My first 1911
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > My first 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 09:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default My first 1911

Long, strange story starting with a quest for a nice used Kimber Pro CDP II...

Short(er) version: A nice 1911 has been on the want list for some time but not until I found just the right one....

My XD45c has been my constant companion since purchasing it, which was never my intention for it but while getting to know the gun I got a little attached to it. Fast forward- I decided to send it in to get some custom work done and therefor needed to fill it's absent spot for however long (hence the "always have two of your preferred carry" recommendation by some) so it was time to look a little harder for that Kimber I wanted prior to shipping the XD out. No such luck- everything in decent condition is within a couple hundred bucks of a new one so I decided to bite the bullet and buy a new one...

While shopping around for the best price I stumble across this beauty, in fantastic condition, at a price I would have regretted not throwing down for it later- not much more than a new CDP.

I can pick it up this tuesday and I am beside myself that my first 1911 is going to be a NHC very close to what I would have picked out had I ordered it new.

Needless to say the XD will not be going in for any work now until my wife and I are back on speaking terms...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-06-2009, 09:16 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Very cool! Congratulations on the find (and good luck with the wife).
Sarge

Exotic wood .45 grip maker
www.thefinergrain.com

Old 02-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

NHC? Night Hawk Custom?? I can't see any images here at work *shaking fist* - so I will be tagging this and checking this thread out later on this evening.

Congrats on the new addition. Any 1911 is the best answer to the question: What's the best pistol for ______

JD

Old 02-06-2009, 09:27 PM   #4

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Nice pistol, I like it. I've heard alot about them and I want one too. I just don't like the fact that it's bobtail.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 02-06-2009, 10:13 PM   #5

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Very nice, me likie!

The NH is one of the few 1911s I would consider spending the big $ on!

Let us in on the range action as soon as you get 'er home.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-07-2009, 01:42 AM   #6

That's a really nice piece that you got Slawth - is that from the Talon family? Or the GRP? I have the GRP in a full size and I love it. It's an amazing model.

Did you get the magazine deal from Nighthawk? Even if you are the second, or third, owner I believe that you can qualify for their purchase deal.

Welcome to the Nighthawk Family!

JD

Old 02-07-2009, 04:13 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nice lookin' gun.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:37 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the compliments, not that they are helping to ease the yearning to hold the damn thing in my hand and then run a couple boxes through it. I actually had trouble falling asleep last night, thinking about shooting it. That's a little ridiculous.

Dillinger, it is a Talon II. I've seen a small glimpse of yours in the range bag thread, (it would appear you have more than just the GRP) Magazine deal? No, enlighten me please... I am lead to believe I am the second owner and the gun has only had a couple hundred rounds run through it but we all know how that goes. Just looking at the wear around the ejection port and the "well loved" gator grips would lead me to think otherwise. Not that it matters- I am going to put new springs in it to be safe. Any other suggestions?

dragunovsks, I actually would have spec'd the bobtail had I ordered it new so that was $150 I didn't have to spend... well... directly anyway,lol.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #9

Slawth - Yes, I have three Nighthawks actually. I met the guys from Nighthawk in Vegas at SHOT in 2004 or 2005 and was immediately impressed with their knowledge and the caliber of their product. I have two and my girl has the other one, which is a Talon II in 9mm and the steel frame. Then she went and put pink grips on there...

Call Nighthawk in Berrysville and register your firearm with them. When you do, ask if you qualify for their magazine deal, you should unless they have changed their policies. They provide ( 6 ) Novak Square D magazines for $99 to any who buy their firearms. As a new purchaser, I was able to buy as many groups of ( 6 ) as I wanted.

I got 18 for $298 for my GRP and I got ( 12 ) more for my T3 daily carry. These are top shelf magazines that all functioned flawlessly in the weapon.

The Talon II we have in 9mm has cycled everything we fed it, though I did change out the recoil spring to handle 135gr. self defense rounds, so at first the weapon wouldn't always cycle with the stock 115gr. range rounds. Now that it is broke in, it will cycle them without a problem.

I am looking forward to your range experience to see what you think. Personally, I feel this is the tightest, most well built 1911 I have every fired and love them. I have designs on getting another one, just because I can't control myself.

Please keep us updated because matt g is considering a purchase from Nighthawk as well and the more information he has prior to purchase the better it will be for him should he choose to go this route...

JD

Old 02-11-2009, 08:17 PM   #10

Great deal, consider it a blessing if your wife ISN'T speaking to you, use the time to go shooting, my ex is gone, but my guns are still by my bed, LOL

My shooting buddies' nephew got a Kimber ultra carry and got rid of his XD.

Long live the 1911!