than these, but really, other than the Philippines stamp on the dustcover, I'm really impressed.
It is your right to disagree with me. You are not the first to do so and I respect all opinions adverse to mine.

Yet I would say your pinned barrel S&W is a nicer gun than a HS will ever be and has a lot more value on the used market. The quality that goes in to S&W is way past what goes into foreign goods.

Are you aware the US government will not allow contracts for any items, especially firearm, that are not made in the US?

As to trusting your life to a gun, that is up to personal interpretation. I have seen many deceased individuals due to a cheap (Saturday Night Specials) gun not working as it should. These are individuals that carried for whatever reason but when the odds were against them, their gun failed to work. NO law enforcement agency will use a HS. Their testing just does not meet the standards of high useage. Most departments use the name brand guns, be they Glock, S&W, Sig or whatever. When a person, such as I, goes into high risk areas to deal with low life people that has no respect for human life, we need a gun that will work every time and under the worst possible conditions. I have many firearms. Most are S&W but there are other name brand guns I own as well. I also own a Llama 1911. It was cheap to buy and it works flawlessly 90% of the time but I will not trust my life to 90%. I will occasionally shoot it or let others with me use it at the range. A HS is no different. It is a gun that works and at a reasonable price. However when it breaks or malfunctions, the cost to repair will increase the investment in the gun and can make it not cost effective to own.

Consider the warranty on a HS. It is not a lifetime warranty but a limited warranty. Once someone has worked on the gun, even the limited warranty is no longer valid.

Still, a good gun for the money but not for one that works with a gun daily. It is a great gun for self defense carry or target shooting. Unless the barrel is changed, it will not give 2" groups at 30 feet but then most shooters are not capable of doing that anyway. Again, it is a good gun and from what I got out of the original post, it will suit the owner's needs well for years to come.

Also, their .22 pistol is assembled in the US and makes a great performing target gun.

Last edited by oldman45; 09-21-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
It is a great gun for self defense carry or target shooting.
This is what I was trying to say

Old 09-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
Are you aware the US government will not allow contracts for any items, especially firearm, that are not made in the US?
And yes I did know this, hence Beretta and FN Herstal plants here in the U.S.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #20

After owning this gun and putting about 300 rounds through it, it has not made a hiccup or malfunctioned one time. I understand tht some people will look down on certain brands because they have the money to buy all these "high end" firearms so they become to good for anything below a certain price range.. In my eyes price isnt always everything.. Ive heard of some of these high end companies producing total crap tht is constantly needing repair or machining to get them to function properly. Ive shot my HS enough to know tht it isnt a saturday night special, u need to check out my range report and look at the photos. I would definately trust my life with it. Just because it doesnt cost over $1,000.00 doesnt mean its an unworthy 1911.. But like i said some people can afford to buy watever they want, the HS shouldnt get the stink eye just because its $500-$600