Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > My colt 1911 gov, Any info???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 06:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My colt 1911 gov, Any info???

Hey guys, just wanted to see if anyone can tell me anything about my colt. I have had it for about 3 years now. It was given to me by a close friend as a birthday gift. Its all original except the grips and possibly the sights. The mags are colt brand 8rd and 7rd. the serial # from what i can tell places it at about 68 or 69 date. That is all i can tell and find about it. I had a Cabelas appraiser tell me it is a nice one put not worth to much he said about 600. Is this true? I don't know if i believe that but i could be wrong. Any way here are the pics if you guys need anymore let me know. Thanks for the help.

pb150058-640x480-.jpg   pb150059-640x480-.jpg   pb150060-640x480-.jpg   pb150061-640x480-.jpg   pb150062-640x480-.jpg  

A person who owns a firearm is a free man,A person who dosen't is a slave to there Country.Think about it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-02-2010, 07:32 AM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Your appraiser probably is not all that far off. From a user standpoint the Colt mags can be a drawback being many 191 owners will put stock mags up and get better ones from any one of a few makers. It does look like the sights look like theywhereput on later but I'm really not enough of a Colt guy to say that with 100% confidence.
As a collector piece it does not look to have been refinished and that is a good thing. Aftermarket finishes can bring value down.

Bottom line is the weapon is not that old so unless one was to find a collector with a hole that only that weapon could fill it would get what used Colts bring these days. Colts run a litle higher than some others mainly because they where the guys to bring us this wonderful design that has taken the world by storm and it does not look like any pistol will remove it from it's throne any time soon. Most Colts I've shot and/or owned have been very nice pistols. Reliable, accurate, and just plain good looking. With your post worded as it is I'm guessing you are looking to sell it and are fishing for a price. I would look to sell it to a person and not to a shop.
You will come out much better 95% of the time. You might try looking at gunbroker and see what ones in similar shape are selling for. Check to see if any are in your area as geography can have a lot to do with what a firearm will bring.

You have a real nice pistol there. It was me and I didn't have to I'd surely not be looking to get rid of it. It sure wont get any less valuable over time as long as it's being taken care of.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2615 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

It looks like there are a couple of dings / scratches. He gave a fair price and I would sell that for around the same (based on what I see). My concern would be (as buyer), what else has been worked on? Aftermarket grips and different sights are signs that other things may have been attempted. Looking closer and shooting it would give me more of an idea.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 12-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #4

thanks for your input on this guys. Im not looking to sell it, i just wanted to get more of an idea about it. I cant believe it is only worth about 600. You can get a para for that. Oh well. On its originality im pretty sure other then the sights and grips everything thing is still original even the springs.

A person who owns a firearm is a free man,A person who dosen't is a slave to there Country.Think about it.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter View Post
thanks for your input on this guys. Im not looking to sell it, i just wanted to get more of an idea about it. I cant believe it is only worth about 600. You can get a para for that. Oh well. On its originality im pretty sure other then the sights and grips everything thing is still original even the springs.
I got my Para LTC new for a little over 600. It's scary accurate at 25 yards.I've hit golf balls at 50 yds. with it. I wouldn't be too quick to downplay a Para Ord

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Nice Pre-70 Series Commercial Gov't models bring more than $600. The problem with yours is that some moron put Millet sights on it. Look inside the slide where the front sight mounts. Are there two round holes? If so, it is a "dual crimp" front sight. Yech. The holes can be welded shut and a good front sight done . The rear is easy to change. Those sights were VERY popular in the mid '70's.

Good news? Since it has been gorked already, just mount some Heinie low mount "slant pros" on it. Then use the snot out of it.

Lose those silly stocks, too. Jeez.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-02-2010, 10:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Nice Pre-70 Series Commercial Gov't models bring more than $600. The problem with yours is that some moron put Millet sights on it. Look inside the slide where the front sight mounts. Are there two round holes? If so, it is a "dual crimp" front sight. Yech. The holes can be welded shut and a good front sight done . The rear is easy to change. Those sights were VERY popular in the mid '70's.

Good news? Since it has been gorked already, just mount some Heinie low mount "slant pros" on it. Then use the snot out of it.

Yeah it is a dual crimp. thanks for the info

Old 12-02-2010, 11:44 PM   #8

Oh i have some beckelhymers wood grips that came with it to. I dont know anything about them.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post

Are these better?
pb160063-copy-640x480-.jpg  

Old 12-03-2010, 03:15 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter View Post
Are these better?
So much better! Now we're getting somewhere.