my first 1911
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > my first 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default my first 1911

i got my first 1911 about 3 weeks ago and love it. its the Springfield GI 1911. i know its not the most expensive but i figured it be a good starter. ive been keeping the magazines loaded for protection. is there any thing wrong with this? i read somewhere that you should do this so i thought id ask yall. im so pleased with my 1911 im already looking at building one soif there is anyone here that has done that and would be willing to answer some questions in the future please tell me.

thanks dylan

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-10-2010, 08:55 PM   #2

also what are some good hollow tips that will feed good in the 1911?

Old 04-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Dylan - Not sure if I have seen you before, so Welcome to the FTF Community and Welcome to the wonderful world of the 1911.

As for building a 1911, from the ground up, there is quite a bit to it that would include some special jigs and tools. It's not a real "snap together" type of kit. A good 1911 has a lot of handfit parts.

As for the ammo question, this is one the most common, and impossible to answer, questions every new gun owner asks.

You will need to shoot a lot of different types and see what your weapon shoots well, is reliable, and makes you feel comfortable shooting.

Normally, with a 1911 in .45ACP, the standard response is a 230gr hollowpoint - and there are a ton of them out there. However, there are other rounds that feature a "lighter" round that will be every bit as damaging but with reduced recoil.

The best advice I can offer is to do a lot of shooting and keep a log of your results.

I personally carry Ranger Hollowpoints pictured below. They are not commonly available to the civilian community, but if you shop around, you can probably find some.

Good luck!

JD

1926_pd884916_1.jpg  

Old 04-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congratulations Dylan! You own a rock solid 1911.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-10-2010, 10:36 PM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Congrats!
The 1911 is a great pistol with a lot of history behind it.
I too own a GI Springfield, they're great

Old 04-11-2010, 12:12 AM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Good choice.
I'm sure you'll love it.
Post up some photos and a range report when you can.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 04-11-2010, 12:24 AM   #7

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Great choice Dylan!

The 1911 pattern pistol is tough to beat. (and you have a great one!)

JD put it best, when selecting PD ammo you will have little to do with the selection, your gun will tell you what it likes!

But don't start to listen until you have about 500 rounds of ball ammo down range. Let the gun break-in, keep it clean and lubed. It will serve you well for a lifetime.

You will own many guns in your lifetime and probably several 1911s but this springer will always be your first! Enjoy the ride.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-11-2010, 12:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanpowell View Post
i got my first 1911 about 3 weeks ago and love it. its the Springfield GI 1911. i know its not the most expensive but i figured it be a good starter. ive been keeping the magazines loaded for protection. is there any thing wrong with this? i read somewhere that you should do this so i thought id ask yall. im so pleased with my 1911 im already looking at building one soif there is anyone here that has done that and would be willing to answer some questions in the future please tell me.

thanks dylan
Congradulations on your first 1911, I bought my first 1911 just about the same time, Being a lot older I went for a Springfield 1911 EMP, 9mm. Got to the range last week and I love the trigger action on the single action. I havn't shot a 1911 since the corp day back in 1958.
Hope you enjoy your pistol as much as I love mine!

Old 04-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #9

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

I personally carry Ranger Hollowpoints pictured below. They are not commonly available to the civilian community, but if you shop around, you can probably find some.

JD

About how much of this ammo do you need to shoot to know it is reliable, and how often should you practice with this specific bullet. $40 per box is a little high to spit hundreds of rounds down range. Outside the range, looks like a round I would keep loaded up while carrying.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 04-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan0626 View Post
About how much of this ammo do you need to shoot to know it is reliable, and how often should you practice with this specific bullet. $40 per box is a little high to spit hundreds of rounds down range. Outside the range, looks like a round I would keep loaded up while carrying.
This will vary from person to person...some will say 50 others say 200 rounds down range without a single problem. If you put 100 rounds thru it without a problem, odds are you won't have one.
I know what you mean when you say $40/box is a bit pricey but remember, you may be better your life on that $40 and spending $80 to put 100 rounds thru it is a small price. There are many good options out there, Gold Dots, Hydra Shoks, I carry Federal HSTs. Winchester DPX is getting more popular too.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer